No No Subjects

1 view

Walrus Hamster

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Firstly just a quick thanks to everyone (well almost!) on this n.g. I've
gained alot of inspiration and weaned many useful facts from others.

What I'd like to know is, are there any subjects/topics that are definate no
no's to write about? For example; would a story on rape sell? Yes, I know
The Accused, but perhaps that was enough on the subject and besides, that
was then.

Any advise/knowledge on what stories are best left in the desk drawer will
be much appreciated.

Walrus

Anthony Jacobson

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Anything having to do with NAMBLA.

Craig Franck

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
"Walrus Hamster" <cg.ma...@virgin.net> wrote:
>Firstly just a quick thanks to everyone (well almost!) on this n.g. I've
>gained alot of inspiration and weaned many useful facts from others.
>
>What I'd like to know is, are there any subjects/topics that are definate no
>no's to write about? For example; would a story on rape sell? Yes, I know
>The Accused, but perhaps that was enough on the subject and besides, that
>was then.
>
>Any advise/knowledge on what stories are best left in the desk drawer will
>be much appreciated.

Students shooting up their high school. Also, certain reversals in
which the victim gets spun into the bad guy can be touchy, but just
about any switch can work if it's compelling enough.

--
Craig
clfr...@worldnet.att.net

Mike Shields

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:41:13 -0700, Walrus Hamster wrote:

> What's NAMBLA??
>

> Anthony Jacobson
> <jaco...@goodstory.com> wrote:
>

>> Anything having to do with NAMBLA.

Ok, on the off chance that no one has chimed in with North American Man Boy
Love Association, allow me the opportunity to do so. Among their most heinous
crimes, is that they wish to make pedophilia legal.

Mike

--
When a guy does that, it just means his eyes are open. -- Xander, Buffy the
Vampire Slayer

Walrus Hamster

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
What's NAMBLA??

----------
In article <37C70186...@goodstory.com>, Anthony Jacobson
<jaco...@goodstory.com> wrote:

>Anything having to do with NAMBLA.
>

>Walrus Hamster wrote:
>
>> Firstly just a quick thanks to everyone (well almost!) on this n.g. I've
>> gained alot of inspiration and weaned many useful facts from others.
>>
>> What I'd like to know is, are there any subjects/topics that are definate no
>> no's to write about? For example; would a story on rape sell? Yes, I know
>> The Accused, but perhaps that was enough on the subject and besides, that
>> was then.
>>
>> Any advise/knowledge on what stories are best left in the desk drawer will
>> be much appreciated.
>>

>> Walrus

Steven Weller

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

The North American May/Boy Love Association - a upport group for
homosexual pedophiles.

I KILL at Trivial Pursuit.
--
Life Continues, Despite
Evidence to the Contrary,

Steven

Paul W. Silver

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
>Life Continues, Despite
>Evidence to the Contrary,

What evidence have you found to the effect that life does not continue?

--Paul

BettrDuck

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
>Firstly just a quick thanks to everyone (well almost!) on this n.g. I've
>gained alot of inspiration and weaned many useful facts from others.

Fucking aye right your thankful, I been skooling these hucklebucks since the
way back, ya heard? Still they hate on me though, almost all of them, sitting
on the sidelines drinking all the Haterade. Hating ass haters hating on me. I
hate y'all too.

>What I'd like to know is, are there any subjects/topics that are definate no
>no's to write about?

The Turner Diaries. A work of fiction about a hater.

As bad as The Turner Diaries is, and I can see how a someone with a mental
disabilty could misunderstand the book, but I can't believe we are still
banning books. At the Borders by my house, they had a "Banned Book Week" where
they featured a section with Tom Sawyer and Catcher, so I asked where the
Turner Diaries were and the employee looked at me like I was Timothy McVey.

They got 3 different printings of Mein Kampf on the shelf, softcover, trade,
deluxe, I just dont understand the logic behind allowing that shit on the
shelves and making people special order The Turner Diaries.

I would sign my regular screen name here, but it could possibly be
misinterpreted.

My opinions on these written works are not comments on race or governement.
Plus I'm good looking and chicks dig me.

cvm

Dstrbd042

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

>The North American May/Boy Love Association - a upport group for
>homosexual pedophiles.
>
>I KILL at Trivial Pursuit.

Bah.
I knew that.

A "representative" was on Howard Stern once.
Heh.

-Di含urbed
Dstr...@aol.com
http://members.xoom.com/Disturbed42

Reminds me of one of those "groups" Carlin liked to announce as being in his
audience at the start of the show...

Dstrbd042

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

My grandmother's sig file says "The world is not coming to an end.
We're going to have to cope."

-Di含urbed
Dstr...@aol.com
http://members.xoom.com/Disturbed42

LauraMllr

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
>The North American Man/Boy Love Association - a support group for

>homosexual pedophiles.
>
>I KILL at Trivial Pursuit.

Do you, by any chance, play Trivial Pursuit with members of NAMBLA? Have you
thought of starting?

Paula

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Bettr Duck wrote:

>At the Borders by my house, they had a "Banned Book Week" where
>they featured a section with Tom Sawyer and Catcher, so I asked where the
>Turner Diaries were and the employee looked at me like I was Timothy McVey.

Hmmmm. Borders DOES carry The Turner Diaries. We've got it on OUR shelves.
But then again, McVeigh's former attorney shops at our store. Coincidence?

But you still have to special order the teen fave, The Anarchist's Cookbook,
which is kind of a joke, since anyone with a modem and a keyboard can get all
that info anyway - FREE.

For books on subject matter that's probably not going to be adapted for
mainstream films, check out just about anything published by Paladin Press.
Yikes.

As far as censored material, I'll only type the words "Jock Sturgis". Yeah his
stuff might seem kind of creepy unless you believe his argument that he is
merely documenting the nudist lifestyle. Aesthetically, they're beautiful
photographs. But the creepy, CREEPY people who buy his books don't seem to be
uh ... aesthetically-inclined. We had a bunch of fundamentalists (led by a guy
named "Flip") descend on our store and begin tearing up his books and throwing
them at the staff. Several "protesters" were arrested. To stop carrying Jock
Sturgis books would be ridiculous. (Have these people even LOOKED at
Joel-Peter Witkin, for god's sake?!!!)

The biggest complaint my bookstore gets is the fact that we have a Gay &
Lesbian section. "But my child can SEE that!" Personally, I think people
should raise an eyebrow over the fact that the books on Death & Dying are right
next to the books on Aging, and that the Sex books are right next to the Sexual
Addiction books. And, of course, all the Anton La Vey and Aleister Crowley is
just inches away from Billy Graham and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. The people who
maintain those sections always delight in dueling endcaps.

(Having nothing to do with anything except bookstore displays - the ones not
PAID FOR by publishers! - my recent favorite was one in our Philosophy section:
a Rene Descartes title next to a nice pretty "coffee table book" (..."Where's
your Coffee Table Book section"...?!!) on horses. The handful of people who
got it were probably amused.)

Paula

David

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Based on what audiences are paying money to see today I'd say nothing is out
of bounds.