big rig out of control (Photo)

Truckstops2004

Jul 18, 2004, 11:02:53 AM7/18/04
http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/07/17/75874.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=News
&sp3=Local+News&sp5=RGJ.com&sp6=news&sp7=local_news&jsmultitag=news.rgj.co
m/news/local

A tractor-trailer rig went out of control early Saturday on westbound
Interstate 80 in Reno, slammed into a bridge abutment near Virginia Street and
burst into flames, killing the driver, authorities said.

Donald Champion, 54, was pronounced dead at the scene, said Sgt. Ron Larson of
the Nevada Highway Patrol. His hometown could not be confirmed.

“The cab of truck was basically shattered,” Larson said.

No one else was in the truck, and the fiery wreck did not injure any passing
motorists, Larson said.

“It was at 3 in the morning so fortunately there wasn’t much traffic,” he
added.

The bridge over I-80 near Virginia Street caught fire and was damaged but was
repaired by Nevada Department of Transportation crews, the trooper said.

Reno police shut down the overpass during the repairs, and westbound I-80
traffic in the area was rerouted for about three hours. The westbound onramp to
I-80 at Virginia Street also was closed, Larson said. Traffic reopened about 6
a.m.

A passing motorist reported that several explosions occurred on the truck after
the crash, flames shot high into the air, and a foul smell originated from the
truck.

The NHP said records do not indicate the truck was carrying anything and that
it had no substance identification placards, but the investigation was
continuing.

The initial investigation did not determine what caused the crash. “We are
looking into that,” Larson said. “But for an unknown reason, the truck
drifted to the right.”

A special team of NHP inspectors was called to the scene to see if the crash
could be mechanically related, but no report had been issued Saturday evening,
Larson said.

The truck was headed west on I-80 about 3:02 a.m. when it drifted off the north
side of the highway and onto a dirt shoulder before striking a highway marker,
Larson said. The truck continued west and eventually struck a bridge-support
beam at the downtown Reno exit and burst into flames, he said. The speed limit
in the area is 65 mph but the truck’s speed at the time was not immediately
known.

The preliminary investigation showed Champion was driving for U.S. Express,
Larson said. Troopers did not know where the truck was headed or where it
originated. U.S. Express and the driver’s family could not be reached
Saturday night.

The crash could be heard throughout the immediate area, including by an
employee working overnight at the nearby Walgreens.

“She heard it and felt it,” said Mark Klausner, a manager of the store.
“She heard it hit and went outside to look. That is when she saw the
explosion.”

abs

Jul 18, 2004, 11:36:34 AM7/18/04

And now ... can we get any info on crashes where only normal cars were
involved???????????

truckinsp

Jul 18, 2004, 12:06:07 PM7/18/04
>And now ... can we get any info on crashes where only normal cars were
>involved???????????

There are several auto newsgroups where car wrecks are discussed.....this is
a TRUCKING NG, so isn't it obvious that truck wrecks might be of more
interest?

You will note that he puts in articles where the truck driver WAS NOT AT
FAULT most of the times.....but yes, he sometimes includes cases where the
truck driver was at fault.....I think he's trying to be fair.....and as one
of his latest articles shows, EVEN IF the truck driver was not at fault, his
and his company's chances of being sued are high....especially if the suing
lawyer can prove that the log was "inaccurate".......

Do you think because this is a trucking NG, that we should ignore truck
wrecks? Pretend like they don't exist???? If you look at BLS statistics,
truck driving is STILL one of the more dangerous jobs out there.....and
drivers need to be aware of that.....
http://money.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P63405.asp

truckinsp

Jul 18, 2004, 12:30:50 PM7/18/04
>The truck was headed west on I-80 about 3:02 a.m. when it drifted off the
north
>side of the highway and onto a dirt shoulder before striking a highway
marker,

A LOT of one vehicle crashes happen at night even when the driver HAS gotten
enough sleep, and since there are many drivers who have to drive at
night.......I'm wondering if there isn't more that the highway engineers
could do to help this situation......

We all know that it is easier to concentrate during the day because we have
all of those visual triggers going on....other cars, noise, etc.....but at
night when there are very few other vehicles on the roadway and all you see
is the repetitive white lines (which to me have a hypnotic effect if I am
not actively TRYING to concentrate), there isn't much to stimulate the brain
visually, so then most of us start getting into a "mind drift"........would
RANDOMLY painting one of those white bars a different color (say green
maybe?) be enough of a visual trigger to break whatever mind drift a driver
would be in??? It would have to be VERY RANDOM and not too many in a mile,
otherwise the driver's brain wouldn't trigger that something is
"different".......

Rocky Roads

Jul 18, 2004, 1:10:19 PM7/18/04

"truckinsp" <truckinsp@ nowhere.com> wrote in message

truckinsp. I know you mean well, but your post prove you have never driven
a truck at night.

It isn't what you can see as in the "repetitive white lines" it is what you
can not see and why. You can turn your brights on and that helps quite a
bit, but you can not leave them on. So you end up driving beyond your
headlights more than half the time. FYI since a car can stop faster, they
do not have that problem.

I think the interstates were designed so drivers could leave their brights
on, but how many drivers do that? Not me.

Don Poaps

Jul 20, 2004, 5:14:28 PM7/20/04

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Rocky Roads" <n...@spam.today> wrote in message

> Stuff Snipped>

> truckinsp. I know you mean well, but your post prove you have never
driven
> a truck at night.
>
> It isn't what you can see as in the "repetitive white lines" it is what
you
> can not see and why. You can turn your brights on and that helps quite a
> bit, but you can not leave them on. So you end up driving beyond your
> headlights more than half the time. FYI since a car can stop faster, they
> do not have that problem.
>
> I think the interstates were designed so drivers could leave their brights
> on, but how many drivers do that? Not me.

I've seen Bridge Abuttments right against the white line. It's no wonder a
big Truck just off a bit at Night time could slam dunk a support. And going
at a speed of 65 or more it doesn't take much to wander off. I've even been
pulled off by uneven pavement and pushed off the road.

In away, I'm glad my truck will only do 62. (Except Down hill).

I Try and run with my brights, but most of the time. I'm in the North
East. There are too may vehicle going in the opposite directions. It's these
vehilcles with the super bright low beams. They have not been aimed right.
Man, They blast you right in the eyes. There Highs are even worse.

Don
3678