Let's get rid of "roadgeek" from our vocabulary!

Bradley Torr

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Greetings, one and all,

I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby. Also, it may
lower the self-esteems of those highway enthusiasts who are just coming to
terms with their love of roads. Roadfandom is also on the outer margins of
the transport hobbies already; perhaps if we were no longer known as
'roadgeeks', we would find that this marginalisation will lessen.

Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when compared
to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are looked
upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?

As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
* roadfan
* roadnut
* road enthusiast
* highwayfan
* viaphile (from the Latin "via", road; and "philus", lover)
* road lover

Any suggestions, comments, dissertations, etc. are welcome.

Regards,
Bradley.
Vivaphilus nunc sum et viaphilus aeternus ero!

ze...@magicnet.net

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
How about Roadasm addicts...

----------
In article <01bf4abf$e5c27a80$221f083d@default>, "Bradley Torr"

Russell Blau

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
"Bradley Torr" <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * road lover

As in the immortal words of Lennon and McCartney -- "Why don't we d-do
it in the road?" :-)

I'll vote for "roadfan," thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Adam Froehlig

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Once a roadgeek, always a roadgeek. And I'm a roadgeek, dammit...

Froggie | Meridian, MS | http://www.mississippi.net/~froggie/roads/

Bob Chessick

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
We couldn't give a you-know-what about political correctness here. If you
don't want to be a roadgeek, just call yourself something else.

Bradley Torr <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Greetings, one and all,
>
> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
> noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
> that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby. Also, it may
> lower the self-esteems of those highway enthusiasts who are just coming to
> terms with their love of roads. Roadfandom is also on the outer margins of
> the transport hobbies already; perhaps if we were no longer known as
> 'roadgeeks', we would find that this marginalisation will lessen.
>
> Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
> public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when compared
> to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are
looked
> upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
> 'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
> 'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?
>

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:

BCBA

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Bradley Torr wrote:

> Greetings, one and all,
>
> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
> noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
> that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby. Also, it may
> lower the self-esteems of those highway enthusiasts who are just coming to
> terms with their love of roads. Roadfandom is also on the outer margins of
> the transport hobbies already; perhaps if we were no longer known as
> 'roadgeeks', we would find that this marginalisation will lessen.
>
> Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
> public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when compared
> to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are looked
> upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
> 'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
> 'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?

like computer "guru" once a term gets started it's hard to change it.
and fortunately "I.S. guy" is becoming more common around the
corporation...as compared to "technoweenie"

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * roadfan

"roadfan" gets my vote of those listed. I suppose there's a combination
of habit, tradition and some sense of identity built up with
"roadgeek"...but it does seem to have a tinge of that social-misfit
self-esteem problem that is mentioned here occasionally. At least it's
not "roadnerd"

The first instance of 3200 references to "roadgeek" I found in deja was
12-28-97 by hairline@aol.
"...a mythical I-875 outer-outerbelt that I've read about on some
roadgeek sites."

> * roadnut
> * road enthusiast
> * highwayfan
> * viaphile (from the Latin "via", road; and "philus", lover)

"why don't we do it in the road"

> * road lover
>
> Any suggestions, comments, dissertations, etc. are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Bradley.
> Vivaphilus nunc sum et viaphilus aeternus ero!

is that like "life is a highway; i want to ride it all night long"...?

--bruce

kurumi

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
ze...@magicnet.net wrote:

> How about Roadasm addicts...

I call out the Buzzcocks and claim my... sorry, wrong ng.

--
kurumi http://www.kurumi.com

Frank Curcio

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
<bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> writes:

>I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
>noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
>that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby.

Last time we went through this idea, Roads Scholar was one of the "winning"
suggestions.

There is a trucking firm named Roads Scholar that plies the roads of New
Jersey. I don't know where it's based.

As for the name change itself, it didn't take hold last time and the posters
and postings now are geekier than ever.

A roadgeek by any other name....

Regards,
Frank

Ron Newman

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
On 20 Dec 1999 17:26:51 GMT, in article
<19991220122651...@nso-bk.aol.com>, franc...@aol.com stated...

>In article <01bf4abf$e5c27a80$221f083d@default>, "Bradley Torr"
><bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> writes:
>
>>I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
>>noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
>>that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby.
>
>Last time we went through this idea, Roads Scholar was one of the "winning"
>suggestions.

Robin Washington's transportation column in The Boston Herald is called
"Roads Scholar".

See http://www.bostonherald.com/bostonherald/lonw/road12201999.htm
for the latest column.

--
Ron Newman rne...@thecia.net
http://www2.thecia.net/users/rnewman/home.html

Ron Newman

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
My vote is for "roadfan", an easy parallel with the
familiar "railfan". Some people are both railfans and roadfans.

Exile on Market Street

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
<bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

> Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
> public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when compared
> to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are looked
> upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
> 'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
> 'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?

Just so you know:

Railfans are not universally loved -- and railroad employees especially
tend to detest them, mainly because they have this habit of wandering
around railroad properties with cameras but without permission, thus
risking injury.

They have a derogatory term for them -- two, actually.

The milder term is "foamer", as in a rabid animal.

The really annoying ones are called "FRNs" ("F**king Rail Nuts").

--
Sandy Smith, University Relations / 215.898.1423 / smi...@pobox.upenn.edu
Associate Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_ cur...@pobox.upenn.edu

"...the Mozart of Usenet Dilettantes..."
--ad...@interlog.com, in the "Zoning..." thread on a.p.u, m.t.u-t
----------------------------------------------and m.t.r, referring to me--

SPUI

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Fine with me - you can go to #roadfan - the rest of us will stay in
#roadgeek tho :)

--
Daniel Moraseski
http://spui.cjb.net/index.html - FL and NJ roads, and also a list of all

Bradley Torr <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Greetings, one and all,
>

> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the
> noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe

> that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby. Also, it may
> lower the self-esteems of those highway enthusiasts who are just coming to
> terms with their love of roads. Roadfandom is also on the outer margins of
> the transport hobbies already; perhaps if we were no longer known as
> 'roadgeeks', we would find that this marginalisation will lessen.
>

> Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
> public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when compared
> to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are
looked
> upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
> 'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
> 'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?
>

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * roadfan

> * roadnut
> * road enthusiast
> * highwayfan
> * viaphile (from the Latin "via", road; and "philus", lover)

Brandon M. Gorte

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Ron Newman <rne...@thecia.net> wrote:
: My vote is for "roadfan", an easy parallel with the

: familiar "railfan". Some people are both railfans and roadfans.

I agree, it carries the same connotation as "railfan" as well, as opposed
to say, "railgeek", which sounds too much like "computer geek".

Brandon Gorte
Undergrad in Geological Engineering
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI
<http://www.geo.mtu.edu/~bmgorte/freeway.html>

RVDroz

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Orlando Sentinel's traffic reporter uses, "Road Dog."

Are you a Trekkie, Mr. Torr?
Happy Motoring! _________
Robert V. Droz ( us...@earthlink.net ) |______|_\__
U.S. Highways : From US 1 to (US 830) |______|_|__\
http://members.xoom.com/us98/UShwy.htm () ()

Marc Fannin

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
"Bradley Torr" <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

> Greetings, one and all,
>
> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete
> the noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary.
>

> [snip]

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * roadfan

I decided on that one almost a year ago.

http://members.xoom.com/musxf579/roadfan.html

(And still no Australian representative!)

--
Marc Fannin musx...@kent.edu
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~musxf579/home.html

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
After I spent all that money, time and effort on creating the Roadgeek
Mail List (road...@onelist.com)??????

Well, no money, little effort and a few minutes of time anyway.....

Rich Carlson, N9JIG
Owner- Roadgeek Mail List

<bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:

> Greetings, one and all,
>
> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete the

> noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary. I believe
> that the term 'roadgeek' is mildly demeaning to our hobby. Also, it may
> lower the self-esteems of those highway enthusiasts who are just coming
> terms with their love of roads. Roadfandom is also on the outer margins
> of
> the transport hobbies already; perhaps if we were no longer known as
> 'roadgeeks', we would find that this marginalisation will lessen.
>
> Also, roads enthusiasts are looked down upon by members of the general
> public - our friends, our relatives, and others - as it is - when
> compared
> to enthusiasts of railways, shipping and aviation, whose hobbies are
> looked
> upon as being completely normal. Also, if railway hobbyists can be called
> 'railfans'; if those who love the maritime arts are called 'boaters' or
> 'salties' - then why must we be stuck with 'roadgeek'?
>

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * roadfan

> * roadnut
> * road enthusiast
> * highwayfan
> * viaphile (from the Latin "via", road; and "philus", lover)
> * road lover
>

> Any suggestions, comments, dissertations, etc. are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Bradley.
> Vivaphilus nunc sum et viaphilus aeternus ero!

--
Rich Carlson, N9JIG (n9...@theramp.net)
Illinois Highways Page: http://www.theramp.net/n9jig

Just Mike

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Unlike some of you, I am secure enough with myself to not be afraid of the term
"roadgeek".

I know I am cool enough in all other areas of my life that the one "secret
shame" of being a road geek is not going to condemn me to being a geek in
general.

Anyway, if someone thinks I am a geek just because I have a peculiar obsession
with highway signs and roads (my friends always laugh when, flipping through my
pictures, see random road signs mixed in with the fun) and they want to joke
about taking "OLD 15" to get wherever I want to go, that's fine with me. I am
not ashamed. I think road geek is a perfectly appropiate name, because, let's
face it, this whole thing is pretty geeky.

Everyone has a bit of geek in them. This is mine. Otherwise, I do not lack
girls or friends or a great social life. I know how cool I am. For the rest of
you, however...

Euphuisms do not change reality. I am not afraid to call something what it
really is. Calling ourselves "Roads scholars" or "road fans" does not make us
not road geeks. Personally, I think it is pretty sad when a someone tries a gay
title to make themselves something they're not. "Road fan" sounds pretty geeky
to me, anyway. I think it's cooler to ackowledge when something you do is geeky
then to try to pretend it isn't. That is the difference between people who are
cool and people who are geeks: The people who are geeks can't tell what is
geeky and what isn't. Remember, liking roads is geeky, but that does not
necessarily mean you're a geek.

Some people could use a little more self-esteem...

Just Mike
Buffalo, NY
Save US Routes! Stop Decommissioning!

Nathan Perry

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
In article <19991221021851...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
aandf...@aol.comjunkfree (Just Mike) wrote:

Touché.

(People have been saying that to me a lot lately. Perhaps I'm an ass-hole.)

N.W.Perry __/ {
Rochester, N.Y. ¿___ | [insert witty quote here]
Boston, Mass. \|_=

Bradley Torr

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

Exile on Market Street <smi...@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote in article
<smiths-ya02408000...@netnews.upenn.edu>...

> Just so you know:
>
> Railfans are not universally loved -- and railroad employees especially
> tend to detest them, mainly because they have this habit of wandering
> around railroad properties with cameras but without permission, thus
> risking injury.

I know that....... even though a lot of railway workers are railway workers
because they're railfans :-) ......actually it's illegal to wander around
railway tracks and depots and shunting yards and the like on the New South
Wales Government Railways without:

* Having passed the course known as PW-01 (track safety awareness);
* Wearing an approved safety vest.

The majority of railfans that I personally know are quite responsible
however; they mainly keep to the platforms and the bridges well out of
harm's way... unlike most roadfans I know, who have been known to take
photographs while skimming along at 75mph in heavy traffic and cross four
lanes of traffic just to check the datestamp on the back of an unusual sign
:-)

Regards,
Bradley.

Bradley Torr

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

Just Mike <aandf...@aol.comjunkfree> wrote in article
<19991221021851...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...

> I know I am cool enough in all other areas of my life that the one
"secret
> shame" of being a road geek is not going to condemn me to being a geek in
> general.

<snip>

> Everyone has a bit of geek in them. This is mine. Otherwise, I do not
lack
> girls or friends or a great social life. I know how cool I am. For the
rest of
> you, however...

<snip>

> Personally, I think it is pretty sad when a someone tries a gay
> title to make themselves something they're not. "Road fan" sounds pretty
geeky
> to me, anyway.

Just Mike,

You are one hell of a conceited, pompous, arrogant arsehole
sonofabitch........ just thought that you should know that. Go get your
'coolness' and stick it up that oh-so-cool rear orifice of yours.

Regards,
Bradley.

Bradley Torr

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

RVDroz <us...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<385EBE04...@earthlink.net>...

> Orlando Sentinel's traffic reporter uses, "Road Dog."

Yes, but that's Alex Nitzman's nickname..... he's already appropriated it,
sorry :)

> Are you a Trekkie, Mr. Torr?

Nope, I'm an Aussie. :-) Seriously, I don't have too much of an interest in
Star Trek.... why?

Regards,
Bradley.

BCBA

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Marc Fannin wrote:

> "Bradley Torr" <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings, one and all,
> >
> > I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby delete
> > the noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary.
> >
> > [snip]

> > As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> > * roadfan
>
> I decided on that one almost a year ago.
>
> http://members.xoom.com/musxf579/roadfan.html

but..that's like kinda part of your name...so do i have to be a
roadcridle?

:-)

--bruce cridlebaugh

Marc Fannin

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
sys...@prisma-graphicdesign.com wrote:

> Marc Fannin wrote:
>
> > "Bradley Torr" <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings, one and all,
> > >
> > > I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby
> > > delete the noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective
> > > vocabulary.
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> > > * roadfan
> >
> > I decided on that one almost a year ago.
> >
> > http://members.xoom.com/musxf579/roadfan.html
> >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > --

> > Marc Fannin [snip]

> but..that's like kinda part of your name...so do i have to be a
> roadcridle?
>
> :-)

Coincidence...really!

Gene Janczynskyi

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
> Orlando Sentinel's traffic reporter uses, "Road Dog."

Atlanta Journal-Constitution - "Lane Ranger" AKA Joey Ledford.
Potomac News - "Lane Ranger" no real name given. :)
--
Happy Holidays!
Gene Janczynskyi

Marc Fannin

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
With the debate going on in this thread, I'd like to explain the
process of how I named the _Roadfan Locator_ and why it isn't the
_Roadgeek Locator_ or something similar.

At the beginning of this year I had come to realize after having read
almost three years' worth of m.t.r posts (give or take) that new
participants have no easy way of telling if there is someone who posts
regularly who is familiar with the area or areas with which they are
also familiar (or want to be familiar). Even in the last couple of
days there have been posts asking about certain areas by people whose
first posts were relatively recently (one regarding Alberta and one
regarding Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas). In addition, I wanted to keep
track of who was where for myself, even though I wasn't new, but the
main intent was to create something for those who were. So I posted a
message here to see who was interested, and received a positive
response, as many of you might remember.

Now that I had general approval and permission from people to list them
(one of the stipulations of being on the list: People must inform me
that they wish to be included, due to the inclusion of e-mail
addresses; I'm not going to just assume someone would like to be on
there, and then add him or her), I had to come up with a title. I
decided on _[Something] Locator_. But what would the "something"
be? "Roadgeek" was the initial obvious choice, since it had been used
widely up to that point. But since I was creating this page for people
*not* familiar with m.t.r, I decided "roadgeek" may not be the most
appropriate term to use. m.t.r regulars know the connotations
of "roadgeek", but someone with little or no experience with the group
might not understand, and shy away. While your reaction might
be "Well, if they have a problem with being called a 'geek', then they
don't belong here anyway!", the net result would be that a person who
wanted info that he or she could have easily gotten probably would miss
out on it, and that m.t.r would miss out on a potential regular, maybe
one from a part of the world not already represented. In light of
this, I decided to play it safe. I let other words come to mind. Of
those, "aficionado" sounded the most appropriate. But it's awkward and
easy to misspell. So I went to http://www.m-w.com/ and plugged
"aficionado" into the online thesaurus there. The results, with my
comments:

addict -- too negative
buff -- possible
devotee -- too poetic
fan -- possible
habitué -- too foreign (to others -- I had five years of French)
hound -- possible, maybe too corny
lover -- too strong
votary -- too obscure

Of the remaining choices, I chose "fan" due to what others have
mentioned: The precedence of the term "railfan".

I know that this post was long, but I wanted to make myself clear
within this thread.

Roadfan Locator: http://members.xoom.com/musxf579/roadfan.html

Just Mike

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

Just after some people were typing nice things about how everyone on m.t.r. was
nice and smart and sweet and how we didn't regress into flame wars, this
happens. I don't mean to provoke anybody. I just think people should not be
afraid to be a roadgeek. When I describe it to my friends, I am not ashamed to
use that term. "Yeah, I'm a roadgeek. So What?" Calling it something else would
not change anything. At least I'm brave enough to call it what it is.

Anyways, BRADLEY, if my writings strike some sensitive personal chord with you,
then perhaps you need to take a good look at yourself. I would hope most people
would either take what everyone types on here with a grain of salt, especially
my insignifigant ramblings. I really don't care much about what people think,
and I don't expect people to care much about what I think. Also, I'm sorry to
disappoint you, but my orifices are exit only (a superhighway with no
re-entry).

Proud to be a roadGEEK.

Vinnie Ferrari

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
I can't get over everyone making such a big deal about such a harmless
term... I'm PROUD to be a road geek... and I have a steel chair for anyone
who's got a problem with it

--
"Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am)"
"Ignorance is bliss"

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
I don't know about the rest of you peons, but I consider myself a Road
God!

Just Mike

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
>From: "Rich Carlson, N9JIG" n9...@theramp.net
>Date: Wed, 22 December 1999 01:59 AM EST

Now that is funny...I laughed out loud...

Bradley, are you going to flame him too? I only said I was cool...I didn't say
I was a god!

I know about your obsession with anal orifices...

regards,

Disclaimer:"The above post is just the opinion of the writer and is no way
meant to hurt the feelings of the overly sensitive. Everyone knows what
opinions are like..."
Just Mike
Buffalo,NY

Brandon M. Gorte

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Rich Carlson, N9JIG <n9...@theramp.net> wrote:
: I don't know about the rest of you peons, but I consider myself a Road
: God!

At least you got it right because "if someone asks you if you're a god,
you say YES!"* :-) LOL!

*-Peter Venkman (played by Bill Murray) in Ghostbusters.

Nathan Perry

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
In article <83qkth$ca7$2...@campus3.mtu.edu>, Brandon M. Gorte
<bmg...@mtu.edu> wrote:

> Rich Carlson, N9JIG <n9...@theramp.net> wrote:
> : I don't know about the rest of you peons, but I consider myself a Road
> : God!
>
> At least you got it right because "if someone asks you if you're a god,
> you say YES!"* :-) LOL!

A girl asked me why people* thought of me as some kind of demigod. I said,
"That's ridiculous, I'm not a demigod...I'm a full god." I later went out
with that girl for nine months. See? See????

*Specifically, some freshman girls who had never met a pianist before...sheesh.

N.W.Perry __/ {
Rochester, N.Y. 甍__ | [insert witty quote here]
Boston, Mass. \|_=

BCBA

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99

that must one impressive pianist

Jason L. Bennett

Dec 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/22/99
Sounds like good advice, I'll try to remember that for the next time.

Marc Fannin

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
Brandon M. Gorte <bmg...@mtu.edu> wrote:

> Rich Carlson, N9JIG <n9...@theramp.net> wrote:
>
> : I don't know about the rest of you peons, but I consider myself a
> : Road God!
>
> At least you got it right because "if someone asks you if you're a
> god, you say YES!"* :-) LOL!
>

> *-Peter Venkman (played by Bill Murray) in Ghostbusters.

Actually, that was said by Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson, who hails
from Benton Harbor, Michigan).

--
Marc Fannin, who hails from Benton Harbor, Michigan
musx...@kent.edu
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~musxf579/home.html

Perry

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99

BCBA wrote:

> Nathan Perry wrote:
>
> > A girl asked me why people* thought of me as some kind of demigod. I said,
> > "That's ridiculous, I'm not a demigod...I'm a full god." I later went out
> > with that girl for nine months. See? See????
> >
> > *Specifically, some freshman girls who had never met a pianist before...sheesh.
>

> that must one impressive pianist

Well, when you're fourteen...and you meet some guy who's seventeen...

mapcat

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99

<bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:
> Greetings, one and all,
> I would hereby like to put forward the motion that we hereby
> delete the
> noun and adjective 'roadgeek' from our collective vocabulary.

<snip>

> Any suggestions, comments, dissertations, etc. are welcome.

Roadent.

Jeff Taylor

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
Bradley Torr <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:01bf4abf$e5c27a80$221f083d@default, among other things...

> As replacements, I have a number of suggestions:
> * roadnut

You figured out my ebay screen name! I also use roadguy in another forum
type thing, although that started by mistake. I meant to use roadnut, but
had a brain fart the day I was going to start using it, and used roadguy
instead.

I do agree with most of the rest of what you said - people do tend to look
at those who love roads as crazy, while their hobby of looking for 2 left
footed mongooses is completely normal. (in their opinion...)

--

Jeff Taylor
kh...@jersey.net

SPUI

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
I nominate roadnerd :P

--
Daniel Moraseski
http://spui.cjb.net/index.html - FL and NJ roads, and also a list of all
(well, most) SPUIs
http://ocps.cjb.net - Orange County Prison System (why mandatory student IDs
suck)
King of irrelevant info and roadGEEK
Editor of http://roadlinks.cjb.net (highway category of the Open Directory
Project)
in Orlando, FL; originally from Manalapan, NJ

Bradley Torr <bt...@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message

<snip>

ad...@interlog.com

Dec 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/24/99
SPUI wrote:

> I nominate roadnerd :P

I still like Roads Scholar--it may seem cutesy, but if there was to be an
organised society, rather than an informal categorization, "Roads Scholar" would
be a perfect name...