Short Trip from Elmira to Corning -- Observations

(Insert Witty Nickname Here)

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
I went out to Corning with a couple of co-workers this morning and I
made a mental note of a few things/changes that I noticed...

1. First and foremost, I have now made my first trip on I-86. I know I
don't live far away from the current end of I-86, but I don't get out
very often due to work commitments. A few notes that I made, some of
which duplicate past posts...(1) There is an "END I-86" sign just past
Exit 48 (NY 352-East Corning) and before the Steuben-Chemung Co. line
going EB. There is no "BEGIN I-86" sign going WB. (2) I-86 signs are
indeed on all of the BGS and next to relocated NY 17 signs (There is a
NY 17 sign w/o an I-86 sign next to it just beyond Exit 47 (NY 352)
going WB). (3) The BGS on US 15 NB before the Gang Mills (NY 417) exit
say "JCT I-86/NY 17", but there is just a standard "JCT I-86" sign (no
NY 17 sign) just before the I-86 interchange (NY 17 still shows on the
BGS) Of course it won't be there when the interchange gets
rebuilt/reconfigured in a couple of years. (4) TMM's still say "17".

2. Last summer I noticed a peculiarity about the NY 417 sheilds on the
BGS at the Gang Mills exit of US 15. But I didn't get a good look at
it. I confirmed it today. When NY 417 was relocated off US 15 and onto
Hamilton St., rather than replace the BGS, NYSDOT slapped a white
rectangular sign with "417" inside the outline of the NYS shield (NOT a
reassurance sign) at the top of the BGS (The top of the signs stick over
the top of the BGS).

3. I'll have to get a better look at this (I only saw this from I-86),
but there appeared to be an LED countdown pedestrian signal at the
Centerway (NY 414) entrance to the Corning Glass Museum.

4. Closer to home (And along the lines of another current thread), the
left turn doghouses on NY 17 at S. Main St./Lake Rd. in Horseheads have
been replaced with dedicated left turn signals (with red arrows).
There's no indication that the other two intersections with signals will
have these lights installed.

Mark Sinsabaugh (Remove X's to Reply)
http://www1.50megs.com/baugh17

John Rocker Day is Coming June 30th!