ME-9 reroute in Portland

1 view

Yakra

Aug 23, 2007, 2:15:34 AM8/23/07
In addition to 25 and 25 business last month, MDOT continues to tweak
highway routings in Portland.
Caught this one in the field today, on route 9:
Former route: Stevens Ave, Walton St, Ocean Ave.
New route: Stevens Ave, Woodford St,Forest Ave, Ocean Ave.
This makes a new triplex with US-302/ME-100, at Woodfords Corner,
bookended by two five-way intersections.

Woodfords Corner is already arguably the most congested location in
Portland, but I don't think there should be much adverse impact; this
is in practice where all the traffic goes anyway. (Though I have to
wonder if the original route was intended to avoid this point?)

Walton St, IMO, was never suited to carry a state highway - a narrow
residential street, lined on each side with cars parked curbside, such
that when two passenger cars approached in opposite directions, things
got dicey. Trucks? Yeah right!

This reroute shortens ME-9 by about 0.4 mi.
Final verdict: Good form, MDOT!