East End of the Kansas Turnpike

Steve Riner

Mar 1, 2003, 1:13:23 PM3/1/03
Where is this, exactly? There used to be a sign just east of the tollbooth near
Bonner Springs, where the mileposts switch from KTA miles to I-70 miles and
overpasses no longer have the standard KTA design (green girders, bridge
numbered as milepost). Now, there are signs indicating begin/end KTA
maintenance just west of the I-70/670 split in KCK. That leaves about 15 miles
of road under the turnpike administration but looking very much like KDOT
interstate.
Steve Riner
Pueblo West, CO (formerly Twin Cities, MN 1977-2002)
Explore Minnesota Highways at:
http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/mnhome.htm

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I

ThrashATL

Mar 1, 2003, 7:31:56 PM3/1/03

"Steve Riner" <mnhig...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

> Where is this, exactly? There used to be a sign just east of the tollbooth
near
> Bonner Springs, where the mileposts switch from KTA miles to I-70 miles and
> overpasses no longer have the standard KTA design (green girders, bridge
> numbered as milepost). Now, there are signs indicating begin/end KTA
> maintenance just west of the I-70/670 split in KCK. That leaves about 15 miles
> of road under the turnpike administration but looking very much like KDOT
> interstate.
> Steve Riner

Just west of the I-435 & I-70 interchange, right where the new Kansas Intl
Speedway (the nw quadrant of 435/70).

Ben Prusia

Mar 1, 2003, 7:42:41 PM3/1/03
Eastern End of the Kansas Turnpike (Official):

US Highway 69/18th St. Expressway exit on Interstate 70. This is where the
KTA maintanence ends and where the KDOT maintanence picks up. This is the
former location of where the oringinal Eastern Terminal tollbooths were
located.

The KTA milepost changeover occurs on eastbound Interstate 70 before the
110th Street exit where the Kansas Speedway is located, from 225 to 410.

The CK Experience

Mar 1, 2003, 8:33:02 PM3/1/03
mnhig...@aol.comnospam (Steve Riner) wrote in message news:<20030301131323...@mb-cb.aol.com>...

> Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I

Are you a Floyd fan by any chance?
Since the lyric is from "Learning to fly"

Chris Katella

Richie Kennedy

Mar 1, 2003, 10:30:34 PM3/1/03
mnhig...@aol.comnospam (Steve Riner) wrote in

The Kansas Turnpike officially ends at the US 69 interchange (18th
Street Expressway, just west of I-670)

However, the Eastern Terminal is currently in Leavenworth County several
miles west of the Bonner Springs interchange, with Bonner being the last
"free" exit.

Origionally, the eastern toll Plaza would have been near the Park Drive
interchange. It was later moved to be just west of the Turner Diagonal
in the late 60's, then moved to just east of the Bonner Springs
interchange in the early 80's. The plaza moved to its current location
in 2000. The reasons for the relocations amount to: I-635, I-435, and
the Kansas Speedway.

--
Richie Kennedy
rou...@route56.com · www.route56.com

US 71

Mar 2, 2003, 1:59:18 AM3/2/03

"Richie Kennedy" <rou...@route56.com> wrote in message

> The Kansas Turnpike officially ends at the US 69 interchange (18th
> Street Expressway, just west of I-670)
>
> However, the Eastern Terminal is currently in Leavenworth County several
> miles west of the Bonner Springs interchange, with Bonner being the last
> "free" exit.

Cool! I can go to Ren-Fest and not pay a Toll this year ;)

---

Steve Riner

Mar 2, 2003, 6:19:01 PM3/2/03
>Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
>
>Are you a Floyd fan by any chance?
>Since the lyric is from "Learning to fly"

Very much so, at least in the post-Syd Barrett era.

Thanks to all who explained the history of the eastern end of the 'pike in this
thread. I mostly understand, except for the rationale for the changeover in
mileposts and bridge design standards east of the current tollbooth at Bonner
Springs but west of the true end of the turnpike...it really looks like a
KDOT-standard interstate in this segment.