State Route Organization

DanTheMan

May 2, 2004, 8:10:26 PM5/2/04
It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
sort of system?

Thanks -Dan
Coming Soon - A New Website Devoted Entirely to Interchanges!
WhereRoadsMeet.8k.com: Coming June 1st, 2004

Steve

May 2, 2004, 8:13:07 PM5/2/04
DanTheMan wrote:

Some states go by order incorporated into the system, which is hard to
track without knowing the history.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!

Oscar Voss

May 2, 2004, 9:14:43 PM5/2/04
DanTheMan wrote:

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?

Hawaii has a very orderly route numbering system, though it mostly goes
to waste since local residents refer to roads by name rather than
number. Most notably, state and county routes are numbered from
separate number blocks for each island, and secondary route numbers
usually indicate a relationship to a two-digit number primary route.
For more details, see
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/FAQs-page3.htm#number-system

Not much of an orderly system in Alaska, but with only 12 numbered
routes (and, as in Hawaii, the numbers are widely ignored) there's not
much need for that. The ten routes in the system at its inception got
the first ten numbers, routes 11 and 98 (the latter for the Klondike
Gold Rush of 1898) came later.

--
Oscar Voss - ov...@erols.com - Arlington, Virginia

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/
Hawaii Highways: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 2, 2004, 10:09:05 PM5/2/04
On 2 May 2004 17:10:26 -0700, twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) said:

>Do any of the other 49 have any
>sort of system?

Indiana generally uses a system where north-south roads are odd, with
the numbers increasing to the west, and east-west roads are even, with
the numbers increasing to the south. Three-digits routes branch off a
parent 1 or 2-digit route.

Kentucky was originally like this for 1 or 2-digit routes, but they've
added so many changes willy-nilly over the years, that this hardly holds
true anymore.

Arthur

May 2, 2004, 10:29:43 PM5/2/04
DanTheMan wrote:

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?
>
> Thanks -Dan

Hi, Dan. South Dakota (unless they've renumbered their state highways)
has a fairly straightforward state highway system. Just like Florida,
with few exceptions, east-west are even numbered, lowest in the north,
highest in the south -- and north-south are odd numbered, lowest east,
highest west.
--
Stop the chop by deleting it from my address.

John Lansford

May 3, 2004, 6:00:45 AM5/3/04
twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote:

>It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
>for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
>actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
>identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
>numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
>sort of system?

NC uses the same routing naming system as the interstates do; odd
numbers for north-south routes, even for east-west.

John Lansford, PE
--
The unofficial I-26 Construction Webpage:
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/a10/

Rich Carlson, N9JIG

May 3, 2004, 8:12:09 AM5/3/04
In article <6a5931be.04050...@posting.google.com>,
twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote:

Illinois' route numbers originated with the bond issues of 1918 and
1924. Bond # 1 paid for Route 1 etc. Over the years the number evolved
and for the most part there is no pattern. When the US routes were
introduced in 1927 they were posted alongside the existing state routes
but the state routes were eventually removed from these routes.

Dave Filpus

May 3, 2004, 9:35:52 AM5/3/04
In article <b16c90tlft19invan...@4ax.com>,
John Lansford <jlns...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote:
>
> >It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> >for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> >actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> >identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> >numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> >sort of system?
> >
> NC uses the same routing naming system as the interstates do; odd
> numbers for north-south routes, even for east-west.

NC has not been consistent in its numbering. It has a number of very
long state routes that wind all over the place, such as 210 and 211,
which defy north/south or east/west routing.

Even a two digit highway such as NC-50 is primarily a north/south route,
with some east/west in the middle.

Most SRs follow the rule, but not all.
--
Dave Filpus
<http://sine.tmug.org/~dfilpus/roadgeek/index.html>

H.B. Elkins

May 3, 2004, 11:32:34 AM5/3/04
twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote:

>It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
>for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
>actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
>identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
>numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
>sort of system?

Kentucky is pretty much the same as the US system -- odd routes are
N-S, even routes are E-W, low numbers start in the northeast and high
numbers are in the southwest.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Adam Prince

May 3, 2004, 12:00:59 PM5/3/04

"Dave Filpus" <dfi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm with Dave on this...a good number of NC routes do not follow the
traditional direction sequence.

NC 4 N/S
NC 8 N/S
NC 7 E/W
NC 12 N/S
NC 14 N/S
NC 16 N/S
NC 18 N/S

and more...

The most recent signed NC routes do follow this:

NC 690 E/W
NC 144 E/W

It may be that all new primary routes follow the system.

Marc Fannin

May 3, 2004, 2:30:10 PM5/3/04
twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote...

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?

As mentioned in the other posts, there are generally three main
systems: Order of assignment, grid system, and clustering system.
There is a page (unfortunately archived only) which gives a rundown of
many states and provinces:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010413134037/members.nbci.com/jpkirby/narn.html

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

LOU www.mcroads.com

May 3, 2004, 3:26:58 PM5/3/04
> NC uses the same routing naming system as the interstates do; odd
> numbers for north-south routes, even for east-west.

I agree but then theres interstates like I-85 which goes east-west
between Durham and Greensboro. I-40 goes north-south between Raleigh
and Wilmington. I-74 goes north-south between Randleman and
Greensboro.

_________________________________

Lou

Yes! You can avoid wrong cardinal directions in North Carolina!

_________________________________

Ernest Cline

May 3, 2004, 5:24:27 PM5/3/04
SC has a very minimal amount of logic to its primary highway
numbering. Many, but not all of the three digits highways are spurs
of two digit highways with the same first two digits. For example, SC
391, SC 392, and SC 394 are all spurs off of SC 39. Single digit
highways get three digit spurs also. SC 602 is a spur of SC 6, and SC
400 is a spur of SC 4. Sometimes the original two digit road has been
overlain by a US highway as in the case of SC 245, SC 246 and SC 248
which were all spurs off of a portion of SC 24 that is now US 178. A
number of primary highways were demoted to secondary highways (which
uses an entirely different scheme) when the secondary higway system
was setup which helps to account for a lot of the gaps in the
numbering scheme. In short, between deletions and routes such as SC
116 that never were spurs of their theoretical parents, there are too
many gaps to use the numbers as an absolute guide to any sort of
connections between routes and parents.

Rothman

May 3, 2004, 6:17:15 PM5/3/04

> Kentucky is pretty much the same as the US system -- odd routes are
> N-S, even routes are E-W, low numbers start in the northeast and high
> numbers are in the southwest.

Direction is so subjective in Eastern KY.

Charles Sarjeant

May 3, 2004, 8:15:04 PM5/3/04
mister19...@hotmail.com (Dr. Phil Is Weird) wrote in message news:<4095a91d...@news.individual.de>...

> On 2 May 2004 17:10:26 -0700, twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) said:
>
> >Do any of the other 49 have any
> >sort of system?
>
> Indiana generally uses a system where north-south roads are odd, with
> the numbers increasing to the west, and east-west roads are even, with
> the numbers increasing to the south. Three-digits routes branch off a
> parent 1 or 2-digit route.

Slight correction for Indiana:
Many three digit Indiana state roads never touch their parent. For
example, SR 213 never touches SR 13. Rather, many "minor" state roads
simply get a third digit before the one or two digit highway they run
more or less parallel to. Other examples are SR 18/218, SR 3/SR 103,
SR 28/SR 128, SR 49/SR 149/SR 249, US 40/SR 240, and SR 32/SR 332.

Another note on the Indiana system is that a there are few duplicate
state and US routes. For example, because US 41 runs through the
state, there is no SR 41. I can only think of two exceptions, and one
of them has been decommissioned. Oddly, many US routes more or less
logically fit into the state sequence. Examples are US 6, US 36, US
40, US 50, and US 35. US 31, US 12, and US 41 aren't too far off.

If they would only get rid of the stupid, illogical duplicate numbers,
it would be a very good system.

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 3, 2004, 8:27:25 PM5/3/04
On 3 May 2004 17:15:04 -0700, charles....@insightbb.com (Charles
Sarjeant) said:

>If they would only get rid of the stupid, illogical duplicate numbers,
>it would be a very good system.

I believe there are two separate roads called IN 101, at least one of
which is nowhere near IN 1. The one I'm referring to is the tiny IN 101
that crosses Markland Dam.

Nick14578

May 3, 2004, 9:02:48 PM5/3/04
<b>Mississippi: </b>

Odd numbers run north-south, evens run east-west. 1- and 2-digit numbers
increase to the south and east (though some numbers violate this rule).

3-digit numbers follow this pattern: 300-series routes are in the north,
400-series in the middle part, 500s in the south and a few 600s in the extreme
south.

100-series routes are former routings of US highways where MS 1xx is the former
routing of US xx. There is one 200s number, MS 245, which is a former routing
of ALTERNATE US 45.

There is also a system of secret routes which (usually) are not signed. There
are secret routes in the 700s in the north, 800s in the middle and 900s in the
south. Only about ten of these routes are signed (mostly upper 700s), and there
is usually only one or two shields for these routes.

<b>Louisiana:</b>

Louisiana has a ton of state highways, almost like Kentucky. Its system is not
really as orderly as Mississippi's. The lowest-numbered, main routes (1-30?)
are numbered in the Mississippi style with numbers increasing to the south and
east.
Numbers from around 30 up to the 1200s are basically the secondary system and
there is a lot of clustering (upper 1000s are in the eastern parishes, 1100s
are in the southwest, etc.) but there are many designations that are "out of
place" (one example that comes to mind is LA 1129 in St. Tammany Parish, in an
area where all other 1000-series numbers are upper 1000s)

There are also numbers in the 3000s, these are even less important routes and
are usually found in cities and towns. Many of these are quite short but there
are a few longer 3000-series routes such as LA 3127 which parallels the west
bank of the Mississippi River west of the New Orleans area. There is
<i>some</i> clustering (e.g. 3017, 3018, 3019, and 3021 are all in and around
New Orleans) but the numbering of most 3000-series routes is haphazard, with
3000s and 3200s often appearing in the same parish.

Finally there are the strange hyphenated route numbers. These are essentially
city routes. You can find them in many Louisiana cities and towns. These routes
consist of a three- or four-digit number (which usually fit into the clustering
of the other route numbers in the area), a hyphen, and then another digit which
actually identifies the route. For instance, there are many 611-x numbers in
the New Orleans area. Hyphenated routes are the shortest and least important
routes in the state. I find it very strange how Louisiana will take a random
short stretch of city street and slap a state route designation on it. Because
that's what most hypenated routes are.

DanF

May 3, 2004, 10:15:30 PM5/3/04
musx...@kent.edu (Marc Fannin) wrote in message news:<cc3aa42a.04050...@posting.google.com>...

In Virginia, state primary routes are generally organized by
"clustering" according to the VDOT district. (for example, 233-244 are
generally in Northern Virginia). However, there are plenty of
exceptions. Lower numbers are often longer routes (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
10, 20, 28) and not clustered. Routes in the 300s are usually but not
always given to colleges/universities/community colleges, state parks,
and state facilities. Many routes in the 400s were developed in the
1980s or later and are in cities. The only route in the 500s is VA 598
in Western VA. VA 600 and higher are used as secondary routes
renumbered in each county with the exception of VA 895 (Pocahontas
Toll Road) and VA 785 (number given to US 29 by-pass around Danville,
unposted, but will eventually be I-785).

VA also has a frontage road system (numbered F1-F1058) and a school
road system (Routes in the 9000s).

Stephen Dailey

May 3, 2004, 10:22:47 PM5/3/04
> twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote...
>
> > It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> > for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> > actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> > identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> > numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> > sort of system?

Washington appears to use even for E-W and odd for N-S, generally lower
numbers W and S, higher in E and W, but there are many exceptions (e.g.,
WA-14, WA-19). Three-digit routes are branches from 1- and 2-digit
routes. US and Interstate routes can have branches. Examples:

WA-500, WA-501, etc. are branches from I-5
WA-303, WA-305, etc. are branches from WA-3
WA-285 is a branch from WA-28
WA-127 is a branch from US-12

I think WA-96 is supposed to be a branch from WA-9, but I'm not 100%
sure. Branches don't necessarily intersect their parents (e.g., WA-181
does not intercept WA-18).

Special cases:
WA-10x are branches from US-101
WA-194 is a branch from US-195

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA
smda...@seanet.com
3 May 2004, 1922 PDT

Patrick Lee Humphrey

May 3, 2004, 11:14:21 PM5/3/04
hbel...@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) writes:

>twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote:

>>It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
>>for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
>>actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
>>identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
>>numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
>>sort of system?

>Kentucky is pretty much the same as the US system -- odd routes are
>N-S, even routes are E-W, low numbers start in the northeast and high
>numbers are in the southwest.

...which explains why the only two sections of KY 66 that actually go anywhere
near east-west are at the termini coming south (east) out of Oneida, and
heading east (north) from Pineville to Straight Creek. :-)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2003-04 Houston Aeros)

AKirsc5653

May 3, 2004, 11:50:18 PM5/3/04
New York has no overall numbering pattern, but there is some clustering. Most
route numbers between 101 and 114 arein Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Most route
numbers between 116 and 141 are in Westchester County. And so on.

900 and above is the "Reference Route" series. First digit is 9. Second is the
region # (10 and 11 share "0", as does, curiously, part of Region 8.) Third is
a number from 1-5 if it's a general unposted route, 6 if it;s a service road,
and 7-9 for parkways. The last digit is a letter to make the route uniquely
identifiable.

So, not very orderly, really.

:-) Andrew

Steve

May 4, 2004, 12:14:18 AM5/4/04
AKirsc5653 wrote:

What about third digit 0 (990V)? ;)

I-420

May 4, 2004, 7:53:42 AM5/4/04
Alabama renumbered their entire highway system in the 1960's to an
odd-even system. It is actually pretty well organized with generally
lowered number routes designated as major routes and higher numbered
routes as less important routes. However, they do NOT follow a
sequence. Their county road system was once equally well organized
until they let the counties number the routes as they pleased (sigh).

Georgia pretty much followed a route sequence exactly, thus roads like
GA 365 holding the same importance as GA 17. The only difference?
When the road was designated! The only evidence I see of true order
were those routes in the early system (GA 1, 3, 12, etc, pretty much
follow the original major routes) and the 400 and 500 series route
numbers that have a very specific purpose.

Tennessee did even better than GA for following a sequence, though
they are getting more sporatic with the 400 series routes.

Overall, I think most states have some sort of a pattern, but a few
are just looney appearing to just throw numbers out at random. Most
of us have probably noticed that NM has the sickest numbering system
around.

H.B. Elkins

May 4, 2004, 10:25:33 AM5/4/04
Patrick Lee Humphrey <pat...@io.com> wrote:

>...which explains why the only two sections of KY 66 that actually go anywhere
>near east-west are at the termini coming south (east) out of Oneida, and
>heading east (north) from Pineville to Straight Creek. :-)

Kentucky has changed some directional signage on some of its routes,
and to be truthful there are some misplaced ones (like KY 82).

KY 82 used to be signed E-W, even though it is pretty much a N-S
route, but that's changed and is now signed N-S except for one
residual "West" sign at the Mountain Parkway/KY 15 intersection.

As for KY 66, it's Kentucky's only even numbered 6x state route -- 60,
62 and 68 are US routes and 64 is an interstate. And IIRC the orignal
routing of KY 66 was what is now US 421 between Harlan and the
Virginia state line. The additions of US routes in Kentucky caused
some renumbering. For instance, much of US 421 used to be numbered KY
21, which would fit it into the grid a little better. Now what's left
of KY 21 is pretty much an E-W route.

Michael Moroney

May 4, 2004, 10:50:59 AM5/4/04
akirs...@cs.com (AKirsc5653) writes:

>New York has no overall numbering pattern, but there is some clustering. Most
>route numbers between 101 and 114 arein Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Most route
>numbers between 116 and 141 are in Westchester County. And so on.

At the dawn of time, NY did have a numbering system. Odd routes ran
east-west, even north-south. There are a few survivors of this (NY 17,
NY 22, NY 29). The advent of the US route system messed this up as its
rules were different and the US routes "stole" numbers already in use
elsewhere. NY also seems to have participated halfheartedly in the New
England Route numbering system (NE routes that ran to NY kept the same
number in NY, such as NE 9 -> NY 9 (now NY 7 since US 9 stole its number)
and maybe NY 22 is a "New England" route not quite in New England.

The New England states all started out with the previously mentioned New
England route system in 1922 where major routes had numbers less than 100
and even ran north-south starting from the west and odd east-west starting
from the south (lots of exceptions here). More minor routes were numbered
without much of a pattern from 101 (or 100) on up. This is why a Route 9
extends through 3 states and Route 12 through 4.

Connecticut renumbered just about everything a few times, but the others
still have lots of routes with numbers in the low 100s.
--
-Mike

Justin Priola

May 4, 2004, 11:02:02 AM5/4/04
(MS snipped)

> <b>Louisiana:</b>
>
> Louisiana has a ton of state highways, almost like Kentucky. Its system is not
> really as orderly as Mississippi's. The lowest-numbered, main routes (1-30?)
> are numbered in the Mississippi style with numbers increasing to the south and
> east.

If one looks at a map, you can pick out a rough 'grid' system for LA
routes 1-25. Evens are E-W, odds are N-S (usually) for the lower
numbers, but with the secondaries it's only a roughly general rule.

> Numbers from around 30 up to the 1200s are basically the secondary system and
> there is a lot of clustering (upper 1000s are in the eastern parishes, 1100s
> are in the southwest, etc.) but there are many designations that are "out of
> place" (one example that comes to mind is LA 1129 in St. Tammany Parish, in an
> area where all other 1000-series numbers are upper 1000s)

Technically 1-191 is the primary system, 300 to the 12xx's is the
secondary system. Though there are some routes below 300 (141, 72, 50
come to mind) which are short and seemingly inconsequential, and some
longer routes above 300 (308, 507, very few others).

Clustering is about the best description of the placement of most
route numbers between 36 or so and 1241, the clustering becoming more
obvious as one moves up in number. Some clustering can be found in
the 3xxx-series.

> There are also numbers in the 3000s, these are even less important routes and
> are usually found in cities and towns. Many of these are quite short but there
> are a few longer 3000-series routes such as LA 3127 which parallels the west
> bank of the Mississippi River west of the New Orleans area. There is
> <i>some</i> clustering (e.g. 3017, 3018, 3019, and 3021 are all in and around
> New Orleans) but the numbering of most 3000-series routes is haphazard, with
> 3000s and 3200s often appearing in the same parish.

Not all 3000-series routes are unimportant, though a great many do
fall into that category. They can range in type from rural backroads
to busy urban freeways. The only commonality that 3xxx routes have is
that they were all designated in the years after 1955 (all routes
lower than 1241, except 191, date to the 1955 renumbering) and
generally sequensentially - that is, LA 3002 (for example) was
designated much earlier than LA 3276.

> Finally there are the strange hyphenated route numbers. These are essentially
> city routes. You can find them in many Louisiana cities and towns. These routes
> consist of a three- or four-digit number (which usually fit into the clustering
> of the other route numbers in the area), a hyphen, and then another digit which
> actually identifies the route. For instance, there are many 611-x numbers in
> the New Orleans area. Hyphenated routes are the shortest and least important
> routes in the state. I find it very strange how Louisiana will take a random
> short stretch of city street and slap a state route designation on it. Because
> that's what most hypenated routes are.

These are designated in the official legislative route lists as "LA
XXX: Comprises these streets, not otherwise numbered, in <city>..."
and then a list of separate sections, arranged by number, that number
corresponding to the last digit in the posted hypehnated route number.

In the past the state apparently had a 'policy' (politics?) of
assuming responsibility for the maintenance of what were essentially
city streets. The hyphenated routes are the legacy of that policy.
IMO they should all be eliminated. Some have been decommissioned over
time; the 950 family (Baton Rouge) had 17 members, all deceased, and
the 466 family (Gretna) had 13 members, but only #10 is still around
(and is the present LA 466, no hyphen). A few have been renumbered to
3xxx routes; 3150 and 3151 in Grand Isle were once 574-x routes.

Justin Priola

------
to send an email, replace msn.com in the above address with uno.edu

Jon Enslin

May 4, 2004, 11:49:18 AM5/4/04
DanTheMan wrote:

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?

When Wisconsin originally numbered their highways, it started at 10 with
the longest route. (Which is now US-51 from Beloit to Hurley and US-2
from Hurley to Superior.) The next longest route got 11, etc. etc.

http://tinyurl.com/2znrf

So there was no grid system, no "parent and child" system, and no
odd/even, north/south system.

As highways were lengthened and shortened, and as the US Highways were
formed, the original numbering system lost all meaning and you are left
with a seemingly random numbering of state highways. (Which I enjoy BTW.)

The only thing you can say is that 3dwis are usually shorter and are
more minor routes than 2dwis. (Ironically though, a 3dwi (WI-100) may
have the highest daily traffic volume of any state highway.)

Jon

Jeff Kitsko

May 4, 2004, 12:29:19 PM5/4/04
"(DanTheMan) wrote" <twow...@email.com> wrote in message
6a5931be.04050...@posting.google.com...

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?

Pennsylvania started in a very orderly way with a "parent/child" numbering
system: main route - one/two digit, branch route - three digits. The
initial roll out in 1925 had odd routes (PA 1, PA 3, PA 5, PA 7, PA 9, PA
11) running east-west and even (PA 2, PA 4, PA 12) running north-south.
Later revisions in 1926 and 1927 kept this convention. However, after
several decades, the system became lax, with old designations "recycled" and
put into use far from their original location near their parent route and
not following the system originally laid out. Also throw in creation of the
Interstate System which changed numerous designations such as PA 76, PA 78,
PA 80, etc.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Patrick Lee Humphrey

May 4, 2004, 1:14:41 PM5/4/04
hbel...@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) writes:

>Patrick Lee Humphrey <pat...@io.com> wrote:

>>...which explains why the only two sections of KY 66 that actually go
>>anywhere near east-west are at the termini coming south (east) out of
>>Oneida, and heading east (north) from Pineville to Straight Creek. :-)

>Kentucky has changed some directional signage on some of its routes,
>and to be truthful there are some misplaced ones (like KY 82).

>KY 82 used to be signed E-W, even though it is pretty much a N-S
>route, but that's changed and is now signed N-S except for one
>residual "West" sign at the Mountain Parkway/KY 15 intersection.

>As for KY 66, it's Kentucky's only even numbered 6x state route -- 60,
>62 and 68 are US routes and 64 is an interstate. And IIRC the orignal
>routing of KY 66 was what is now US 421 between Harlan and the
>Virginia state line. The additions of US routes in Kentucky caused
>some renumbering. For instance, much of US 421 used to be numbered KY
>21, which would fit it into the grid a little better. Now what's left
>of KY 21 is pretty much an E-W route.

Kentucky operates on much the same system as Texas in many cases -- winging
it. ;-) (I remember something about 66 occupying what is now US 421 south of
Harlan, and it would have been east-west from Grays Knob on into Virginia --
and I'm wondering how KY 160 got its designation, since it doesn't get within
90 miles or so of US 60...was it just the extension of VA 160 down from Black
Mountain?)

Oscar Voss

May 4, 2004, 1:36:30 PM5/4/04
While were at it, let's take this into Canada:

Newfoundland: Basically, a clustering system. Route 1 is the
cross-province Trans-Canada Highway. Other one- and two-digit routes,
and three digit routes beginning with "1", are reserved for the
southeastern Avalon region of Newfoundland island (including the
capital city), with the single-digit numbers used for the most
significant routes, and numbers ending in "0" indicating other major
routes. Other blocks of three-digit route numbers are allocated to
the province's other four regions. Some suffixed routes here and
there, with the suffix either a single letter (like 230-A near
Clarenville) or a two-digit number.

Nova Scotia: Three-digit routes beginning with "1" are now the
principal arterial routes, many of them freeway- or expressway-grade.
One- and two-digit routes used to be the main routes, now are "trunk"
routes. (The reverse is true for the other Maritime Provinces, with
the principal routes numbered with one or two digits, and the next
route categories numbered in the 1xx range.) Three-digit routes above
200 are secondary routes.

Yukon and Northwest Territories: Aside from the lowest numbers going
to the main highways (such as the Alaska Highway, Yukon route 1),
there doesn't seem much of a pattern to Yukon's eleven and NWT's seven
numbered routes.

Adam Prince

May 4, 2004, 5:47:25 PM5/4/04

"LOU www.mcroads.com" <pinck...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > NC uses the same routing naming system as the interstates do; odd
> > numbers for north-south routes, even for east-west.
>
> I agree but then theres interstates like I-85 which goes east-west
> between Durham and Greensboro. I-40 goes north-south between Raleigh
> and Wilmington. I-74 goes north-south between Randleman and
> Greensboro.

But Interstates are a separate entity to state routes.

Charles Sarjeant

May 4, 2004, 6:10:44 PM5/4/04
mister19...@hotmail.com (Dr. Phil Is Weird) wrote in message news:<4096e317...@news.individual.de>...

Actually there are *four* separate Indiana SR 101 segments: SR 1 to SR
124, SR 44 to US 52, I-74 to US 50, and SR 156 to Kentucky. This is a
great example of unnecessary re-use of the same number. All are
somewhat near SR 1.

SR 114 has three separate segments, as does SR 48 and SR 4. Quite a
few have two separate segments (e.g. SR 1, 3, 8, 11, 19, 37, 39, 43,
70, 71, 109, 110, 119, 218).

SR 135 is an example of one that never comes near its 2 digit parent.
I assume it was originally SR 35, but was renumbered when US 35 came
into being in Indiana.

arga...@my-deja.com

May 4, 2004, 6:27:22 PM5/4/04
[Mr. Fannin:]

> As mentioned in the other posts, there are generally three main
> systems: Order of assignment, grid system, and clustering system.
> There is a page (unfortunately archived only) which gives a rundown of
> many states and provinces:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010413134037/members.nbci.com/jpkirby/narn.html

I would like to see that page revived at some point--it is a very
useful road enthusiast "tool," much like the M.T.R. F.A.Q. or a links
page to traffic sign design documentation. But it is not an easy
project to take on because there are about 70 jurisdictions to keep
track of in the U.S. & Canada (not to mention a further 33 in
Mexico--Mexican state route designations are a completely unexplored
area at present, although S.C.T. now has state maps online in very
good quality vector *.PDF format which give state route designations).
Also, since route numbering is not understandable in many states
without access to a map showing the initial numbering of the routes,
it is difficult to "go deep" on route numbering logic in some states
without stepping on toes.

Chris Sampang

May 5, 2004, 11:23:04 AM5/5/04
Here's two cents:

California

- original system: regional assignment/clustering (i.e. Routes 2 and 3 in
Southern California, 4 and 5 in Northern California, and so on), with rural
routes receiving the highest numbers (198, 180, 440); even odd rules same as
standard for US routes; no duplication

- post-1964: random/sequential with some patterns:

- Orange County Toll Roads ((231), 241, 261)
- sequential within an area (i.e. former Route 9 became Route 236, 237, 238)
- more clustering (proposed 234 and 235 are in Stockton; proposed 143 and 148
are in Sacramento; routes 52, 54, 56 in San Diego)
- former alignments become 3 digit variants of the original number (330, 371,
242) with one variant in reverse (466 to 46) but not always (204)
- a couple of lengthy former alignments of US 101 received even numbers (82,
72)
- numbers tend to get recycled (103, 7, 11)
- even/odd rules do not necessarily apply with post-1964 numbers (284, 254,
170, 14*, 137, formerly proposed 196)

* Route 14's even number may be derived from the fact that that once was a
segment of an even-numbered north-south US route, US 6.

- Chris

Marc Fannin

May 5, 2004, 2:13:44 PM5/5/04
charles....@insightbb.com (Charles Sarjeant) wrote...

> > >If they would only get rid of the stupid, illogical duplicate numbers,
> > >it would be a very good system.

There is some logic - they are along the same line, so there's
relation, and it would be pointless to connect them since the gaps are
primarily there because no state highway is needed there. Quirky,
yes, but not illogical IMO. (Cf. SR A1A in Florida)

> SR 135 is an example of one that never comes near its 2 digit parent.
> I assume it was originally SR 35, but was renumbered when US 35 came
> into being in Indiana.

IIRC according to Richard Simpson's old website it was.

John Taber

May 5, 2004, 5:57:31 PM5/5/04
twow...@email.com (DanTheMan) wrote in message news:<6a5931be.04050...@posting.google.com>...

> It seems to me that most states in the US have no organization system
> for their state routes. (for ex. even N-S, odd E-W, etc.) What states
> actually do have some organization? The only one I can clearly
> identify is Florida, which is pretty good. (even E-W, odd N-S, low
> numbers in N and E, high in S and W.) Do any of the other 49 have any
> sort of system?

Delaware:

All one and two-digit odd numbers run north-south but there isn't any
kind of pattern. In fact, only DE 1, 9 and 15 run across a county
line.

Even numbers from 2 to 26 run east-west, in order from north to south,
though DE 20 dips south and crosses DE 22, 24 and 26. Most other even
numbers run east-west as well - the only exceptions not listed below
are DE 30 and 72.

DE 41, 52, 261, 491, and 896 are extensions of PA routes with the same
number. DE 100 is an extension of PA 100's former routing.

DE 48 used to connect by ferry (from Wilmington to Penns Grove) with
NJ 48.

DE 273, 286, 300 and 404 are extensions of MD routes with the same
number. DE 299 is an extension (in a different direction) of a
former routing of MD 299. It was also once DE 4 - in sequence with DE
2 and DE 6.

DE 54 shares a number with MD 54. DE 16 is an extension of MD 16 but
it is in sequence for the low even route numbers.

The only three-digit routes that are not extensions from other states
are DE 141 (which partially follows DE 41's former routing) and DE 202
(which follows US 202's former routing).

Steven M. O'Neill

May 5, 2004, 6:02:54 PM5/5/04
John Taber <jwt...@juno.com> wrote:
>All one and two-digit odd numbers run north-south but there isn't any
>kind of pattern. In fact, only DE 1, 9 and 15 run across a county
>line.
>
>Even numbers from 2 to 26 run east-west, in order from north to south,
>though DE 20 dips south and crosses DE 22, 24 and 26. Most other even
>numbers run east-west as well - the only exceptions not listed below
>are DE 30 and 72.

What about 82?

>DE 41, 52, 261, 491, and 896 are extensions of PA routes with the same
>number. DE 100 is an extension of PA 100's former routing.

896 Also runs through Maryland for a few dozen feet.

(remainder of text retained for reference, no additional comments)

>DE 48 used to connect by ferry (from Wilmington to Penns Grove) with
>NJ 48.
>
>DE 273, 286, 300 and 404 are extensions of MD routes with the same
>number. DE 299 is an extension (in a different direction) of a
>former routing of MD 299. It was also once DE 4 - in sequence with DE
>2 and DE 6.
>
>DE 54 shares a number with MD 54. DE 16 is an extension of MD 16 but
>it is in sequence for the low even route numbers.
>
>The only three-digit routes that are not extensions from other states
>are DE 141 (which partially follows DE 41's former routing) and DE 202
>(which follows US 202's former routing).

--
Steven O'Neill ste...@panix.com

Charles Sarjeant

May 5, 2004, 8:38:15 PM5/5/04
musx...@kent.edu (Marc Fannin) wrote in message news:<cc3aa42a.04050...@posting.google.com>...
> charles....@insightbb.com (Charles Sarjeant) wrote...

> There is some logic - they are along the same line, so there's
> relation, and it would be pointless to connect them since the gaps are
> primarily there because no state highway is needed there. Quirky,
> yes, but not illogical IMO. (Cf. SR A1A in Florida)

OK, sometimes quirky, but many times illogical. For example, SR 101.
The north part follows the same line as SR 227. The southern parts
don't line up well, and never will be filled in. Why not SR 401, SR
501? SR 75 segments don't line up strictly speaking. SR 121 doesn't
line up. SR 39 doesn't line up. The two SR 550 segments make no sense.
All this would be OK, except you also have SR 17 and SR 29 lining up,
yet having totally different numbers. Likewise for SR 121 (south) and
SR 229; SR 158 and SR 558; SR 128 and SR 332; SR 352 and SR 22, and
more.

The reason why I say it is illogical is the inconsistency of the
numbering scheme and the confusion it can create. An illustration of
how arbitrary the numbering is, is how what is now SR 161 into
Kentucky has also been SR 45 and SR 75 (as well as US 231).

The basic plan is very logical, but the numbering of the 3 digit
segments (especially) makes little sense.

John Taber

May 5, 2004, 10:09:33 PM5/5/04
ste...@panix.com (Steven M. O'Neill) wrote in message news:<c7boae$im8$1...@reader2.panix.com>...

> John Taber <jwt...@juno.com> wrote:
> >All one and two-digit odd numbers run north-south but there isn't any
> >kind of pattern. In fact, only DE 1, 9 and 15 run across a county
> >line.
> >
> >Even numbers from 2 to 26 run east-west, in order from north to south,
> >though DE 20 dips south and crosses DE 22, 24 and 26. Most other even
> >numbers run east-west as well - the only exceptions not listed below
> >are DE 30 and 72.
>
> What about 82?

It should have been "listed below" with those that come in from PA.

> >DE 41, 52, 261, 491, and 896 are extensions of PA routes with the same
> >number. DE 100 is an extension of PA 100's former routing.
>
> 896 Also runs through Maryland for a few dozen feet.

And it's (unsigned) MD 896, the number ultimately comes from PA.