TN I-26 Page Photo Additions

1 view

Adam Prince

Sep 18, 2006, 11:14:19 PM9/18/06
While working through the NC updates and a recently developed three year old
roll of film, I've added two photos to the Tennessee I-26 page.

http://www.gribblenation.com/tnpics/i-26/

Lots of NC work underway.

Stay tuned.

Carl Rogers

Sep 20, 2006, 6:27:00 PM9/20/06

"Adam Prince" <apri...@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message

Hi Adam,

That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
-----------------
Calrog.com, Pictures of Highway Shields: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com
Videos of Worldwide Highways: http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com
Concise, Sampled RSS Edition: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com/phs-rss.xml
Highway Shield & Travel Literature: http://www.lulu.com/calrog-bookstore

pigst...@yahoo.com

Sep 20, 2006, 8:34:19 PM9/20/06

> Hi Adam,
>
> That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
> theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
> for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Rogers
> -----------------
> Calrog.com, Pictures of Highway Shields: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com
> Videos of Worldwide Highways: http://worldwide-hwys.calrog.com
> Concise, Sampled RSS Edition: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com/phs-rss.xml
> Highway Shield & Travel Literature: http://www.lulu.com/calrog-bookstore

Dr Rogers:

I doubt if NCDOT is much concerned over any growth in traffic in this
particular
area, they are much more concerned with getting it built through
Asheville.

That is where the extreme problems lie.

>From what John Lansford has stated, NCDOT wanted 8 lanes through town
and the locals only want 6. Plus alot of the townsfolk do not want
I-26 through Asheville
at all. Anyhow that is where the problems are.

Plus throw in NCDOT's huge, huge money problems, and there you have it.

BTW, I have posted a question on transportation financing. I would
like to hear your thoughts on it, Adam's also, and anyone else that
wants to join in the discussion.

Take care,
Randy in Clearwater, FL

Adam Prince

Sep 20, 2006, 8:42:09 PM9/20/06
Randy,

The Bald Mountain Range is in Tennessee.

--Adam

<pigst...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

pigst...@yahoo.com

Sep 20, 2006, 8:56:50 PM9/20/06

Adam Prince wrote:
> Randy,
>
> The Bald Mountain Range is in Tennessee.

Its all part of the Smokies is it not?

> --Adam
>
> <pigst...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sorry, my bad.
But it still doen't change anything I said about Asheville and NCDOT
problems.

That makes it even less likely to have traffic problems.

Yeah, right, heavy traffic in Unicoi County.

Heavy traffic in Erwin

I-26 doesn't really go anywhere in TN. I know I am not going to use it
over an
I-77/81 routing. Even US 15 through VA is more attractive.

Adam Prince

Sep 20, 2006, 8:57:39 PM9/20/06

"Carl Rogers" <carl...@calrog.com> wrote in message

> Hi Adam,
>
> That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
> theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
> for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?

Sorry I'm gonna have to defer...the last time I was through that part of
I-26 in TN was August of 2003. I've only been on it twice (January 2000
being the other) and that really would not qualify me to really know if it
was possible or not.

Adam Prince

Sep 20, 2006, 9:02:00 PM9/20/06

> Adam Prince wrote:
>> Randy,
>>
>> The Bald Mountain Range is in Tennessee.
>>
> Its all part of the Smokies is it not?

Correct, but what he was reffering to was Tennesee. Which you addressed
below.

H.B. Elkins

Sep 21, 2006, 2:58:50 AM9/21/06
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:27:00 GMT, Carl Rogers wrote:

>That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
>theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
>for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?

I'm not Adam, but basically the answer is "no." There may technically be enough
ROW, but no provisions were made when the blasting was done for additional
lanes. The existing four-lane is squeezed in between the cuts on one side and
the "holler" on the other side.

This has been one of John Lansford's frequent comments (criticisms?) about the
Tennessee side of the highway, as opposed to the North Carolina side. The NC
side was built with three lanes, but the TN side would require massive blasting
to add even a truck climbing lane in the southbound direction.

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"

H.B. Elkins

Sep 21, 2006, 3:07:52 AM9/21/06
On 20 Sep 2006 17:56:50 -0700, pigst...@yahoo.com wrote:

>Yeah, right, heavy traffic in Unicoi County.
>
>Heavy traffic in Erwin

Actually, I have been on this route several times and have never noticed any
heavy traffic south of Johnson City. After you pass US 321, the traffic really
thins out.

>I-26 doesn't really go anywhere in TN. I know I am not going to use it
>over an
>I-77/81 routing. Even US 15 through VA is more attractive.

Someone needs to be promoting the US 23 corridor as a toll-free alternative to
the WV Turnpike for travelers heading south. I know that in my area, US 23 would
be the best route south to Asheville and eventually the Myrtle Beach area. I
never really minded the old route from US 19 up to Sams Gap, but even with that
missing link, US 23 was a far better and shorter route to Asheville than any
other alternative.

Scott M. Kozel

Sep 21, 2006, 7:11:04 AM9/21/06
H.B. Elkins <hbel...@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:27:00 GMT, Carl Rogers wrote:
>
> >That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
> >theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
> >for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?
>
> I'm not Adam, but basically the answer is "no." There may technically be enough
> ROW, but no provisions were made when the blasting was done for additional
> lanes. The existing four-lane is squeezed in between the cuts on one side and
> the "holler" on the other side.

The Tennessee side of the highway was built as the US-23 freeway, a
primary system highway, before the Asheville-Johnson City corridor was
designated as an Interstate highway.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Sherman L. Cahal

Sep 21, 2006, 8:57:52 AM9/21/06

US 23 is far from a good alternative. It has numerous traffic lights, a
55 MPH SL, and much cross-traffic to make it a good shortcut. Perhaps
if the state spent money in constructing it properly with more
interchanges and a 65 MPH SL, it would be nice.

fro...@mississippi.net

Sep 21, 2006, 10:13:28 AM9/21/06
> Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
>
> US 23 is far from a good alternative. It has numerous traffic lights, a
> 55 MPH SL, and much cross-traffic to make it a good shortcut. Perhaps
> if the state spent money in constructing it properly with more
> interchanges and a 65 MPH SL, it would be nice.

US 23 is 4-lanes, mostly divided. That alone makes it far better than
the other alternatives out there.

Froggie | Picayune, MS | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Sherman L. Cahal

Sep 21, 2006, 11:30:24 AM9/21/06

This is in comparison to the West Virginia Turnpike and to the west,
Interstate 75. Compared to those, US 23 is a poor alternative. What
would be a 2 hour drive from Charleston to Bluefield, would be 3.5
hours using similar mileage on US 23.

And US 23 is certaintly not divided on some stretches. The Louisa
bypass, for instance, has no median. Neither does significantly large
portions of the highway, where the median is nothing more than a 12'
asphalt strip with no divider.

You would readily enjoy sitting through all the traffic signals at
Pikeville...

Carl Rogers

Sep 21, 2006, 12:13:12 PM9/21/06

"H.B. Elkins" <hbel...@mis.net.restrictorplate> wrote in message

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:27:00 GMT, Carl Rogers wrote:
>
>>That's an interesting overview of the Bald Mountain Range. Should traffic
>>theoretically mushroom there overnight, would there be enough right-of-way
>>for a continuous six lane (3+3) configuration?
>
> I'm not Adam, but basically the answer is "no." There may technically be
> enough
> ROW, but no provisions were made when the blasting was done for additional
> lanes. The existing four-lane is squeezed in between the cuts on one side
> and
> the "holler" on the other side.

Hi HB,

Neat! It seemed that road-widening would be difficult in its current
structure, especially w/ the way terrain got cut. From the pictures
provided, it appeared the left lane of each carriageway straddled the median
structure. Southbound traffic seemed snuggled between the hillside and
median.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
-----------------
Calrog.com, Pictures of Highway Shields (PHS): http://hwy-shields.calrog.com

pigst...@yahoo.com

Sep 21, 2006, 4:31:06 PM9/21/06

Where is I-73 supposed to go through WV/KY?

I doubt if it will ever get built, but who knows.

I have to agree with Sherman, if I were going to N Eastern OH I would
still use I-77
Maybe if I were going to C-bis I might use 23. Cincy or Detroit, I
think you have to use 75.

Take care, Randy in Clearwater, FL

anon

Sep 21, 2006, 7:33:35 PM9/21/06

> I'm not Adam, but basically the answer is "no." There
> may technically be enough
> ROW, but no provisions were made when the blasting was
> done for additional
> lanes. The existing four-lane is squeezed in between the
> cuts on one side and
> the "holler" on the other side.
>
> This has been one of John Lansford's frequent comments
> (criticisms?) about the
> Tennessee side of the highway, as opposed to the North
> Carolina side. The NC
> side was built with three lanes, but the TN side would
> require massive blasting
> to add even a truck climbing lane in the southbound
> direction.

i don't think there will never be a need for 3 lanes on
the TN side, and i don't think you'd find anyone in any
DOT who would suggest it might be necessary in our
lifetimes..

i used to have an article that had comments from some guy
from NCDOT named Stan Hyatt who said the NC side was
originally supposed to be 2 lanes each direction also...
the impetus for adding the 3rd (and really only maybe ever
needed northbound) was two different closures of I-40 in
NC in the late 1990s. They had to route tons of trucks up
thru Sam's Gap, which required lots of police escort, so
they decided to add the 3rd lane to prevent backups on it
should the same thing occur. If I-40 never had those
slides, i suspect it would be two.

Scott M. Kozel

Sep 21, 2006, 9:16:45 PM9/21/06
"pigst...@yahoo.com" <pigst...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Where is I-73 supposed to go through WV/KY?

Generally along the US-52 corridor between Portsmouth, Ohio, and
Bluefield WVA. Not through Kentucky, though.