Upcoming road trip

Ray Mullins

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

I'm going to be traveling on CA-99 and CA-58, eventually heading towards
Big Bear, CA (NE of San Bernardino in the mountains) I will be going via
CA-14 and CA-138 one way, and US-395 the other. Some things I will be
looking at are the progress of CA-180 and CA-41 in Fresno, the new lack
of traffic light in Livingston, the ROW on the west side of Tehachapi
(extension of I-40?) and whether or not CA-138 is also signed as CA-48 west
of CA-14. My new ACSC Los Angeles County map shows it is; CA-138 is
supposed to run along Elizabeth Lake Rd. from Gorman to Palmdale, while
CA-48 is what is currently CA-138 west of CA-14.

Anything else that I should look at?

Later,
Ray
--
M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
(which has better transit service than Arlington TX, and 1/5 the population)

Ray Mullins

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

In article <Ev0rK...@lerami.lerctr.org>,

Ray Mullins <m...@lerami.lerctr.org> wrote:
>(extension of I-40?) and whether or not CA-138 is also signed as CA-48 west
>of CA-14. My new ACSC Los Angeles County map shows it is; CA-138 is
>supposed to run along Elizabeth Lake Rd. from Gorman to Palmdale, while
>CA-48 is what is currently CA-138 west of CA-14.

Let me clarify this.

In the Great Grand Scheme of Freeways, CA-138 would run from Gorman to
Palmdale roughly paralleling Elizabeth Lake Rd (Los Angeles County N2),
while CA-48 would run along the current path of CA-138 on Avenue D, and
continue eastward, meeting up with I-15 (there is no paralleling route
for this stretch). CA-138 would continue through Palmdale (ha!) and along
its current route to Cajon Summit.

Aside: The proposed freeway route for CA-138 roughly parallels the San
Andreas Fault.

Michael G. Koerner

Jun 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/23/98

----------
In article <6mpoli$f4i$1...@supernews.com>, mapm...@smartlink.net (Mike
Ballard) wrote:

>If you plan on taking CA 14 from Mojave south, watch for concrete to join
the
>highway from the west side at the beginning of the freeway. It was to be a
part
>of the CA 14 Bypass of Mojave.

Are there any current plans to build that?

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

MaryKDan

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Ray Mullins writes:

>I'm going to be traveling on CA-99 and CA-58, eventually heading towards
>Big Bear, CA (NE of San Bernardino in the mountains) I will be going via
>CA-14 and CA-138 one way, and US-395 the other. Some things I will be
>looking at are the progress of CA-180 and CA-41 in Fresno, the new lack
>of traffic light in Livingston, the ROW on the west side of Tehachapi

>(extension of I-40?) and whether or not CA-138 is also signed as CA-48 west
>of CA-14. My new ACSC Los Angeles County map shows it is; CA-138 is
>supposed to run along Elizabeth Lake Rd. from Gorman to Palmdale, while
>CA-48 is what is currently CA-138 west of CA-14.

First, information on the Fresno freeways:
Also, Fresno is building the CA-168 freeway at least as far north as Ashlan
Avenue. the 168 Freeway will not duplicate the route of the current CA-168 in
Fresno/Clovis which runs east-west along Shaw Avenue. The freeway will
primarily be north-south running east of Cedar Avenue (just two miles east of
CA-41) then turning NE/SW at Ashlan to Herndon and Minnewawa, passing north of
downtwon Clovis before matching the current 168 alignment toward Academy.

When I was there in March, there were shoo-flies on several streets allowing
for construction of underpasses. It looks like CA-180 is being only to
Chestnut Avenue, and, as I said, CA-168 is going as far as Ashlan right now.

As for CA-41 they are finally building the portion south of CA-99. I think it
will go as far as North Avenue as a freeway, then revert to a four-lane
expressway. (Hey, why is North Avenue on the *south* side of town?!)

Now, other things to look for:
Other things on the route, you'll notice that the former northbound left-hand
exit from CA-99 to Manteca has been removed. It appears that they are finally
widening the section between Ripon and Manteca.

The removal of the Livingston stoplight meant the demise of the good ol'
Blueberry Hill Cafe in Livingston. :(

You live in Sacramento, so you've probably seen the fog visibility test signs:
100 FEET, 200 FEET, 300 FEET. If not, you'll see them in several spots along
CA-99.

If you haven't seen a traffic circle (I imagine that you have, but it was the
subject of some discussion a few months back), there's a great one on Belmont
Avenue just 1/2 mile east of CA-99. Before the freeway, US 99 was routed
through here.

I read somewhere that there are long-term plans to eliminate the four-way stop
at CA-58 and US 395, look for progress on that and on the proposed bypass of
Mojave on the east side of town.

Also, on CA-58, have you ever stopped to see the Tehachapi Loop on the old ATSF
tracks. It hasn't changed in the past 100 years, but, since you're driving by,
it's worth a stop if you're a railfan.

OK, that's my list. Have a great trip!

- Dan Stober
West Jordan, Utah

Mike Ballard

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

CA 48 is unsigned. No mileposts either.

The Livingstion subway, as well as the location of the traffic light, is still
there. It is just north of the Cressey St. Junction. At Visalia, watch for the
original subway/overhead alignment of US 99 just east of the current alignment
on the north end of the CA 198 interchange.

There are many expressway/freeway segments of CA 58 to I-15. You might want to
see the new freeway connection for CA 58 at Barstow. The four-way stop at
Kramer Junction (US 395/CA 58) has been converted into a flashing red traffic
light.

If you plan on taking CA 14 from Mojave south, watch for concrete to join the
highway from the west side at the beginning of the freeway. It was to be a part
of the CA 14 Bypass of Mojave.

I live off of CA 14 at near Sand Canyon Road. Let me know when you are in town.

In article <199806240158...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, mary...@aol.com
says...

>Ray Mullins writes:
>
>>I'm going to be traveling on CA-99 and CA-58, eventually heading towards
>>Big Bear, CA (NE of San Bernardino in the mountains) I will be going via
>>CA-14 and CA-138 one way, and US-395 the other. Some things I will be
>>looking at are the progress of CA-180 and CA-41 in Fresno, the new lack
>>of traffic light in Livingston, the ROW on the west side of Tehachapi
>>(extension of I-40?) and whether or not CA-138 is also signed as CA-48 west
>>of CA-14. My new ACSC Los Angeles County map shows it is; CA-138 is
>>supposed to run along Elizabeth Lake Rd. from Gorman to Palmdale, while
>>CA-48 is what is currently CA-138 west of CA-14.

--
Mike Ballard
mapm...@smartlink.net
Geologist, Cyclist, Highway Historian, Railroad Fan, Road Map Collector.
Santa Clarita, California, United States of America
Virtual Tours of US 6 and US 99 are at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker/highway.htm
Visit the Santa Clarita Resources Page at :
http://www.smartlink.net/~mapmaker
History, Geology, Highway, and Local Bicycling Information

Ray Mullins

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Mike Ballard <mapm...@smartlink.net> wrote:
>CA 48 is unsigned. No mileposts either.
>
>The Livingstion subway, as well as the location of the traffic light, is still
>there. It is just north of the Cressey St. Junction.

What is the Livingston subway? I'm assuming it's not a sandwich place. :-)

>At Visalia, watch for the
>original subway/overhead alignment of US 99 just east of the current alignment
>on the north end of the CA 198 interchange.

Noted.

>There are many expressway/freeway segments of CA 58 to I-15. You might want to
>see the new freeway connection for CA 58 at Barstow. The four-way stop at
>Kramer Junction (US 395/CA 58) has been converted into a flashing red traffic
>light.

I would love to see the new CA-58 bypass in Barstow, but I won't be making it
that far (although I would love to drive CA-247). I think that the flashing
red was there when I went through Kramer Jct. in late 1996.

>If you plan on taking CA 14 from Mojave south, watch for concrete to join the
>highway from the west side at the beginning of the freeway. It was to be a part
>of the CA 14 Bypass of Mojave.

I definitely will. Will these plans be resurrected someday?

>I live off of CA 14 at near Sand Canyon Road. Let me know when you are in town.

I won't be making it that far this trip, but I do make frequent visits to
my parents and my wife's mom down in The Valley. Next time I'm there with
some free time, I'll organize a meeting of North Los Angeles Road Geeks. :-)

Ray Mullins

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

MaryKDan <mary...@aol.com> wrote:
>Ray Mullins writes:
>
>>I'm going to be traveling on CA-99 and CA-58, eventually heading towards
>>Big Bear, CA (NE of San Bernardino in the mountains) I will be going via
>>CA-14 and CA-138 one way, and US-395 the other. Some things I will be
>>looking at are the progress of CA-180 and CA-41 in Fresno, the new lack
>>of traffic light in Livingston, the ROW on the west side of Tehachapi
>>(extension of I-40?) and whether or not CA-138 is also signed as CA-48 west
>>of CA-14. My new ACSC Los Angeles County map shows it is; CA-138 is
>>supposed to run along Elizabeth Lake Rd. from Gorman to Palmdale, while
>>CA-48 is what is currently CA-138 west of CA-14.
>>

>First, information on the Fresno freeways:
>Also, Fresno is building the CA-168 freeway at least as far north as Ashlan
>Avenue. the 168 Freeway will not duplicate the route of the current CA-168 in
>Fresno/Clovis which runs east-west along Shaw Avenue. The freeway will
>primarily be north-south running east of Cedar Avenue (just two miles east of
>CA-41) then turning NE/SW at Ashlan to Herndon and Minnewawa, passing north of
>downtwon Clovis before matching the current 168 alignment toward Academy.

I am very familiar with the path of CA-168. My dad's cousin's (RIP) house
was in the ROW north of Ashlan. Of course, the house stood for many, many
years (thanks, Jerry!).

>When I was there in March, there were shoo-flies on several streets allowing
>for construction of underpasses. It looks like CA-180 is being only to
>Chestnut Avenue, and, as I said, CA-168 is going as far as Ashlan right now.

It's a start. :-)

>As for CA-41 they are finally building the portion south of CA-99. I think it
>will go as far as North Avenue as a freeway, then revert to a four-lane
>expressway. (Hey, why is North Avenue on the *south* side of town?!)

It's "North Avenue" for that little community that Fresno grew to, and for
the life of me I can't remember the name of it! Wait, I grabbed my Fresno
County Bus Book - it's Calwa.

>Now, other things to look for:
>Other things on the route, you'll notice that the former northbound left-hand
>exit from CA-99 to Manteca has been removed. It appears that they are finally
>widening the section between Ripon and Manteca.
>
>The removal of the Livingston stoplight meant the demise of the good ol'
>Blueberry Hill Cafe in Livingston. :(
>
>You live in Sacramento, so you've probably seen the fog visibility test signs:
>100 FEET, 200 FEET, 300 FEET. If not, you'll see them in several spots along
>CA-99.

Yes, and when you cannot see the 100 FEET sign, get off the roadway. :-)
Been there done that scared me.

>If you haven't seen a traffic circle (I imagine that you have, but it was the
>subject of some discussion a few months back), there's a great one on Belmont
>Avenue just 1/2 mile east of CA-99. Before the freeway, US 99 was routed
>through here.

As above, I spent a few summers in Fresno <fill in joke here>, so I'm familiar
with the Belmont traffic circle. I wouldn't spend much time in that area,
though (cheap motels, prostitute and drug heaven).

>I read somewhere that there are long-term plans to eliminate the four-way stop
>at CA-58 and US 395, look for progress on that and on the proposed bypass of
>Mojave on the east side of town.

OK. My original plans were to go through Barstow and catch the new CA-58
bypass there, but my wife correctly pointed out that it would be better to
take either CA-14 or US-395. Maybe next time we go to Arizona...

>Also, on CA-58, have you ever stopped to see the Tehachapi Loop on the old ATSF
>tracks. It hasn't changed in the past 100 years, but, since you're driving by,
>it's worth a stop if you're a railfan.

That has been on my list of places to stop at for years and years, but the
only time I was on CA-58 in that area I was driving a 24' Ryder with a ca
trailer, which made stopping at the loop impractical. :-)

Maybe I can convince my wife that this would be a good place to stretch our
legs. :-)

>OK, that's my list. Have a great trip!

Thanks!

Mike Ballard

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

The only plans for a Mojave Bypass are for CA 58 currently. I am unsure as to
when it will be built though. It needs it badly.

In article <6mq0l2$216$1...@news.athenet.net>, migi...@diataeixii.com says...

>----------
>In article <6mpoli$f4i$1...@supernews.com>, mapm...@smartlink.net (Mike
>Ballard) wrote:
>

>>If you plan on taking CA 14 from Mojave south, watch for concrete to join
>the
>>highway from the west side at the beginning of the freeway. It was to be a
>part
>>of the CA 14 Bypass of Mojave.
>

>Are there any current plans to build that?

>Regards,
>
>Michael G. Koerner
>Appleton, WI
>
>***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
>address to reply. ***NOTICE***

Casey Cooper

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Ray Mullins wrote ...

>What is the Livingston subway? I'm assuming it's not a sandwich place. :-)

In this case it refers to a railroad undercrossing, usually a narrow one.
The Livingston structure was built in 1938 as a four lane divided road,
though it is now a two lane divided road. Ah, progress. More generically, it
refers to a route below something (the "sub" part), usually another route.
Just like the subways on the Subway Sandwich walls!

Looks like another word for me to add to my glossary!

Casey