Possible error in group FAQ regarding at-grades on Interstates ...

Larry

Jul 9, 2003, 4:47:56 PM7/9/03
I just took a drive through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona the other
day along I-40, where the FAQ for the group mentions at-grade
intersections along that route. I only noticed one definite one in New
Mexico (two more possible -- though not signed -- ones there as well),
and none in Texas. Perhaps Marc Fannin needs to update that particular
section of the FAQ with help from people in that area ...

Larry

Brian Reynolds

Jul 9, 2003, 6:34:17 PM7/9/03

"Larry" wrote ...

Larry might have a point here. It has been many years since I traveled I-40
through Texas and New Mexico (4 times between 1964 and 1983), but I don't
recall any at-grades along that highway. Then again, I was a passenger all
of those trips, not the driver.

However, I did travel (and drive) I-20 and I-10 a few years ago, and
remember lots of at-grade intersections along those routes.

I'm sure there are lots of m.t.r. regulars more familiar with these roads
that will have the definitive answer.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Cody Goodman

Jul 9, 2003, 7:05:16 PM7/9/03
Also there should be added the information about the roads on I-40 in NC
west of Asheville. Those roads seem to either be national forest roads or
serve other areas in the mountains of western NC.

"Larry" <harv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Alan Hamilton

Jul 10, 2003, 4:02:26 AM7/10/03

There are several signed ones on I-40 west of Albuquerque:
http://www.arizonaroads.com/us70/907p.html

There are definitely ranch roads connecting to I-10 east of El Paso
and I-40 west of Amarillo. I saw them in 2002.

In Arizona, I'm aware of ranch roads off I-8 and I-17.
http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=450&y=4550&z=12&w=1
http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=455&y=4547&z=12&w=1
(The pavement that's not part of I-8 is abandoned AZ 84)
http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=507&y=4763&z=12&w=1

Calling them "intersections" might be an overstatement -- these aren't
likely to get more than 1 vehicle a day. I do need to get some
pictures of the Arizona ones for my website. I recall an abandoned
gas station behind a gate off I-8 between Gila Bend and Casa Grande.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.arizonaroads.com

Justin

Jul 10, 2003, 7:58:41 AM7/10/03

"Larry" <harv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

There are lots of driveways on I-40 near Vega west of Amarillo... I dont
remember if they're signed, I dont think so. They're not what I'd call
"intersections" either.

Justin

Justin Rhodes

Jul 10, 2003, 10:22:29 AM7/10/03
harv...@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote in message news:<f328640e.03070...@posting.google.com>...

there are a few driveways on I-10 between MP 344(near willcox) and
Tucson.

I believe one leads to a power substation, another leads to an El Paso
Gas line. A few others just have gates and lead off to nowhere(must be
ranches)

I'll have to get some pics next time I travel that way.

Pete Jenior

Jul 10, 2003, 12:01:59 PM7/10/03

"Justin" <jus...@removethisairmail.net> wrote in message
I was on all of I-40 in Texas in 1998. On the westernmost stretch of the
road (about 25 miles or so before the NM line I think), the frontage roads
go away. I know there was at least one place where there was an
"intersection" *without* a median crossover (i.e. right turns only). The
side road was gated IIRC.
-Pete

Marc Fannin

Jul 10, 2003, 5:36:02 PM7/10/03
harv...@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote...

Using this thread:
http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#41

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Pete Jenior

Jul 10, 2003, 6:18:50 PM7/10/03

"Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote in message

> harv...@hotmail.com (Larry) wrote...
>
> > I just took a drive through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona the other
> > day along I-40, where the FAQ for the group mentions at-grade
> > intersections along that route. I only noticed one definite one in New
> > Mexico (two more possible -- though not signed -- ones there as well),
> > and none in Texas. Perhaps Marc Fannin needs to update that particular
> > section of the FAQ with help from people in that area ...
>
> Using this thread:
> http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#41

Marc - as someone else mentioned, you should add I-40 in the Smokies (not
sure if it is TN or NC) to the list.
-Pete

H.B. Elkins

Jul 11, 2003, 9:27:07 AM7/11/03
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> wrote:

>Marc - as someone else mentioned, you should add I-40 in the Smokies (not
>sure if it is TN or NC) to the list.

It's on the NC side...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net or mailto:HB...@aol.com
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Leo Auray

Jul 13, 2003, 3:14:14 AM7/13/03
There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52. It's a
rutted dirt track, but I have seen vehicles (mostly pickups; one time a state
police cruiser, of all things) drive up this track. (and I mean up; it
traverses the side of a large hill, going up a couple hundred feet or so.)

Leo Auray
High Bridge, NJ

Nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war
any more.--Micah 4:3
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each
other.--Ps. 85:10

Chris Willers

Jul 14, 2003, 12:34:35 PM7/14/03
lpa...@aol.compost.bin (Leo Auray) wrote in message news:<20030713031414...@mb-m26.aol.com>...

> There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52.

A similar thing exists on I-25 in Denver. I forget between which
interchanges, but I'm thinking around the Alameda exit, there's a
driveway/bridge that goes to a former plant of some kind. The whole
thing is gated off, but I'm assuming it was once open to the road that
I-25 used to be (US 87 or whatever). Someone that's still living out
there can probably give better details. I haven't seen it in probably
5 years.

Chris Willers

Chris Willers

Jul 14, 2003, 12:34:43 PM7/14/03
lpa...@aol.compost.bin (Leo Auray) wrote in message news:<20030713031414...@mb-m26.aol.com>...
> There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52.

A similar thing exists on I-25 in Denver. I forget between which

Chris Willers

Jul 14, 2003, 12:35:14 PM7/14/03
lpa...@aol.compost.bin (Leo Auray) wrote in message news:<20030713031414...@mb-m26.aol.com>...
> There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52.

A similar thing exists on I-25 in Denver. I forget between which

Marc Fannin

Jul 14, 2003, 5:04:58 PM7/14/03
lpa...@aol.compost.bin (Leo Auray) wrote...

> There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52. It's a
> rutted dirt track, but I have seen vehicles (mostly pickups; one time a state
> police cruiser, of all things) drive up this track. (and I mean up; it
> traverses the side of a large hill, going up a couple hundred feet or so.)

This and the Denver example may be a little too subtle as these seem
to be service roads not open to the general public (others including
myself have made reference to one on the Indiana Toll Road as well),
and intersections of these with Interstates and other freeways can be
found scattered throughout the U.S. The question in the FAQ is more
geared towards general-use intersections where an interchange should
be under normal conditions. (Then I suppose the NC I-40 example might
be out again, though forest roads IIRC are open to the public....)

zachary m. amaryllis

Jul 16, 2003, 9:19:16 AM7/16/03
Jayh...@yahoo.com (Chris Willers) wrote in

if its on northbound, it might be for gates rubber...

Pete Jenior

Jul 16, 2003, 11:44:47 AM7/16/03

"Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote in message
> lpa...@aol.compost.bin (Leo Auray) wrote...
>
> > There's also a driveway, of sorts, from I-287 SB in NJ near mile 52.
It's a
> > rutted dirt track, but I have seen vehicles (mostly pickups; one time a
state
> > police cruiser, of all things) drive up this track. (and I mean up; it
> > traverses the side of a large hill, going up a couple hundred feet or
so.)

> This and the Denver example may be a little too subtle as these seem
> to be service roads not open to the general public (others including
> myself have made reference to one on the Indiana Toll Road as well),
> and intersections of these with Interstates and other freeways can be
> found scattered throughout the U.S. The question in the FAQ is more
> geared towards general-use intersections where an interchange should
> be under normal conditions. (Then I suppose the NC I-40 example might
> be out again, though forest roads IIRC are open to the public....)

Forest roads are "more public" than privately-owned ranch entrances.
-Pete