Font(s) for Alberta primary-highways

Carl Rogers

Jul 18, 2005, 2:03:17 PM7/18/05
Does anyone know which font(s) Alberta uses for its provincial primary
highway-shields? Some examples of these highways are Highway 2 (AB-2) and
Highway 22X (AB-22X).

I'm most interested in the font which identifies the provincial name. If it
can be downloaded anywhere, any insight to this would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
-----------------
Calrog.com Highway-Shield page: http://hwy-shields.calrog.com
Highway Enthusiast forum: http://forums.calrog.com

GK...@flash.net

Jul 18, 2005, 3:15:45 PM7/18/05

For the font for the numbers, look up the "Roadgeek" family of fonts.
The "22X" looks like it was in the FHWA "B" font (don't know what the
Canadian equivalent is).

The font used for the provincial name looks like a one-off design
project. Avant-garde is close in style, but I'm sure someone could find
something closer.

Gregory Pietsch

Robert Cruickshank

Jul 18, 2005, 5:35:47 PM7/18/05

That font is used to render "Alberta" on all kinds of government
documents and items, from provincial government offices to license
plates (Alberta: Wild Rose Country).

According to the Provincial Government, the logo was created in 1972 and
"Its use is restricted to provincial government departments and agencies."

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive

Carl Rogers

Jul 18, 2005, 7:01:06 PM7/18/05
> That font is used to render "Alberta" on all kinds of government
> documents and items, from provincial government offices to license
> plates (Alberta: Wild Rose Country).

> According to the Provincial Government, the logo was created in 1972 and
> "Its use is restricted to provincial government departments and agencies."

That's pretty interesting. In more ways than one, it seems the
provincial government is proactive in protecting its intellectual
property. This morning, I was thumbing through Alberta's Infrastructure
and Transportation page, and found that the province actually
*trademarks* its intellectual property. As a kind gesture, they're
willing to let anyone cite their works, assuming the cited work(s) are
used for non-commercial purposes. Here's a snip:

"Ministry material, including copyright and marks under the Trade Marks
Act (Canada), is owned by the Government of Alberta and protected by
law.

Any other copyright and terms of use statements are found in the
content.

Permission Statement

Ministry material may be used, reproduced, stored or transmitted for
non-commercial purposes. However, Crown copyright is to be
acknowledged. If it is to be used, reproduced, stored or transmitted
for commercial purposes, arrange first for consent by contacting...
(continues)".

For those unaware, "Crown copyright applies to all works produced by
the British Government subject to the condition that the qualification
"Where a work is made by Her Majesty or by an officer or servant of the
Crown in the course of his duties" is met". (from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright)