UP question re Jerry Davis

Ken Stitzel

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Hey, UP fans,

Saw this squib in an article about the reopening of Roseville "Davis"
yard:

> Under a sunny sky on May 26, Chairman Dick Davidson dedicated the
> rebuilt facility and revealed its name -- the J.F. Davis Yard, a
> tribute to recently retired Vice Chairman Jerry Davis, who was on
> hand for the ceremony.

Got me to wondering what exactly was going on with Davis. Last I'd
heard he had retired from the position of president and COO and was
Vice Chairman. Is he now recently retired from the vice-chairmanship,
too?

Just curious. Davis seems to have won a lot of respect wherever he has
worked.

--
Ken Stitzel (k...@fc.hp.com)
Learning Products Engineer (tech writer with functional enhancements)

(Opinions stated herein are provided without warranty on 100-percent
recycled electrons and are not representative of official or
unofficial HP policy on Roseville/Davis nomenclature, although there
is a Davis west of Roseville, too.... ;-)

stas...@ix.netcom.com

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
Ken Stitzel wrote:

> Hey, UP fans,
>
> Saw this squib in an article about the reopening of Roseville "Davis"
> yard:
>
> > Under a sunny sky on May 26, Chairman Dick Davidson dedicated the
> > rebuilt facility and revealed its name -- the J.F. Davis Yard, a
> > tribute to recently retired Vice Chairman Jerry Davis, who was on
> > hand for the ceremony.
>
> Got me to wondering what exactly was going on with Davis. Last I'd
> heard he had retired from the position of president and COO and was
> Vice Chairman. Is he now recently retired from the vice-chairmanship,
> too?
>
> Just curious. Davis seems to have won a lot of respect wherever he has
> worked.

Actually, it's Jerry R. Davis Yard and he retired from the UP. Everyone
liked him. A railroader since the age of 19, he served as President of
both the SP and UP.

Riverline

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
I believe he's been on the Board of QWEST Corporation as an outside director,
as well.
QWST's principal shareholder is Phil Anschutz of D&RGW, and SP fame...

Paul

Kevin DeGroff

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
Riverline wrote:

These guys at Qwest are trying to take over USWest, the communications company,
right now. I think they are bidding against some other group, and USWest does
not support the Qwest endeavors. I think the offer was $80 Billion or something
outrageous like that.

Ken Stitzel

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Kevin DeGroff (kdeg...@csi.com) wrote:
> These guys at Qwest are trying to take over USWest, the
> communications company, right now. I think they are bidding against
> some other group, and USWest does not support the Qwest endeavors.
> I think the offer was $80 Billion or something outrageous like that.

Didn't know Davis was involved with QWest. Interesting.

The QWest/USWestmerger/offer/whatever went through. Haven't read up on
it yet. Will they call it QSWest? :-)

Don't know much about the relationship between SP/Sprint/QWest, but I
wonder if those mundane old former SP rights of way (to which Anschutz
still has access for fiber optics) are still enabling this freight of
information....

--
Ken Stitzel (k...@fc.hp.com)
Learning Products Engineer (tech writer with functional enhancements)
HP-UX Development Lab (UNIX=HP)
Hewlett-Packard Company (a pretty cool company to work for)
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA (somewhere east of Masonville)

(Opinions stated herein are provided without warranty on 100-percent
recycled electrons and are not representative of official or

unofficial HP policy on queues to take a cue on QSWest.... ;-)

Bnsftulsa

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
>Don't know much about the relationship between SP/Sprint/QWest, but ......>>>

I believe Sprint was originally owned by SP.

Dick Brundage
Tulsa Oklahoma bnsf...@aol.com

Eric Jackson

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
In article <7mvr1h$rc8$2...@fcnews.fc.hp.com>, Ken Stitzel <k...@fc.hp.com> wrote:
>Kevin DeGroff (kdeg...@csi.com) wrote:
>> These guys at Qwest are trying to take over USWest, the
>> communications company, right now. I think they are bidding against
>> some other group, and USWest does not support the Qwest endeavors.
>> I think the offer was $80 Billion or something outrageous like that.
>
>Didn't know Davis was involved with QWest. Interesting.
>
>The QWest/USWestmerger/offer/whatever went through. Haven't read up on
>it yet. Will they call it QSWest? :-)
>
>Don't know much about the relationship between SP/Sprint/QWest, but I
>wonder if those mundane old former SP rights of way (to which Anschutz
>still has access for fiber optics) are still enabling this freight of
>information....

From what I understand, most of Qwest's net work consists of all
those fiber optic cables that are often seen being burryed along
the tracks. Well not often but I can remember when they
did it along my home town line.

Eric

Ken Stitzel

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Bnsftulsa (bnsf...@aol.com) wrote:

: I believe Sprint was originally owned by SP.

Yep. Don't remember the exact acronym without a trip to the dusty
archives, but it was something like SP INTernal communications--or
something else. Suffice it to say SP put the SP in Sprint. I'm not a
big fan of Phil Anschutz handling of railroad affairs, but he has
undeniably done very well by his original purchases of D&RGW and
SP....

--
Ken Stitzel (k...@fc.hp.com)
Learning Products Engineer (tech writer with functional enhancements)
HP-UX Development Lab (UNIX=HP)
Hewlett-Packard Company (a pretty cool company to work for)
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA (somewhere east of Masonville)

(Opinions stated herein are provided without warranty on 100-percent
recycled electrons and are not representative of official or

unofficial HP policy on doing well, which I won't be if I don't get
back to work.... ;-)

Bruce W. trainperson

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99

> Don't know much about the relationship between SP/Sprint/QWest, but I
> wonder if those mundane old former SP rights of way (to which Anschutz
> still has access for fiber optics) are still enabling this freight of
> information....

SPrint was the Southern Pacific telephone system for many years before being
sold off in the early 80's. If I remember correctly it was

Southern Pacific Regional Network Telephone that the name SPRiNT came from!

Michael G. Koerner

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99

The acronym is actually "Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network
Telecommunications". At one time many years ago, SP upgraded the
system, found themselves with some excess capacity and started leasing
out the space to other companies.

Regards,

Michael G. Koerner
Appleton, WI

***NOTICE*** SPAMfilter in use, please remove ALL 'i's from the return
address to reply. ***NOTICE***

James Robinson

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> "Bruce W. trainperson" wrote:
> >
> > SPrint was the Southern Pacific telephone system for many years before being
> > sold off in the early 80's. If I remember correctly it was
> > Southern Pacific Regional Network Telephone that the name SPRiNT came from!
>
> The acronym is actually "Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network
> Telecommunications". At one time many years ago, SP upgraded the
> system, found themselves with some excess capacity and started leasing
> out the space to other companies.

That expansion is certainly the most common one you'll see for SPRINT.
However, I don't know what to think of the SPRINT acronym. I once read
from what I considered a reliable source that it actually didn't stand
for anything when SP owned it. The official name of the company was
Southern Pacific Communications. All the meanings were either a
creation of people's imagination, were unofficial, or were coined after
SP ownership.

A search of the web turns up yet another expansion of the acronym:

'Sprint - This actually is an acronym for "Switched Private Network
Telecommunications," which was originally a service from Southern
Pacific Communications. In 1983, GTE acquired Southern Pacific
Communications, and changed its name to GTE Sprint Communications. In
1986, Sprint spun off as a separate company.'

I've even seen others with "Integrated Network," or "Internet, " or
"Relayed," or "Information Network."

Given how many variations there are, it suggests that SPRINT probably
didn't have an official meaning, but internally may have been called
what you suggest. Another supporting argument is that TOPS, the SP car
tracking system that many railroads purchased for their own use, had an
acronym for designating specific siding locations. The acronym was
SPINS, and every siding was assigned a SPINS number. SPINS was short
for Southern Pacific Industrial Numbering System, demonstrating that SP
liked to put their name on things.

Chuck Till

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
> In 1983, GTE acquired Southern Pacific Communications, and changed its
> name to GTE Sprint Communications. In 1986, Sprint spun off as a separate
> company.'

A bit more precise: GTE acquired Sprint in 1983. In 1986, GTE contributed
Sprint to form a new a partnership named U.S. Sprint, the partners of which
were GTE and United Telecom, who also contributed to the partnership
some business assets formerly known as U.S. Telecom.

Some time later, the "U.S." preface in Sprint's name was dropped.
Eventually, United Telecom bought out GTE's slice of the partnership and
changed the name of the corporate holding company to Sprint.