A pipeline of lies

Muskie

Jun 16, 2001, 2:17:44 PM6/16/01
http://fieldandstream.com/sportsmansissues/fs/drill.html

Field and Stream

Of course we need to drill the ANWR. Just ask the men who stand to
profit.

The present debate over proposed oil drilling in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) is‹as Yogi Berra might have
said‹"deja vu all over again." For those of us who campaigned in
the first Alaskan North Slope Drilling War 30 years ago, Big Oil's
claims and promises today have an all-too-familiar ring. We're told
industry only wants to put down a few "test wells." That's like a fox
telling a rabbit it only wants to nibble behind the ears.

Industry claims that if oil comes in, building additional wells and a
pipeline connecting the ANWR field to Prudhoe Bay and the ice-free
port of Valdez would result in only "negligible" environmental damage.

Yet consider this: At Prudhoe Bay, an average of 500 oil spills have
occurred each year over the past two decades. Furthermore, in 1986,
after 64 million gallons of toxic chemicals and heavy metals spilled
on the tundra, Big Oil promised to restore the contaminated area. But
since politicians and the press seemed satisfied with words alone,
nothing more substantive was done.

Have You Heard This One Before?
Big Oil spokesmen claim that caribou behavior has been unaffected by
human activity at Prudhoe Bay. Nonindustry ecologists disagree; they
also point out that wolves and grizzly bears have completely
disappeared from the Prudhoe region‹likely casualties of bored,
off-duty workers with rifles.

Big Oil's most famous fantasy was probably that, in the "remote event"
of a spill at Valdez, it had state-of-the-art equipment and specially
trained personnel standing by to contain and quickly clean up the
mess. The world learned just how hollow that promise was on March 24,
1989, when the Exxon Valdez grounded on Bligh Reef and spilled nearly
11 million gallons of oil into the biologically rich waters of Prince
William Sound. More than 470 miles of once pristine shoreline were
contaminated by lethal sludge. Twelve years later, for those of us who
remember the region from before, long stretches of coast remain eerily
empty.

Another lie used to persuade Americans to accept the exploitation of
Prudhoe oil was that none of it would be sold abroad. Big Oil
spokesmen stressed that Alaskan crude was critically needed in the
lower 48 to hold down petroleum prices and help make our nation
independent of fickle foreign cartels.

After environmentalists found evidence that some loaded tankers
leaving Valdez were crossing the Pacific to Japan, industry spokesmen
blithely turned their former rationale upside down by suggesting that
foreign sales would help alleviate our growing trade deficit with
Asia: As long as we crave cheap (because it's subsidized by the
Japanese government) fishing tackle, firearms, outboard motors,
all-terrain vehicles, and other recreational equipment, we must
plunder and export the raw resources of Alaska‹fish, timber, and
oil‹to pay for it.

A Promise Made Is a Promise...Broken
Today, Big Oil is again stressing that ANWR oil is desperately needed
to stave off energy shortages in the lower 48, and as before, industry
promises that none of the extracted oil will go abroad. Yet Alaskan
oil will always go to the highest bidder. (In this case, that may mean
China rather than Japan.) There's one old lie, however, that Big Oil
dare not repeat today. That was its promise that, if allowed to drill
at Prudhoe Bay, it would never seek drilling rights in the ANWR.

Few journalists appear to remember this 1970s pledge, but
conservationists do. And like Bob Marshall, Olaus Murie, and the other
sportsmen-naturalists who created the ANWR in 1960, we've always
advocated more substantive protection for this fabulous but fragile
landscape.

President Nixon authorized drilling at Prudhoe Bay in 1973. Seven
years later, President Carter signed the Alaska Lands Act, which,
among other benefits, enlarged the ANWR from 8.9 million to 19 million
acres.

Yet, Big Oil felt this was an infringement of its "right" to drill
wherever it pleases. In 1987 Interior Secretary Donald Hodel began
pushing for ANWR oil exploration‹an activity that struck too few
journalists at the time as a blatant conflict of interest for the
chief administrator of the national wildlife refuge system.

Hodel and his Big Oil allies said they wanted drilling rights to
"only" 1.5 million acres of the ANWR's coastal plain. They insisted
that the potential oil field was essential for "national security."
That very same year, they got the Commerce Department to issue a
foreign export license for Alaskan crude coming out of Cook Inlet.
Even the most obtuse journalist saw the hypocrisy.

Now, a new secretary of the interior‹Gale A. Norton‹is
once again pitching "national security" as the most important reason
to drill for ANWR oil. The real reason is that President Bush feels an
obligation to his most important campaign contributors.

However, Sen. Joseph Lieberman and Reps. Ed Markey and Nancy Johnson
have introduced bills that would give wilderness status‹our
nation's highest level of land protection‹to the 1.5 million
acres of the ANWR most coveted by the oil industry and most essential
to the refuge's ecological integrity.

The legislators' efforts have been given a boost by a recent
Associated Press poll showing that, although 33 percent of Americans
support oil drilling in the ANWR, 53 percent don't. Besides indicating
that most Americans would like to protect a wildlife-rich corner of
the United States that few of us will ever see, the poll suggests that
most Americans don't trust Big Oil to tell the truth or keep its word
any more than conservationists do.

Br.Roullé

Jun 16, 2001, 4:32:25 PM6/16/01

Damn it Musky ... your bleeding on me ... yechhh!

Greylock

Jun 16, 2001, 11:30:55 PM6/16/01
Given your strong feelings on the subject, I assume you do not drive or use
electricity or wear synthetic fibers, etc.

Oh .... that's right .... your have to use electricity to blather your
inanity.

Hypocritic .....

"Muskie" <furt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

James E.Dauven

Jun 17, 2001, 1:48:08 PM6/17/01
This is just another environmentalist wacho trying to scare us with
distortions of the truth.. 500 Oil spills? Yes 500 if you count the oil
leaks from under the engines of gasoline and diesel driven equipment, Oil
spilled on the ground from pipe threading machines, etc. Most of the oil
spill were in the range of a few ounces. Large oil spills 55 gal or
larger are dealt with immediately.

64 million gallons of toxic waste?
Well yes if you count the facilities for the disposal of human wastes.
Sewer facilities in the tundra don't work to well as the perma frost keeps
the bacteria from breaking down human wastes. But we will have the same
problem if we turn the place into a tourist resort for all the
environmentalist. (Oh I forgot they won't go there because, 1. Its ugly.
2. The Mosquitoes will eat you alive. 3. The black flies will eat what
ever the Mosquitoes leave behind. 4. The weather is terrible. 5. There is
nothing to see anyway.)

Heavy metals spilled. Since when does the Oil industry use lead, mercury,
cadmium, and other heavy metals. I think he just threw this in for the
effect.

This is just another case of a environmentalist who has only stepped
outside of his air conditioned office, to walk to his air conditioned car,
to drive to his air conditioned home to smoke is air conditioned dope and
write articles trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lives that
entail working in the hot sun or the deep snow so this country can survive
the idiots like him.

Pardon me I have to go oil my chain saw cutting chain so I can cut down
another tree and train my mountain lion to kill and eat a few tree huggers

The Independent ( a logger from Oregon)

Muskie wrote:

Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

Wade

Jun 17, 2001, 3:00:37 PM6/17/01

"James E.Dauven" <jam...@web-ster.com> wrote in message
Its more like a unemployable looser that cant afford any kind of motorized
vehicle, so it wont matter much if he has gas or not.
Wade

David Rahman

Jun 20, 2001, 8:48:12 PM6/20/01
Are you expecting anyone to believe that a rigger ever took the time to report
anything that couldn't be seen from a satelite photo.
Do you understand the concept of wilderness,it includes no oil
riggs,not even one little itty bitty test rig.
Why not put a 40 inch steam line strait down 4000 feet in the middle of warren
county pennsylvania and you will get all the
sweet light crude you can handle,awe but thats just too damn
easy and you cant go hellocoptering around throwing dynomite
at the local wildlife,it tends to shoot back in pennsylvania and
pipelineres tend too be a bunch off passiveaggressive weenies
who cant stand being challenged.
Piles off dead animals killed by bored oil field workers dont make it on the
five oclock news,so what you think that word doesnt get out.
A great number of people do not want any development in
the wildlife refuge,that includes hippy dippy hotels with
composting toilets,nothing,zip nada,a wildlife refuge is a place where the
animals can live without any human intervention,
and that includes biologist running around with tranquilizer
guns,which by the way kiddies results in a significant level
of mortality,any which way riggers and pipeliners are a bunch
of useless shits who make 80 grand a year and spend 90,duna
da na na cocain.
David Rahman

Tom Beckner

Jun 20, 2001, 9:58:44 PM6/20/01
Nothing personal, David, but reading your post caused me to chuckle.

It reminded me of a circa 1959 article in "True (the man's magazine)" about
the "goddam'environmentalists" and their protests of impending doom to
follow the Alaskan Pipeline.

Tom Beckner

David Rahman <david...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Gunner ©

Jun 20, 2001, 2:59:45 PM6/20/01

So... Dave.. when was the last time you worked the Slope? From the semi
hallucinated contents of your post..your contact with the oil industry
starts and ends with Jiffy Lube. Riggers? Lol... snicker.. a rigger is a
guy who runs a crane, or moves machinery, you feeb. Ive worn out more
boots in the oilpatch than you have ever bought.. but given your
post..you are not far out of training shoes.. Buster Brown style.

40" steam line...ok... is that liner or conductor string? Forward or
reverse flow? I hope your using co-gen tech, with manifolds at the blow
rings and center flow.

What gravity is that Penn sweet light crude? High or low sulphur?
Whats longer..the circumference of a round brimmed hardhat or the height
of a 55 gal drum. How much IS a barrel of oil in gallons? Ever fracked
or bailed a well? Tell us about it. Whats Barite used for?

Finish this old old oil patch poem:
High kelly and a dull bit..

Tweeb. Hell boy.. you aint a tweeb..your a ginzel. And a damned poor
one. Spit! and for Gods sake, learn to write.. where did you learn to
post..from Jim Morrison?

Gunner

"What secret knowledge, one must wonder, is breathed into lawyers when
they become Justices of this Court...? Day by day, case by case, it is
busy designing a Constitution for a country I do not recognize."
--Justice Antonin Scalia

Rick Courtright

Jun 21, 2001, 10:02:52 AM6/21/01
Gunner © wrote:

> So... Dave.. when was the last time you worked the Slope? From the semi
> hallucinated contents of your post..your contact with the oil industry
> starts and ends with Jiffy Lube. Riggers? Lol... snicker.. a rigger is a

Say, Gunner,

Sounds like we need "Take Your Critic to Work Day!" I've never worked the oil
fields--friends have, and they tell me it's dirty as hell, harder work than a man ought
to do, and can be pretty damned dangerous. Basically the same thing Steve (DsrtTrvlr)
said. I have a lot of respect for them and their fellows.

It's easy to criticize that which you've never done, and that seems to me to be a basic
element of much "environmental" noise we hear today. Save an old pair of boots and jeans
for Davie and take him out there for a day. Betcha we'd get a different take on the
situation about sundown!

Cheers,

Rick

Br.Roullé

Jun 21, 2001, 1:06:14 PM6/21/01
LOL! Gunner ....

Loved your comeback and the memories, but you did expose yourself as a
young'n in the patch, Gunner ... I was up on BP9 in the early late 50's 60's
before I stuck my kelly in the rat hole.

I drilled right where Dave claimed all the dead animals were. The only
rifles that I saw while there were carried the Feds and a few natives, and
they only fired over the head of the polar bears to keep them from eating
the cook. The rest of us weren't even permitted to have a gun on the rig.
The only dead animals that I saw were in the native villages around Prudhoe
bay.

God I hate the way these enviro brownshirts so casually lie.

"Gunner ©" <gun...@cyberg8t.com> wrote in message

seb...@thegrid.net

Jun 21, 2001, 8:51:15 PM6/21/01

As a very happy recipient of the annual Permanent Fund Dividend I'm
really glad they build that pipeline.

Sue

Gunner ©

Jun 21, 2001, 7:59:55 PM6/21/01
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:06:14 -0600, "Br.Roullé" <borgb...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>LOL! Gunner ....
>
>Loved your comeback and the memories, but you did expose yourself as a
>young'n in the patch, Gunner ... I was up on BP9 in the early late 50's 60's
>before I stuck my kelly in the rat hole.
>
>I drilled right where Dave claimed all the dead animals were. The only
>rifles that I saw while there were carried the Feds and a few natives, and
>they only fired over the head of the polar bears to keep them from eating
>the cook. The rest of us weren't even permitted to have a gun on the rig.
>The only dead animals that I saw were in the native villages around Prudhoe
>bay.
>
>God I hate the way these enviro brownshirts so casually lie.

I had to simply swat the little bastard down... its a character defect
of mine....lol.

I hunted while on the slope..and had to pay the normal fees, licenses,
etc etc and hire a native guide etc. Just like any other tourist.

I got out of the patch in the late 70s..started roughnecking, in
Michigan, in '69/70 as an oversized, underage kid, working morning
tower. When I got off the rig in the morning, , I went to my classes in
high school. LOL..not bad money for a 11th/ 12th grader <G>. Got home
from the Military in late 73, by 74, I was on the Slope for two
winters, spent those summers roughnecking in California. Wound up
working bullshit/workover rigs in California (gotta love gin pole rigs)
until 79/80, working as a reserve Deputy at night (two years), then got
out of the cop and oil patch business. One was turning me into a bigger
asshole than I really was, the other was making me an old man...sigh.

Got into the electronics/communications industry and have stayed as a
tech ever since in one field or another. Living in the oil patch outside
of Bakersfield even to today..I still once in a blue moon work a tower
or two for brake weight friends who need a hand on a Saturday or
Sunday. Keeps my hand in it, and makes me realize that my decision to
bail out, was a good one. <G> Mostly pulling tubing and rods on steam
wells. (mostly secondary recovery around Bakersfield nowdays)

I live in a little town , about 40 miles from Bakersfield, can see Elk
Hills Naval Oil Reserve from the front porch. Got into the machine tool
(CNC) repair business about 4 yrs ago and spend most of my time on the
road now..as when the oil business went to shit in the 80s, all the oil
towns started to die. Gotta keep the mortgage payments up somehow..but
it will be payed off in less than two years..but the ex screwed the
pooch..so Ill be in debt for at least another 4 yrs... so I gotta stay
on the road till then..or we have another oil boom.

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001

Nicodemus Telrenner

Jun 22, 2001, 2:34:44 PM6/22/01
Oooookay....

David Rahman

Jun 23, 2001, 6:31:59 PM6/23/01

"Gunner Š" wrote:

> >God I hate the way these enviro brownshirts so casually lie.
>
> I had to simply swat the little bastard down... its a character defect
> of mine....lol.
>
> I hunted while on the slope..and had to pay the normal fees, licenses,
> etc etc and hire a native guide etc. Just like any other tourist.
>

> .sigh.

> I live in a little town , about 40 miles from Bakersfield, can see Elk
> Hills Naval Oil Reserve from the front porch.

Yo gunny are there any elk left in the elk hills or do you like lobbing me easy
ones while you
reminice about your misserable life.
David Rahman