The jargon file version 2.5.1 29 JAN 1991 follows in 15 parts

Eric S. Raymond

Jan 29, 1991, 9:47:50 PM1/29/91

This note should be followed by 15 parts containing the 2.5.1 29 JAN 1991
version of the infamous jargon file. To re-assemble it, simply run

unshar jargon.??

or run sh on the individual parts and cat them together.

This version contains 184 more entries than 2.4.1, includes much new
material in the appendices, and incorporates hundreds of small
additions and corrections submitted by USENETters all over the world.
In fact, it's posted as a whole new document because the context diffs
from the last version would have been over a hundred K long themselves.
However, this should be the last major set of changes.

Here are the new entries:
Ada
BAD
BiCapitalized
Brooks's Law
EOL
FISH queue
FUD
Great Runes
I didn't change anything!
IBM discount
KIPS
KISS Principle
Mongolian Hordes technique
Moof
NOMEX underwear
NSA line eater
Nathan Hale
PETSCII
Pascal
RTFAQ
RTM
SCSI
SNAFU principle
TANSTAAFL
TechRef
Winchester
airplane rule
all-elbows
backbone site
backspace and overstrike
banana label
banana problem
banner
batch
bathtub curve
belly up
bigot
blivet
bottom-up implementation
box comments
boxology
bring X to its knees
buglix
burn-in period
by hand
byte
card
cargo-cult programming
chiclet keyboard
compact
console
copper
copy protection
creationism
cube
cursor dipped in X
demo
depeditate
desk check
dinosaurs mating
disk farm
distribution
documentation
dogcow
domainist
double DECkers
driver
dump
engine
enhancement
eyeball search
face time
feature shock
fence
fix
flowchart
fold case
freeze
golden
grren machine
hacked-off
handshaking
hex
hexadecimal
hexit
hobbit
hop
hot key
huff
i14y
i18n
indent style
job security
kit
leaf site
light pipe
link
listing
lobotomy
locked and loaded
lots of MIPS but no I/O
main loop
mainframe
mangler
math-out
mickey
miswart
mixed case
mode bit
multitask
naive
naive user
netrock
notwork
nyetwork
one-line fix
overflow bit
padded cell
pain in the net
path
pencil and paper
peon
perfect programmer syndrome
phreaking
pistol
poke
port
power cycle
program
programming
puff
punched card
quad
quarter
quick and dirty
rat belt
real estate
reality check
reinvent the wheel
restriction
retrofit
rib site
rococo
rusty iron
rusty memory
sandbox, the
scram switch
script
senior bit
short card
shotgun debugging
showstopper
sidecar
social science number
softy
special-case
studlycaps
support
tall card
tayste
tea, ISO standard cup of
test
text
tickle a bug
toeprint
toolsmith
tourist information
toy language
toy program
trit
upthread
verbage
verbiage
videotex
virtual Friday
wall fallower
wank
wart
water MIPS
wave a dead chicken
weenie
winged comments
workaround
working as designed
zero-content

Future versions up to 2.6.1 (whenever that is) will be posted as
context diffs.

This version is a draft for "The New Hacker's Dictionary", now
expected to come out from MIT Press sometime in summer 1991. This
draft is being circulated to the hacker community for criticism and
additions. Your comments and new entries are welcomed; mail them to
jar...@snark.thyrsus.com or ...!uunet!snark!jargon.

Please get your comments and revisions in soon. The freeze deadline
for the manuscript is not that far in the future.

I can also be reached by USnail at 22 S. Warren Ave., Malvern PA 19355
or by phone at (215)-296-5718. However, I *strongly* prefer
submissions, comments and criticism to be communicated via email.

Erik Naggum

Jan 30, 1991, 4:17:39 PM1/30/91
The entry for <M> seems to have been confused with the entry for <K>:

<M> [from <mega->] /kay/ n. A megabyte (1024 bytes). Also
written MB (this conflicts with use of M by scientists, under
which MB would denote 1000-byte units). See also <kilo->.

I think the pronunciation element is telling.

--
[Erik Naggum] Snail: Naggum Software / BOX 1570 VIKA / 0118 OSLO / NORWAY
Mail: <er...@naggum.uu.no>, <en...@ifi.uio.no>

Magnus Olsson

Feb 1, 1991, 7:44:08 AM2/1/91
Part 9 of this file never reached our site. Could someone out there
who's received it please mail me about it? (But please don't send me
the file until I've replied - I don't want my mailbox flooded :-) )

Magnus Olsson | \e+ /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics | \ Z / q
University of Lund, Sweden | >----<
Internet: mag...@thep.lu.se | / \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52 | /e- \q

Sean M. Wetterer

Feb 1, 1991, 6:40:07 PM2/1/91

For those of us with FTP access and who really hate to decompress and
reassemble programs, where can the Jargon File 2.5.1 be found in one piece?

Sean M. Wetterer New Jerseyan and not afraid to admit it
Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91126 So where are all the chemistry groupies?
maca...@tybalt.caltech.edu No we aren't in San Luis Obispo!

Tom Link

Feb 2, 1991, 1:22:38 PM2/2/91
>For those of us with FTP access and who really hate to decompress and
>reassemble programs, where can the Jargon File 2.5.1 be found in one piece?

dorm.rutgers.edu

pub/jargon/jargon.251 (uncompressed)
pub/jargon/jargon.251.Z (compressed)

--
Tom Link, University Of Pittsburgh __ _ ___
DARPA Internet: tm...@cis.pitt.edu (tm...@130.49.254.10) (__ |-| /-\ _|_ |\|