Pool Drain Danger

Hong Kong Youngs

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

I read a few of the posts about floatation devices and the associated
dangers. It brought to mind a story I saw on a news magazine (20/20?).
The story was about pool drains, and like floatation devices, I never
considered that they could be deadly, but they can. So I'll post this in
hopes it will raise awareness and prevent a tragedy.

The problem is that the drains produce an enormous amount of suction.
Kids like this, and will stick their fingers in and sometimes even sit
on the drains. The amount of suction produced is sufficient to pull the
intestines out of the body and into the drain, with deadly consequences.

Many public pools are now installing safety drains which prevent the
above from happening. However, if you have your own pool, or if you use
a pool public or private, I think it would be prudent to check out the
drains and demand they be changed if the old style is still in use.

Annie

stace

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

Annie:

What is the new style? What can be done? I'm curious because, having
been raised with a pool, and now having one, I know I saw something
about pool drains, but missed the shows.

If you know where I could find information, I'd appreciate it.
Although the rules are very clear and understood by all who swim in
our pool, I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks!

--Stace

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997 19:39:10 -0700, Hong Kong Youngs
<hkyo...@netvigator.com> wrote this on the bathroom wall:

remove the antispam XX from my email address to reply

Christopher Biow

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

xxst...@bga.com (stace) wrote:

>What is the new style?

Either two separate drains (intakes) are used or the intake grille is made
much larger than a child's bottom. The grilles themselves are designed in
accordance with a standard [ASME/ANSI A112.19.8M-1987] to minimize the risk
hair entrapment, though how that is done I don't know. Final US Consumer
Product Safety Commission standards have not yet been established.

>What can be done? I'm curious because, having
>been raised with a pool, and now having one, I know I saw something
>about pool drains, but missed the shows.

See http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml/96139.html [note that CPSC
uses "pump outlet" to mean "drain"]. Some I culled are:
- drains / pump intakes are dual or very large and "dome-shaped"
- bathing caps for long hair if heads will be in proximity to intakes
- an adult watching who knows where the pump cut-off switch is
- if your drain cover is marked "Hydro Air P/N 10-6200", contact Hydro-Air
at (800) 230-9560 to receive a free replacement part--the Model 10-6200
has been recalled for hair entanglement hazard.

>>...The amount of suction produced is sufficient to pull the

>>intestines out of the body and into the drain, with deadly consequences.

While the disembowelment hazard gets more hysterical press coverage, it is
simple drowning that is the greater danger.