Attn Doula choir: Squatting is NOT the issue! (also: Circumcizing CNMwife)

Todd Gastaldo

Jun 10, 2002, 4:17:31 PM6/10/02
PREGNANT WOMEN: Hire a doula! But please ask yourselves: Why are MDs and
CNMwives - and prominent ICEA-affiliated doula Penny Simkin, PT - failing to
explicitly state that semisitting closes the birth canal up to 30%?

Why are MDs and CNMwives still routinely SLASHING VAGINAS (euphemism
"routine episiotomy") - surgically/fraudulently inferring that everything
possible is being done to OPEN the birth canal - even as they CLOSE the
birth canal - up to 30%?

It's EASY to allow your birth canal to open maximally as you push your baby
out! You do NOT have to squat! See GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT, below...

Doula Penny Simkin, PT writes of herself: "Currently, [I serve]...the
International Childbirth Education Association [ICEA]...[I have] developed a
counseling approach for pregnant survivors of sexual abuse. "
http://www.pennysimkin.com/Penny.htm

Attention ICEA (again) (now via in...@icea.org and in...@pennysimkin.com):
Publications sold by ICEA promote obvious MASS SEXUAL ABUSE by MDs and
CNMwives...

Just because MD-funded law enforcement is looking the other way, ICEA should
NOT be perpetuating the mass sexual abuse by perpetuating medical
misinformation. See birth-canal-closing, vagina slashing (euphemism
"routine episiotomy") MD/CNMwife behavior discussed further below; and see
discussion of Ed Wallerstein's Circumcision Decision, ghost co-authored by
ICEA-affiliated doula Penny Simkin, PT/Pennypress: "Circumcision for other
than religious or therapeutic reasons is opposed." (Penny refused to make a
simple change that would have offered Orthodox Jewish parents the religious
option of having FAR less penis removed from their male babies.... See
below.)
http://www.icea.org/B&pennyp.htm

Jenrose (jen...@nospamefn.org) wrote:

"I understand that your goal is to educate and save babies--but you don't do
that goal any good by attacking the choir."
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ae1j07%24l3b%241%40news.efn.o
rg

Jen, thanks for writing but I'm NOT attacking the choir! I'm only attacking
BEHAVIOR. What sordid irony that the acts of omission of a prominent leader
of the doula choir, Penny Simkin, PT, *perpetuate* mass sexual abuse of
pregnant women - even as Penny counsels pregnant survivors of sexual abuse!

FACT: MDs and CNMwives *are* slashing vaginas - thereby
fraudulently/surgically inferring that everything possible is being done to
OPEN birth canals - even as they CLOSE birth canals - up to 30%...

This is OBVIOUS mass child abuse and mass adult abuse - obvious MD crime -
and sometimes it's fatal...

WHY are the choir leaders silent as MDs literally (albeit "professionally")
attack mothers and babies?

Why is GASTALDO criticized for persistently protesting OBVIOUS attacks?

Jen wrote:

"[Y]ou may well be overestimating the power of a doula in any birth
environment. After watching birth after birth happen, despite my best
efforts, in the exact position I knew was most likely to prolong second
stage, most likely to harm the baby, most likely to hurt the month, I just
had to stop going to births for a while."

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ae1j07%24l3b%241%40news.efn.o
rg

Jen, doula choir leader Penny Simkin PT fails to even mention that MDs and
CNMwives are closing birth canals up to 30%...

Why not join me in demanding that Penny simply and explicitly tell the
grisly truth - instead of concealing the grisly truth - acting by omission?

It is a FACT that MDs and CNMwives "accustomed" to semisitting are
accustomed to closing birth canals up to 30%!

Talk to your main choir leader please! I'm just calling attention to her
bizarre BEHAVIOR.

MEGHAN RODBERG - IN DEFENSE OF PENNY SIMKIN....

Meghan Rodberg (mje...@annex.com) wrote:

In defense of Penny Simkin, I have a few things to say.

1. In the picture on Stephanie's site you have no idea of what stage of
labor
the laboring woman is in. She could be in very early labor, or she could be
taking a rest from just having squatted for two hours. Construing Penny's
philosophy from one picture is not practical.

###### Meghan, I construe Penny's philosophy from Penny's *past behavior*.
After being informed that semisitting closes the birth canal up to 30%,
Penny failed to mention this crucial fact in her book even as she
uncritically noted that MDs and CNMwives are accustomed to semisitting!

"[M]ost doctors and [nurse] midwives are accustomed to the semisitting
position...[T]hey may be willing to let you try other positions, if you
ask...[But]...as you get close to delivery...[they] may ask you to move to
[semisitting]..."
[Simkin, P, Whalley J, Keppler, A. Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn:
The Complete Guide (Expanded and updated). Meadowbrook Press: Minnetonka, MN
(dist. by Simon and Schuster). 2001:201]

2. Note that Penny herself is squatting in the picture.

###### Squatting is NOT the issue!

###### Meghan, your "defense" of Penny - saying that she is squatting - is
no defense at all. It reminds me that after I pointed out to Dr. Moyses
Paciornik, MD that the "Bradley Classic" is - you guessed it - semisitting -
Jay Hathaway of Bradley Method/AAHCC whined to Paciornik that this is no big
deal because he (Hathaway) also teaches squatting!

3. In the book, it says you may be asked to move to semi-sitting.

###### Yes, I've noted this many times. See the quote above.

It doesn't
say you should *do* it,

###### Penny's *inference* though is that women *should* move to
semisitting when the medical authorities say to do so. There is NO mention
of the crucial fact that semisitting closes the birth canal - just the
blithe assurance that "most doctors and [nurse] midwives are *accustomed* to
the semisitting position..." (emphasis added)

###### WHY doesn't Penny point out that most doctors and nurse midwives are
accustomed to closing the birth canal up to 30%?!

and the book discusses the benefits of squatting.

##### Squatting is NOT the issue!

Her
book "The Birth Partner" also goes over and encourages other positions.

###### Simkin et al. say of SIDE-LYING (on p. 228 of Pregnancy, Childbirth
and the Newborn):

"Allows posterior sacral
rotation in second stage..."

###### BRAVO! - but why not also say that it allows the birth canal to open
up to 30% more?

###### Simkin et al. on SEMI-SITTING on p. 227:

"Easy position to get into (on bed or delivery table)..."

####### Arrrrrgggghhhh!!! NO MENTION of the fact that semisitting DENIES
posterior sacral rotation!

####### Simkin et al. thus promote routine closure of the birth canal up to
30%!

####### WHY is Simkin doing this after I advised her not to so many years
ago?

###### Meghan continued...

4. I'm taking a childbirth class right now taught by Penny.

###### Will you ask Penny why her book fails to mention that semisitting
closes the birth canal up to 30%?

In the very
first class, she went over squatting and asks that all of her students
practice squatting every day because it's so important. She showed how
partners can help the mom balance while squatting so they can do it longer.

###### I say again: Squatting is NOT the issue!

She's very definitely not interested in having her moms labor on their
backs.

###### If Penny were truly interested in the welfare of moms and their
babies, she would tell moms that semisitting closes the birth canal up to
30%.

##### Please do ask her why she failed to do this in her book.

##### Meghan, I would LOVE to hear that Penny said to your class that
semisitting closes the birth canal up to 30% - hope - hope - hope...

##### I would *also* love to hear that in future books Penny will start
clearly stating that MDs and nurse midwives are accustomed to closing the
birth canal up to 30%.

##### Maybe she mentions that MDs and CNMwives are closing birth canals up
to 30% in her new book, The Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to
Prevent and Treat Dystocia, with Ruth Ancheta, is now available from
Blackwell Scientific Publishers?
http://www.pennysimkin.com/Penny.htm

##### Until women hear this info from medical authorities, they will think
semisitting is OK - something it is 'just fine' to get "accustomed" to....

##### Semisitting is NOT OK. Semisitting is rather obvious criminal
negligence - it closes the birth canal up to 30%.

##### Thanks for reading,

##### Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo (to...@chiromotion.com)

PS1 I just now looked around the net for current information about Doula
Penny Simkin....

Penny is reportedly teaching doulas how to detect whether pregnant clients
have been ABUSED....

One person took the following notes regarding Penny's teaching...

"Signs she was abused...labor progression stops for no apparent medical
reason...is angry/distrustful of medical staff for no apparent reason - may
chose homebirth for this reason...feelings of mutilation by episiotomies or
tears...Remember her partner may be a survivor himself ..."
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/pennynot.html

Closing the birth canal up to 30% can stop labor progression "for no
apparent medical reason." (!)

What if women unconsciously KNOW that MDs and CNMwives should not be putting
them on their backs/butts to deliver?

What if women unconsciously know that MDs and CNMwives should not be cutting
penises and vaginas in most cases?

I indicated (in "Stephanie's doulabaloney, do *all* doulas believe this?!")
a MAJOR coincidence in time regarding American medicine's most frequent
abusive behaviors toward males and females...

I wrote:

Just before most American males have their penises senselessly ripped
apart then have part of their penises sliced off - American females are
having their vaginas
senselessly slashed - by MDs who are fraudulently/surgically inferring that
everything is being done to OPEN the birth canal - even as they stupidly
CLOSE the birth canal - up to 30%...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=AiMM8.5352%24k85.4115%40newsr
ead1.prod.itd.earthlink.net

I also wrote that in 1995, the American Academy of Pediatrics/AAP officially
stated in
effect
that MDs can no longer make
infants scream and writhe and bleed and sometimes die...and hide behind
PARENTS REQUEST IT cowardice...

According to AAP,

>>[T]he pediatrician's responsibilities to his or her patient exist
independent of parental desires...

>>...A[n infant's screaming writhing and bleeding obviously constitutes
the - TDG] patient's reluctance or refusal to assent [and - TDG]
should...carry considerable weight when the proposed intervention is not
essential to his or her welfare
and/or can be deferred without substantial risk...

>>[T]hose who care for children need to provide for measures to solicit
assent and to attend to possible abuses of "raw" power over children when
ethical conflicts occur. <<
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS
Informed Consent, Parental Permission, and Assent in Pediatric
Practice(RE9510)
Pediatrics Volume 95, Number 2 February, 1995, p. 314-317
http://www.aap.org/policy/00662.html

Routine infant circumcision is OBVIOUS child abuse - complete with
MD
cover-up lies - the latest lie (the year 2000 lie) being the notion that
babies tied to boards having their penises sliced aren't VERBALIZING "their"
pain***...

See Jonathan R. Fox/Stupid MD Neurology Trick...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=p5Bw4.359%24FM.6268%40sea-read.ne
ws.verio.net

***Way back in 1987 when I pointed out that the AAP had just perpetuated
phony "babies can't feel pain" neurology - I copied the New England Journal
of Medicine - which - just two months later - published an "inflammatory"
article it had been sitting on for over a year. This NEJM article was
"inflammatory" (one of the co-authors, Anand, told me) because it pointed
out what I had just pointed out - MDs were using phony "babies can't feel
pain" neurology!

***In an accompanying NEJM editorial, an MD said *babies* incur the pain of
their circumcisions!

###### Even when *others* are suspected of child abuse, MDs fail to
report...

###### Pediatrician KC Finkel, MD noted in the AMA's pediatric journal in
1986:

"What a terrible indictment...guilty of failing those for whom we have
chosen to be advocates."
[Finkel KC. The failure to report child abuse. AJDC. 1986;140:329-30. Quoted
by Gastaldo.]
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=5v5hul%24bk2%241%40gte1.gte.net

See also:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=5v4560%24erd%241%40gte1.gte.net

##### KEY POINT: Sticking needles into the victim prior to
"performing" the child abuse is also child abuse - i.e. - it is *impossible*
to convert this mass child abuse into a medically indicated procedure by
first sticking the baby's penis (repeatedly) with a needle full of
anesthetic.

Penny is failing to do the MINIMUM to prevent American medicine's most
frequent abusive behaviors toward males and females....

Penny may still picture an ADULT penis on her information sheet about the
INFANT penile surgery that she co-authored with the late Ed Wallerstein...

Penny told me it would be too expensive to change this SINGLE-PAGE
information sheet to picture an infant penis in order that Orthodox Jews
could be explicitly informed regarding a lesser circumcision option...

Penny's infant circumcision "information" strategy is IDENTICAL with the
infant circumcision "information" strategy of a circumcizing CNMwife named
Ilene Gelbaum!

illustration
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=rmv93.29218%24SN3.12137545%40
news1.teleport.com

In the 1980s - with absolutely NO evidence - Surgeon General C. Everett Koop
did some Saturday Evening Post marketing of circumcision - in the interest
of preventing "psychological problems."

To his credit, though, at the END of his Saturday Evening Post article, Koop
admitted that there didn't seem to be any psychological problems (the vast
majority of British parents didn't seek out circumcision) when the British
abruptly ended circumcision by simply not paying physicians to do the
procedure.

Admittedly, "psychological problems" might have occurred and just weren't
studied.

Onward...

CNMwifery Circs: TOTAL AMPUTATION - OR JUST TIPS?

Certified Nurse Midwife and "Mohelette" Ilene Gelbaum reported in 1992 that
parents and siblings would "rarely" [1992:102S] accept a child who had not
been subjected to total foreskin amputation.

Ms. Gelbaum was obviously invoking her sincerely-held Jewish beliefs because
there is no evidence for her sweeping generality (see my discussion above of
Surgeon General C. Everett Koop making the same sweeping generality in the
Saturday Evening Post in 1980)...

Ms. Gelbaum noted in 1992 that sometimes most of the foreskin is left on the
penis and claimed that it is "questionable" whether leaving most of the
foreskin on the penis confers health benefits. [1992:102S]

By 1993, though, Ms. Gelbaum was sure: Leaving most of the foreskin on the
penis provides "neither health benefits nor cosmesis." [1993:22S]
(Gelbaum's articles were: Circumcision: to educate, not indoctrinate - a
mandate for certified nurse-midwives. JNM 1992;37(2S):97S-113S; and
Circumcision: refining a traditional surgical technique. JNM
1993;38(2S):18S-30S.)

I telephoned Gelbaum after her 1993 article. Since she was not in, I called
her illustrator Timothy C. Hengst and remarked that Gelbaum's Fig. 1,
"Anatomy of the penis in the newborn," looked like an adult penis (there was
no "floppy tip").

Artist Hengst informed me that Gelbaum had explicitly asked for a drawing of
an adult penis. He said that the adult penis was clearly labelled when he
gave it to Gelbaum and that he had had nothing to do with falsely labelling
the drawing as representative of the anatomy of an infant penis in the
article.

When Gelbaum returned my telephone call, I asked her if she was aware that
she had mislabelled a drawing of an adult penis as an infant penis. She
said, "What's the difference?"

Gelbaum then asked what kind of doctor I am. When I replied that I am a
doctor of chiropractic, she demanded to know how many circumcisions I had
done and whether I had observed "thousands of infant penises" before
arriving at my conclusion that the infant penis is characterized by a
foreskin with a "floppy tip."

I told her that I had not done any
circumcisions but had three intact boys, all of whom had the characteristic
"floppy tip" extending past the tip of the glans. She hung up on me as I
began to explain to her that I relied (for my generality regarding infant
foreskin anatomy) on urologists, who describe the "floppy tip" as a normal
"redundancy" of the infant foreskin,

"The [newborn] preputial skin normally is redundant" [Levitt SB. Urology.
In Rudolph AM (ed). Pediatrics 16th ed., New York: Appleton Century Crofts,
1977:1335];

"In young children preputial redundancy is so common that it may be
considered normal. The foreskin of an infant is developed out of all
proportion to the rest of the penis..." [Keyes EL. Urology New York: D.
Appleton and Co., 1928:636];

"It is normal for the foreskin to be relatively longer in infants than in
adults, and it may well be that what appears to be a redundant prepuce at 20
days may be only a proper investment for the glans at 20 years, when full
growth has taken place and the proper balance between the prepuce and the
glans has been struck" [Lowsley OS, Kirwin TJ. Clinical Urology Baltimore:
Williams and Wilkins, 1956:111] ,

I did not get a chance to point out to Gelbaum that the rest of artist
Hengst's drawings (which Gelbaum properly labelled) clearly represented the
characteristic infant foreskin redundancy. Nor did I get a chance to
mention that Gelbaum had written that it is "quite safe" to apply clamps to
infants with "a long redundant foreskin." [1993:22S]

Had Gelbaum stayed on the telephone, I also would have pointed out to her
that her description of the traditional "freehand" circumcision technique
("pulling the redundant foreskin distal to the glans...to incise or excise
the desired amount of tissue" [1993:18S]) matches well with Chief Rabbi of
England Immanuel Jakobovits' point that "laceration" (lysing of the common
epithelium between foreskin and glans) occurs AFTER the foreskin has been
excised. [Jewish Medical Ethics, 1959]

This latter point suggests that
Gelbaum's total foreskin amputation bias is not "traditional," and that
"traditional" freehand circumcision was probably NOT total foreskin
amputation - because total foreskin amputation would only have been possible
in 4% of infants ("only 4% of foreskins are fully retractable at birth."
[Gelbaum 1993:22S]).

Before telephoning Gelbaum, I telephoned Mary Ann Shah, CNM the editor of
the Journal of Nurse-Midwifery to ask if anyone had pointed out that
Gelbaum, in her article about infant circumcision technique [1993], had
diagrammed an adult penis - and incorrectly labelled it as an infant penis.

I noted in addition that Gelbaum, a mohelet (ritual circumciser), had
described as "mistaken" [1992:102S] and "misguided" [1993:22S] God's Old
Testament circumcision practice of leaving most of the foreskin on the
penis. [For references to early circumcisers leaving most of the foreskin on
the penis see Wallerstein. Humanistic Judaism 1983;11(4):46; and The New
Standard Jewish Encyclopedia 1970, New York: Doubleday, p. 442; and
Gastaldo. MOMENT Feb 1998.]

I noted for JNM editor Shah that, in the space of one year, Gelbaum went
from claiming that it is "questionable" whether leaving most of the foreskin
on the penis confers health benefits [1992:102S], to proclaiming that the
practice provides "neither health benefits nor cosmesis." [1993:22S]

I noted also that Gelbaum cited no controlled clinical trials to support her
assertions, and that she suggested further (without controlled trials) that
parents and siblings would "rarely" [1992:102S] accept a child who had not
been subjected to total foreskin amputation.

I told JNM editor Shah that I was particularly disturbed by Gelbaum's
inference that circumcision confers Jewishness. While Gelbaum believes
that, "Russian immigrants who have been denied their Jewish heritage seek
out ritual circumcision as adults" [1992:106S], another observer has noted
that Russian immigrants to Israel are "under pressure to prove their
'Jewishness' by going under the knife." [Helm S. Writing in the London
Independent as reported in the San Francisco Examiner of August 17, 1993.
From the NO CIRC Newsletter 1993;7(2):3, San Anselmo, CA 94979-2512.]

I noted further that the fact that Israel is accepting uncircumcised Jews
under its Law of Return proves that circumcision is a CHOICE which may
legitimately be postponed until adulthood. Indeed, as noted above,
according to Rabbi MN Kertzer, "[Circumcision] is not a sacrament which
inducts the infant into Judaism: his birth does that." [Kertner MN. What is
a Jew? New York: Macmillan, 1973,1993]

(Prominent Jew Michael Lerner, publisher of Tikkun, has recently written
that Judaism was designed to "fight against" unnecessary pain, like that
inflicted during ritual circumcision. [Lerner Jewish Renewal 1994])

JNM editor Shah listened politely, but informed me that, with publication of
both circumcision articles by Gelbaum [1992, 1993], the Journal of
Nurse-Midwifery had published "enough on circumcision."

As further evidence of this, Editor Shah noted that, to allow for the many
Gelbaum's article, she had allowed a lengthy letters section in the November
1993 issue of the Journal. Editor Shah acknowledged, however, that no one
had written to make the points I was making. (Again, Gelbaum's articles
were: Circumcision: to educate, not indoctrinate - a mandate for certified
nurse-midwives. JNM 1992;37(2S):97S-113S; and Circumcision: refining a
traditional surgical technique. JNM 1993;38(2S):18S-30S.)

Editor Shah explained further that nurse-midwives are doing "many technical
procedures now," and that, besides, Gelbaum's 1993 article had not been
published in order to "feed the circumcision debate," but rather to provide
nurse-midwives with an accurate, up-to-date circumcision TECHNIQUE article.

I said that was precisely why I would write a commentary about Gelbaum's
medico-"religious" technique BIAS (inspite of the fact that editor Shah had
said she would probably not soon publish anything more on circumcision).
(Mary Ann Shah, JNM editor, 67 Tarry Hill Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591. Tel.
and Fax: 212-633-3820.)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My "adult penis" illustration episode with CNMwife Gelbaum was duplicated
with prominent child birth educator Penny Simkin, PT who told me she would
not be able to take the diagram of the adult penis out of "The Circumcision
Decision," the pamphlet she ghost-wrote and published for Edward
Wallerstein.

I had objected that circumcision is an infant surgery, and that picturing
the adult penis (without the "floppy tip" that characterizes the infant
penis; see above) only reinforces the erroneous notion (stated in the text
of "The Circumcision Decision") that orthodox Jews have no choice in regard
to circumcision. I wrote that when the infant penis is properly
illustrated - with the "floppy tip" that characterizes it - Orthodox Jewish
parents can easily see that they DO have a choice: God's original
circumcision amputated only the "floppy tip," and left most of the foreskin
on the penis.

Ms. Simkin refused to make the change, claiming in her July 31, 1990 letter
that, "It would be a rather large expense..."

The pamphlet in question is a single sheet of paper printed on both sides
and folded to make four pages. It was originally published by Pennypress,
Inc., 1100 23rd Ave. East, Seattle, WA 98112.

The pamphlet is now being published by the International Childbirth
Education Association (ICEA), P.O. Box 20048, Minneapolis, MN 55420.

A few years back, I wrote to ICEA Attn: Terry Algire, ICEA Publications
Director.

I said that Doris Olson had told me that the Publications Committee, over
which Ms. Algire then presided, could vote to add an addendum to this
pamphlet (ghost) co-written by Edward Wallerstein and Penny Simkin.

Cheryl Coleman appears to be the current president of ICEA.

ICEA Pres. Coleman, could you get the Wallerstein/Simkin pamphlet changed?

Here's the blurb for the pamphlet on the ICEA web page...

Wallerstein, Edward
* The Circumcision Decision
1990, .50p
ICPP05
Includes a discussion of the 1989 statement of the American Academy of
Pediatrics Circumcision Task Force. The pamphlet examines the practice of
routine nonreligious circumcision in the US, claimed benefits and risks, and
anesthesia. Circumcision for other than religious or therapeutic reasons is
opposed.
http://www.icea.org/B&pennyp.htm

One last note for ICEA President Coleman (and others who are interested)...

As I've said before, those who read me know that - as passionate as I am
about ending
American medicine's *second* favorite genital mutilation - my priority is
ending routine fetal skull squashing spinal manipulation by MDs - in part
because it is associated with American medicine's FAVORITE genital
mutilation:

As MDs routinely slash the vagina ("episiotomy" is the
euphemism), they fraudulently claim that everything is being done to *widen*
the birth canal - even as they *narrow* the birth canal. MDs indirectly
admit they are KILLING fetuses with their fetal skull squashing spinal
manipulation - even as they lie, censor and conduct bogus research to
cover-up... MDs are, in effect, manipulating the sacrum - by putting women
into fetal skull squashing delivery positions (semisitting and dorsal)...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bel/sorcier.htm#skull
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

ICEA President Coleman, in "Cultural Warping of Childbirth,"
http://www.icea.org/B&booklets.htm - Doris Haire calls fetal skull squashing
(semisitting delivery) the "physiological" position for child birth. Please
make sure to note, in each issue of "Cultural Warping" that you sell, that
there is semisitting is a fetal skull squashing delivery position and there
is NOTHING "physiological" about fetal skull squashing...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bel/sorcier.htm#skull
http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html

illustration
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=rmv93.29218%24SN3.12137545%40
news1.teleport.com

If Penny still hasn't changed her information sheet, she ought to do so
now...

PS2 A bright spot...

I have been invited to present a poster on MDs closing birth canals up to
30% at the 3rd World Congress on Controversies in Obstetrics, Gynecology and
Infertility (COGI 3) in Washington DC June 20-23...

Here's my abstract, to be published in the COGI 3 Book of Abstracts...

PREGNANT WOMEN BEWARE: Semisitting and dorsal delivery positions close the
birth canal up to 30% (see URL below); yet (quoting Simkin et al. [2001]):
"[M]ost doctors and [nurse] midwives are accustomed to the semisitting
position." Worse, if laboring women try to allow their birth canals to open
maximally - perhaps by side-lying or kneeling or squatting - they may find
their MDs and CNMwives closing their birth canals anyway, as in: "[T]hey
may be willing to let you try other positions...[But]...as you get close to
delivery...[they] may ask you to move to [semisitting]..." [Simkin et al.
Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn. Meadowbrook Press: Minnetonka, MN
2001:201] CHIROPRACTIC EMERGENCY: MDs are manipulating most babies'
spines - badly - "gently" pulling with birth canals senselessly close up to
30%. In an estimated 10 to 15% of births, obstetricians are GRUESOMELY
pulling on babies' heads/spines - with forceps/vacuum extractors - with
mothers on their backs/buttocks - birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.
Sometimes obstetricians pull so hard they rip spinal nerves out of tiny
spinal cords. In many births obstetricians are violently PUSHING on babies'
spines - chemically whipping uteri with oxytocin or Cytotec - with birth
canals senselessly closed up to 30%. Most babies survive and thrive, but an
estimated 4.6% of "healthy" term neonates are suffering unexplained brain
bleeds - with other babies suffering unexplained brachial plexus palsies,
and unexplained cerebral palsies, etc. Some babies are dying unexplained
deaths. OBSTETRICIANS: If you must pull or push - and sometimes you must -
FIRST get the woman off her sacrum. NOTE: The following simple
biomechanics were added at my request to Williams Obstetrics: "It should be
noted...that the increase in the diameter of the pelvic outlet occurs
**only** if the sacrum is allowed to rotate posteriorly..." [1993:285,
**italics in original] OBVIOUS NEGLIGENCE: The authors of Williams
Obstetrics left in their text (in the same paragraph!) the "dorsal widens"
bald lie that first called my attention to their text. For a discussion of
other obvious obstetric negligence - and how the 30% figure was
radiographically derived - see http://home1.gte.net/gastaldo/part2ftc.html.
My thanks to Prof. Dr. Moyses Paciornik, MD, Curitiba, Brazil, for calling
my attention to this chiropractic emergency. See the Paciornik and Gastaldo
letters in Birth [1992;19:230] Questions? Feel free to contact me at
to...@chiromotion.com.

==============END GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT========

I'm hoping to see an end to MDs closing birth canals up to 30% BEFORE my
invited poster presentation at COGI 3 June 20-23...

PREGNANT WOMEN: Please send GASTALDO'S ABSTRACT to your obstetricians -
anonymously might be best....

Please urge your obstetricians to help stop the obvious obstetric crime
before June 20-23....

Again, thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo (to...@chiromotion.com)

PS Jen wrote:

"In the position she was in, there was little pressure on her sacrum because
of how far back her legs were--far less pressure than with a semi-sitting
position."
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ae1j07%24l3b%241%40news.efn.o
rg

BRAVO! She was approaching IMPROPER McRoberts! BRAVO!

See IMPROPER McRoberts can save tiny lives and tiny limbs...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=cF1D7.6647%24I4.586569%40news
read1.prod.itd.earthlink.net

Note to Jen: If you start doing hospital births again, you may see MDs
doing "proper" McRoberts maneuver - *keeping* the birth canal closed up to
30% when the shoulders get stuck....

Criticize me if you must - but please also criticize the ACTUAL attackers!

Sometimes they kill or paralyze babies - senselessly!

Again, thanks for reading,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo
to...@chiromotion.com

Michaela

Jun 10, 2002, 7:02:02 PM6/10/02
Brevity, Todd. Think BREVITY. Most people here have tuned you out. Why? Not
because you're repeating the message ad nauseum (that's actually an
effective marketing technique, though it's generally more effective when
it's done a little more subtly than you're doing it) but because --
respectfully, I submit -- You. Don't. Know. When. To. Shut. Up.

Make your point. Make it twice, perhaps three times, in a post. Try to keep
your main argument to a few sentences or two -- instead of oh, say, 250
sentences on a good day. Then move on.

As a professional communicator, I urge you. As a newsgroup reader who has
generally learned to stop reading your messages (which negates your goal of
"education"), I urge you. As someone who understands -- *believe me*, I
understand -- that *closed vaginas are BAD*, I urge you.

Brevity, babe. Look it up.

Michaela

"Todd Gastaldo" <to...@chiromotion.com> wrote in message

Linz

Jun 11, 2002, 6:20:49 AM6/11/02

"Michaela" <Mich...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

> Brevity, Todd. Think BREVITY. Most people here have tuned you out.

Um. Could you delete his stuff, rather than reposting the whole 31kb as part
of your, now, 33kb message?

Ta.

Michaela

Jun 11, 2002, 6:46:07 AM6/11/02

"Linz" <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message

My apologies -- in my newsgroup reader/writer, it appeared to have been
deleted. Thanks for your understanding.

Michaela

Christine & Steve

Jun 11, 2002, 8:17:31 AM6/11/02

"Michaela" <Mich...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> Brevity, Todd. Think BREVITY. Most people here have tuned you out. Why?
Not
> because you're repeating the message ad nauseum (that's actually an
> effective marketing technique, though it's generally more effective when
> it's done a little more subtly than you're doing it) but because --
> respectfully, I submit -- You. Don't. Know. When. To. Shut. Up.
>
> Make your point. Make it twice, perhaps three times, in a post. Try to
keep
> your main argument to a few sentences or two -- instead of oh, say, 250
> sentences on a good day. Then move on.
>
> As a professional communicator, I urge you. As a newsgroup reader who has
> generally learned to stop reading your messages (which negates your goal
of
> "education"), I urge you. As someone who understands -- *believe me*, I
> understand -- that *closed vaginas are BAD*, I urge you.
>
> Brevity, babe. Look it up.
>
> Michaela

i second that opinion

christine

Linz

Jun 11, 2002, 8:59:56 AM6/11/02

> "Linz" <sp...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message

> > Um. Could you delete his stuff, rather than reposting the whole

> > 31kb as part of your, now, 33kb message?
> >
> > Ta.
>

> My apologies -- in my newsgroup reader/writer, it appeared to have
> been deleted. Thanks for your understanding.

It's easily done - I've done similar myself.

Jenrose

Jun 12, 2002, 2:14:28 AM6/12/02
Todd's post having been mercifully omitted (though I did go read it on
Google...) I'm tagging in here...

It is simply honest to state that most caregivers will urge a woman to move
to a semisitting position. It does not endorse the position--but to tell a
pregnant woman otherwise would be a flat out lie. Trust me, I've talked and
suggested until I was blue in the face, and still the vast majority of
births I've attended as a doula ended up in a semisit due to caregiver
preference. Frustrating as all hell.

Penny is the queen of labor progress and having met her in person, talked to
her many times, she is the last person I would ever think deserving of an
attack of the sort Todd launched.

Penny does not phrase her statements the way Todd would prefer simply
because she's a professional and has tact, and as a doula strives not to
break the trust between caregiver and client.... Todd may say that that
trust is undeserved, and I might agree. However, the fact of the matter is
that more than the position in which a woman births, the trust between a
caregiver and a client is a large part of what helps babies get born, and to
set a woman up for an adversarial (Don't you dare squash my baby's head!)
relationship with her caregiver when the vast majority of women will NOT
switch doctors even with that kind of doubt would not help the woman in her
birth. If all women would be willing to vote with their feet the minute a
doc suggested switching to semisit in second stage (yeah, right), it might
change. But many docs will talk about how they are comfortable with
squatting or side-lying, etc. and then when the birth comes, the delivery
happens semisit.

So she gives the information, well put, in such a way that those who can
benefit from the heads up will take action and those who will not pay
attention won't also be afraid

Actually, Todd may be happy to know that at every conference (including
classes which Penny has taught) I've ever attended in which the mechanics of
second stage were discussed, as well as every childbirth class I've taken
part in or taught, the mechanics of pelvic opening related to semisit were
discussed, including the information that semisitting closes the pelvic
outlet significantly. I've shown it to just about every client using a
pelvic model and squatting/kneeling exercises.

And it still doesn't make a difference. I really do understand Todd's
frustration. It is a real problem. But I disagree strongly with his approach
and suggest that he alienates far more people than he educates. An entirely
different brand of head-squashing... <wry grin>

Jen

Larry McMahan

Jun 20, 2002, 7:30:41 PM6/20/02
Jenrose <jen...@nospamefn.org> writes:

: And it still doesn't make a difference. I really do understand Todd's

: frustration. It is a real problem. But I disagree strongly with his approach
: and suggest that he alienates far more people than he educates. An entirely
: different brand of head-squashing... <wry grin>

I know this is not supposed to be a laughing matter, but LOL! :-)

: Jen

Larry