Watches stopping - Wierd question???

patrick meighen

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
According to my wife and her siblings their mother was unable to wear
a watch after giving birth. They said that every time she would put
on a watch it would stop. Is this possible, if so what causes it? My
big reason for asking is that now my wife is pregnant and her watch
has started slowing down and I was wondering if this could be the
start of something.

Sari Henry

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
In article <19951214.091839...@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>,
pmei...@wvuadmin2.csc.wvu.edu (patrick meighen) wrote:

I've heard of two separate cases of this "watch stopping" happening. Both
stories I heard were years and miles apart and in people who in no way
knew each other. Most people i've mentioned it to have poo-poo'd it. If
you find a reason for this happening please post it. It sounds
interesting.
Sari

--
Sari Henry
Washington, DC

Pam

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
You're mother-in-law is not alone. My mother is the same way, watches
stop on her too. It's really kind of wierd when you think about it. I
wonder just how common it actually is. I'm pregnant now and don't wear a
watch so I don't know what would happen. Maybe I should buy I watch and
conduct my own little science experiment :-).

Pam

Butterfly

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
Hi. The possible cause of this is the electrolytes of the body. The do
carry small electrical impulses. When you become pregnant they
usuallyincrease do to holding of water and extra body weight caused by
pregnancy. This can affect a watch.

Rose S.

Butterfly
From her we learn we are forever changing...
Bute...@crow.cybercomm.net

Kate Hallberg

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
In article <19951214.091839...@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU> patrick
meighen, pmei...@wvuadmin2.csc.wvu.edu writes:
>Subject: Watches stopping - Wierd question???
>From: patrick meighen, pmei...@wvuadmin2.csc.wvu.edu
>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 09:18:39 -0500

>>According to my wife and her siblings their mother was unable to wear
>a watch after giving birth. They said that every time she would put
>on a watch it would stop.

my mother had this occur as well. She went thru tons of watches until
she got a cheap, ugly one @ KMart which lasted for years. I think it
finally gave out so I don't know what she's doing now for a watch. It
didn't happen to me tho'.

Kate

Paul St. Jacques

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
My wife is pregnant and about 4 weeks ago her watch stopped. Of course,
this could be due to the fact that the average pregnancy lasts 9 months
and the average watch battery lasts 18 months (or so) therefore, 50% of
all pregnant women will have their watches stop.

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Sari Henry wrote:

> In article <19951214.091839...@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>,
> pmei...@wvuadmin2.csc.wvu.edu (patrick meighen) wrote:
>

> > According to my wife and her siblings their mother was unable to wear
> > a watch after giving birth. They said that every time she would put

> > on a watch it would stop. Is this possible, if so what causes it? My
> > big reason for asking is that now my wife is pregnant and her watch
> > has started slowing down and I was wondering if this could be the
> > start of something.

Charline Hawksworth

Dec 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/16/95
to ot...@clark.net
My sister was never able to wear a watch because they would always "die"
and it had nothing to do with pregnancy as she always "killed" them,
even when she was a child.

I don't know about reasons except my mother always said it had to do
with electricity in my sister's body. The suggestion was that she was to
wear felt or some such thing between her wrist and the watch. I don't
know if this was ever done nor if it worked.

Charline

Debby Stopp

Dec 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/16/95
ot...@clark.net (Sari Henry) wrote:
SNIP

>I've heard of two separate cases of this "watch stopping" happening. Both
>stories I heard were years and miles apart and in people who in no way
>knew each other. Most people i've mentioned it to have poo-poo'd it. If
>you find a reason for this happening please post it. It sounds
>interesting.
>Sari
>
>--
>Sari Henry
>Washington, DC
>ot...@clark.net

My watch slowed down immensely (it was losing 1 minute a week) and finally died
yesterday. I don't know if it's related to my pregnancy or not, though, because when
the watchmaker took it apart yesterday, he said some part had broken in it. Makes
for a good story addition!

btw - it's a mechanical watch, so it wasn't the batteries..

debby - due 20Mar96

Visley

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
My watch has started slowing down a lot the last few days. It did not do
this with my first pregnancy. If I take my watch off it keeps perfect
time, so it must be me.

Vickie and baby due 3/14/96

Amanda Lea Dawson-fenyvesi

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
YES!! I have had three different watches keep stopping on me. I
thought something was up! Glad to see it's not just me.
mandy

ewe...@execpc.com

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95

In article <19951214.091839...@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>,
<pmei...@wvuadmin2.csc.wvu.edu> writes:

> According to my wife and her siblings their mother was unable to
wear
> a watch after giving birth.

My mother has never been able to wear a watch without it
stopping. She has to wear a watch on a pin or on a chain.

Miriam Atkin

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
Charline Hawksworth (ch...@pacific.net) wrote:
: My sister was never able to wear a watch because they would always "die"
: and it had nothing to do with pregnancy as she always "killed" them,
: even when she was a child.

: I don't know about reasons except my mother always said it had to do
: with electricity in my sister's body. The suggestion was that she was to

: wear felt or some such thing between her wrist and the watch. I don't
: know if this was ever done nor if it worked.

: Charline

Same here. It drives my husband nuts because he buys me a nice
watch and *poof!*. Also, every time I'm out driving or
walking at night, at least one streetlight goes *poof!* too.

(makes me nervous about taking a plane :) )

Miriam

Shal...@sisna.com

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

There is some information about this phenomenon, though not
directly linked with preg/del. "Transformed by the Light"
by Dr. Melvin Morse. Interesting.

By the way, I have problems with most watches I wear. They
usually keep poor time or none at all. However, others can
wear the same watch without any problems. Only certain
watches seem to work for me... and I don't know what makes
them so special.

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.951221...@welchlink.welch.j
hu.edu>,
"Paul St. Jacques" <pstj...@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
wrote:
>What time is it when your watch says 13 o'clock?
>

>Time to get a new watch!
>

>On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Wendy wrote:
>
>> I never thought too much of my watch stopping during my
delivery but
>> after reading everybody's post in this thread, I'm
beginning to wonder
>> about my experience.
>>
>> My watch had a new battery & was working normally like
the rest of the
>> time. As soon as I was admitted to the hospital (water
broke & was
>> going to be induced), my watch started to go haywire.
It went faster,
>> slowed, faster, slowed, until I didn't even know what
time it was
>> supposed to be. It finally stopped a few hours before I
delivered.
>> After the delivery, it started to move again, totally
fast, slow, etc.
>> Then it totally stopped a few hrs after that, never to
move again.

>> I thought the battery had died. Got a new battery and
the watch
>> worked fine. The watch started behaving in the exact
strange way again
>> during Thanksgiving (my baby was 2 mths old then) so I
took it off. I
>> meant to call the manufacturer to get it fixed after
T'giving. But it
>> started moving again, normally, as though nothing ever
happened in the
>> first place.
>>
>> Ever heard of your watch having a life of its own?
>>
>> Wendy

Paul St. Jacques

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

Wendy

Dec 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/21/95

Heather Stroh

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
mat...@acs.ryerson.ca (Miriam Atkin) wrote:

>Same here. It drives my husband nuts because he buys me a nice
>watch and *poof!*. Also, every time I'm out driving or
>walking at night, at least one streetlight goes *poof!* too.
>
>(makes me nervous about taking a plane :) )
>
>Miriam

Wow! I thought I was the only one who drove around in sudden darkness! I
can almost guarantee that one streetlight will go out somewhere along my
route home at night. My husband just laughs and tells me that I am "such
a magnetic person the lights can't handle it". He's sweet, but I am
wondering....

Heather

S.J. Leonard

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
In article <4beu2t$b...@server.cntfl.com>,

Hmm, I have *both* problems! Whenever I wear a watch, it speeds up to be
about a half hour ahead, and no matter how often I set it back to the
correct time, it will just start running fast again. It's worst with
digital watches--I break them in a week or so. If I don't actually wear
the watch, but carry it in my backpack, it's fine. It doesn't happen with
the old-fashioned winding watches (I just forget to wind them!), but it's
not the batteries (it happens with brand-new batteries too). And I can't
count the number of times I've had a streetlight go out just as I walked
under it. It doesn't happen when I'm driving, only when I'm walking. Rick
always says, "Quit doing that!" :) These things didn't get better or
worse during pregnancy, though.

--Shelly
mom to Quinn, 10/21/95

Momma always said, "Alien is as alien does," sir.