Autism-Why the Increased Rates?

1 view

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/3/00
Vijendra K. Singh, Ph.D.
Department of Biology & Biotechnology Center
Utah State University, UMC 4700
Logan, Utah 84322

Today, I will be speaking about the autoimmunity aspect of vaccines in
autism, a medical condition that has been largely ignored by the
medical community and federal government for a very long time and yet
the incidence of autism is increasing at an alarming rate. An estimated
one-half of a million Americans, mainly children, and millions more
worldwide are known to suffer from autism, a heart-rending disorder
that severely impairs higher brain functions: social interaction,
communication, language, imagination and cognition. The disorder is a
life-long mental disability with devastating consequences for both the
patient and his/her family. Thus the financial burden is huge for the
families who care for children with autism.

Autism is an idiopathic brain disorder, which simply means that the
etiology of the disorder is not known. And there is no single, clear-
cut cause for autism. Causally speaking, I tend to think that autism is
a complex disorder, in which autoimmunity to brain plays a key role.
Today, in spite of virtually no funding available, autoimmunity is the
most extensively investigated topic of research in autism. This is by
and large due to the fact that autoimmunity is the prime target of
therapy that has proven to be quite effective in ameliorating autistic
characteristics. Thus the autoimmunity research, unlike the genetic
research, has already significantly improved the health and welfare of
individuals with autistic disorder. I have recently coined a
term “Autoimmune Autism (AA)” to refer to a subset of autism that has
autoimmune etiology. Moreover, there are scientific reasons to think
that this subset may indeed be a result of vaccine injuries to children
who display autistic regression.

Autoimmunity is an abnormal reaction immune reaction, in which the
immune system becomes primed to react against body organs. It’s a
mosaic of highly complicated interactions and networking between cells
and molecules of the immune system. The body makes autoantibodies
against itself, resulting in damage to tissues and organs.
The “autoimmune” response is what happens in autoimmune diseases such
as lupus, and my research showed that a similar response my account for
the brain abnormalities found in people with autism.

Autoimmune diseases are identified and characterized by many factors.
The hallmark is the “organ-specific autoantibodies” that have also been
identified in people with autistic disorder. To that end, I have
recently summarized laboratory data of approximately 400 cases
(autistic and controls) and found that up to 80% of autistic children
have autoantibodies to specific brain structures, in particular a brain
protein known as myelin basic protein (MBP) of the myelin sheath, a
fatty coating that insulates nerve fibers and absolutely essential for
higher brain functions. These autoantibodies are present quite
frequently (65-85%) in autistic children, but only rarely (0-5%) in
normal children and other disease controls. Accordingly, I postulated
that autism involves a specific autoimmune response to MBP -- an immune
assault that impairs myelin development in the developing brain,
thereby modifying the nerve cell functions of the brain. Ultimately, by
way of impaired wiring diagram in the brain, this results into autism.

Autoimmunity is commonly triggered by environmental exposures such as
viral infections. Virus serology (or virus antibodies) is an excellent
tool for studying virus infections in disease states. However, until
recently, such studies had not been performed for autism. Because of my
ongoing research, I became interested in examining a virus link with
autoimmunity in autism. I recently raised two specific questions: (1)
Does autistic children have a hyperimmune response (or increase of
antibodies) for a specific virus? (2) Is there a relationship between
virus antibodies and brain autoantibodies in autism? I conducted a
carefully designed study to address these two questions. Succinctly, I
made two very important observations: first, there was indeed a
hyperimmune response to a virus and it was specifically for the measles
virus (MV), but not for the other viruses tested [human herpesvirus-6
(HHV-6), rubella virus (RV), and cytomegalovirus (CMV)]; and secondly,
there was an association between measles virus antibodies and MBP
autoantibodies (i.e., the higher the measles virus antibody level the
greater the chance of brain autoantibody). Few months earlier in the
same year (February, 1998), I had already found that many autistic
children had antibodies to a specific protein of the measles-mumps-
rubella (MMR) vaccine (MMR vaccine preparation). These viral antibodies
were also related to positive titers of brain MBP autoantibodies. This
was most probably the first laboratory-based evidence to link measles
virus and/or MMR vaccine to autoimmunity in children with autism.
Collectively, these observations led me to speculate that autism may be
caused by a measles- or MMR vaccine-induced autoimmune response.
Unfortunately, due to lack of funding, I have not been able to extend
this research and the progress has been hampered.

As I made scientific presentation of my initial findings, a vaccine-
autism connection became even more apparent. I compiled a
nonscientific, anecdotal survey of vaccine-injured children
with “autistic regression” or autistic disorder, as reported by
families. Surprisingly, up to 93% of the reported cases had autistic
symptoms shortly after vaccinations (52% post-MMR, 33% post-DPT, and 8%
post-MMR and/or post-DPT). The remaining 7% of the reported cases were
not linked to any vaccination at all. Indeed, if these numbers are
reproducible, the data will lead to inescapable conclusion that these
vaccines can potentially cause autoimmunity in autism. Quite candidly,
this will not be first time that a vaccine has been linked to a disease
or disorder. There is quite a bit of literature linking vaccines to
autoimmune diseases. Furthermore, an epidemiological study just
published in JAMA (March 8th issue) described “extraimmunization”
amongst American children and considered it to be a contributing factor
for the adverse effects of the vaccines. And I think the vaccines and
autism connection is no exception to these adverse effects.

In summary, the rapidly accumulating evidence strongly implicates
autoimmunity in autism, which in many may result from a vaccine injury.
There is a possibility of an atypical measles infection in autism, but
the evidence also suggests a MMR vaccine infection. Without any
reservation, I would strongly recommend that this Congressional
Committee reviews all the information in bipartisanship, and explore
the possibility that drug companies never properly evaluated the safety
of vaccines in the first place. If this indeed were true then it
becomes imperative that we as a society must pay an immediate attention
to this problem; otherwise, an epidemic of autism is a real good
possibility. There should be no mistaking about it because autism is on
a sharp rise and vaccinations, especially the extraimmunization, could
potentially explain this rise. The onset of autism (or autistic
regression) post-immunization should no longer be regarded as merely a
coincidence with the timing of the vaccinations, as our federal health
officials continue to do. We must find new ways to curve adverse
effects of vaccines, including autism. Considering a population of
500,000 cases of autism in the United States, the autoimmunity
research, but not the genetic research, has already had a great impact
on the health and welfare of autistic people. Since brain autoimmunity
is found in up to 85% of cases, it can potentially help an estimated
425,000 Americans. Indeed, many of them are already reaping the
benefits of the experimental autoimmune therapy. Thus there is an
urgent need to promote autoimmunity research in autism. This
recommendation is in contrast to the opinions held by the directors of
the federal agencies and major private foundations (Cure Autism Now and
National Alliance for Autism Research) who are erroneously committed
themselves to fund genetic research only. Finally, I urge the
Government Reform Committee to provide leadership for new solutions to
the existing problems surrounding autism research, and request the
Committee Members to be visionary and offer new hope to the people with
autism -- The essence of life is to care.

http://www.house.gov/reform/hearings/healthcare/00.06.04/singh.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

pin...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 12:05:59 PM12/8/00
In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Dear Dr. Singh,

As the parent of a child diagnosed with PDD-NOS (born 7/94), I couldn't agree
with you more. There is definitely a vaccine/autoimmune/autism connection. I
also feel there may be fetal developemental issues as well. I have
hypothyroidism (an autoimmune disease that increases a childs odds 9 fold for
autism, diagnosed 1996) and had intrahepatic cholestasis while I was
pregnant. I have 2 aunts with Lupis. Unfortunately my OB/GYN, didn't deliver
Joey until after 41 weeks gestation with the aide of prostaglandin gels and
pitocin (also an epidural, high dose before pushing). He had lots of variable
deceleration and lots of facial bruising particularly on the right temple,
ear head region.. He had projectile vomitting from day one but of course Hep
B vaccine from day one as well. He was also only 5 lb 14 oz. I feel the way
he was treated by this OB/GYN contributed to his condition. Do you know of
any link between Intrahepatic cholestasis and autism (if the pregnancy lasts
as long as mine while the child is under fetal distress). He has an average
I.Q. and is verbal. Also, do you know of anything I can do to help him (he is
also hyperlexic)? Any help would be appeciated. Thank you. Sincerely, Jo
lambert

goddess...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 12:10:21 PM12/8/00
In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
<snipped>

Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
Date: 12/03/2000
Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>

Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer locked
up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment it
is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen more,
thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.

--
Light, Love, & Laughter,
Kitten, Goddess of Mischief

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this." - Anonymous
"Just for today, do not worry; Just for today, do not anger; Earn your
living honestly; Honor your parents, teachers and elders; Show gratitude
for every living thing."- Dr. Mikao Usui

Mark Probert

Dec 8, 2000, 12:34:16 PM12/8/00
In article <90r4dh$p72$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
pin...@my-deja.com wrote:

There is no demonstrable link between autism and vaccination. It is
entirely possible that your medical history, coupled with the entire
birth process is the sole competent producing cause of your child's
autism.

My youngest son has cerebral palsy, and, we sought to blame everyone.
We got over that stupid waste of time, emotion and effort, and are
merely being his parents.

--
Mark Probert

Make sure your vote counts--DO NOT vote from the Banana Republic of
Florida!

goddess...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 12:45:29 PM12/8/00
In article <90r62o$qn0$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

<spaced to emphasize the following while leaving the above, pertinent
info>

> We got over that stupid waste of time, emotion and effort, and are
> merely being his parents.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And therein is the key. How can a child, *any* child, learn the life
skills they need if the parents of that child are constantly seeking to
blame others for the imperfections of life?

--
Light, Love, & Laughter,
Kitten, Goddess of Mischief

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this." - Anonymous
"Just for today, do not worry; Just for today, do not anger; Earn your
living honestly; Honor your parents, teachers and elders; Show gratitude
for every living thing."- Dr. Mikao Usui

cnha...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 1:38:14 PM12/8/00
In article <90r4ln$pbt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> Date: 12/03/2000
> Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
>
> Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer
locked
> up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment
it
> is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen more,
> thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.
>
> --

Add to that a widening of the criteria for diagnosing autism... many
kids who are now diagnosed as high functioning autistics were not
diagnosed with anything 30 years ago... but were considered weird,
difficult and high needs kids.

There is now a more definite understanding of the spectrum of autism.

My oldest son is not autistic, but has a severe speech motor
disability. I have been told if he had been born 20 years earlier he
may have been institutionalized because he would have automatically
been considered "mentally deficient", because "only idiots don't learn
how to talk".... this also applied to deaf kids... many of whom were
ALSO placed in institutions (until someone would finally realize the
kid couldn't hear!).

PF Riley

Dec 8, 2000, 11:19:41 PM12/8/00
On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:34:16 GMT, Mark Probert <mark...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>There is no demonstrable link between autism and vaccination. It is
>entirely possible that your medical history, coupled with the entire
>birth process is the sole competent producing cause of your child's
>autism.

It is also entirely possible that the medical history and birthing
process had nothing at all to do with the child's autism. Children
with completely unremarkable birth histories can become autistic, and
there are far, far more children than you would probably guess who are
born with facial bruising after induction, weigh less than 6 lbs, and
vomit the first few days of life who are perfectly healthy.

PF

Jeffrey Peter, M.D.

Dec 9, 2000, 9:43:07 AM12/9/00
In article <3a31b250....@news.nwlink.com>,

ANd kids who have horrible birth histories, like born way premature,
with congential infections, or major congenital malformations or CP do
not have autism.

Jeff utz
> PF

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 11:04:15 AM12/9/00
pin...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > Vijendra K. Singh, Ph.D.
> > Department of Biology & Biotechnology Center
> > Utah State University, UMC 4700
> > Logan, Utah 84322

SNIP

You might be able to contact Dr. Singh at the above address.

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 11:12:12 AM12/9/00
goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> Date: 12/03/2000
> Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
>
> Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer
locked
> up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment
it
> is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen more,
> thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.

And what scientic evidence do you rely on to make these claims?

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 11:39:46 AM12/9/00
In article <90r9ql$tsm$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

cnha...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90r4ln$pbt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> > Date: 12/03/2000
> > Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
> >
> > Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer
> locked
> > up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment
> it
> > is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen
more,
> > thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.
> >
> > --
>
> Add to that a widening of the criteria for diagnosing autism... many
> kids who are now diagnosed as high functioning autistics were not
> diagnosed with anything 30 years ago... but were considered weird,
> difficult and high needs kids.

The current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
has for years clearly defined the criteria required to make a diagnosis
of autism and other autistic spectrum disorders.
The argument that these increases are solely due to better detection is
not valid because standardized diagnostic criteria have remained
unchanged for years.
This very affected generation of children is unquestionably the most
vaccinated yet, and as a group, their parents have also certainly been
more extensively vaccinated than any previous parents’ group.
http://www.garynull.com/Documents/autism99b3.htm

> There is now a more definite understanding of the spectrum of autism.

And how has the current criteria used to diagnosis changed in the past
5,10,15, 20 yrs to make it easier to included the record numbers
turning up now?

> My oldest son is not autistic, but has a severe speech motor
> disability. I have been told if he had been born 20 years earlier he
> may have been institutionalized because he would have automatically
> been considered "mentally deficient", because "only idiots don't learn
> how to talk".... this also applied to deaf kids... many of whom were
> ALSO placed in institutions (until someone would finally realize the
> kid couldn't hear!).

Do you have some scientic evidence that would support your claim that
the increases in autism (if there really is an increase) is due in part
to this theory? (Fewer children institutionalized)

Mark Probert

Dec 9, 2000, 12:59:09 PM12/9/00
In article <90tn8h$mbo$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

While the standards may not have changed, with more people having
access to medical coverage, and, more notably, with I.D.E.A. mandating
that children who are not learning be more closely looked at, there is
bound to be an increase in diagnosis.

> This very affected generation of children is unquestionably the most
> vaccinated yet, and as a group, their parents have also certainly been
> more extensively vaccinated than any previous parents’ group.
> http://www.garynull.com/Documents/autism99b3.htm

Null is an idiot.

For more about him, www.quackwatch.com.

> > There is now a more definite understanding of the spectrum of
autism.

> And how has the current criteria used to diagnosis changed in the past
> 5,10,15, 20 yrs to make it easier to included the record numbers
> turning up now?

Take a look. You never believe anyone who points you at a fact.

--
Mark Probert

Make sure your vote counts--DO NOT vote from the Banana Republic of
Florida!

Mark Probert

Dec 9, 2000, 12:55:29 PM12/9/00
In article <3a31b250....@news.nwlink.com>,
pfr...@watt-not.com (PF Riley) wrote:

My youngest was 2 lbs 2 ozs, 11 weeks early. I saw plenty in the NICU
during the eight weeks he was there.

My point was 'shit happens'. Get over it. Focus to help your child.

Whining, moaning and groaning over causality does nothing to further
that end.

cnha...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 1:18:29 PM12/9/00
baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
...> And how has the current criteria used to diagnosis changed in the

past
> 5,10,15, 20 yrs to make it easier to included the record numbers
> turning up now?

Asperger's Syndrome, considered on the spectrum of autism, was added to
the DSM in 1994 according to http://www.autism-
society.org/packages/aspergers.html (note that some medical
professionals still do not consider Asperger's to be a form of autism).

This page (from the Autism Society of America) describes PDD,
http://www.autism-society.org/packages/pdd.html... and this page,
http://www.autism-society.org/society/syndrome.html, has descriptions,
and if you note the references are all less than 12 years old.

Also, you will note that historical diagnoses of autism (Kanner's type)
there is a HIGH percentage of mental retardation, but if you note from,
http://www.dds.cahwnet.gov/Autism/main/incidencrptfinal.pdf, the level
of IQ for autism intakes has RISEN.

Also remember that the first form of IDEA was passed in 1975. Before
then, many kids were institutionalized or denied education if they did
not fit the criteria for a "normal" kid (this included all the kids
damaged by diseases like measles, mumps and Congenital Rubella
Syndrome). Also, since that time, more parents and medical personnel
have been made aware of the disability and that with insurance denials
of therapy claims the schools have had to take care of those needs
(Temple Grandin was from a well-to-do family so she had speech therapy
when many MORE kids did not) --- hence the increase in the number of
cases actually being included in demographics.

The Diagnostic criteria has changed drastically over the years, and the
literature does change with time. Things do change with all the
research they do. Just think only a few years ago Bruno Bettelheim was
pushing the "refigerator mom".

During a time when I was checking out any book in the library on speech
disorders I came across a rather goofy book from the 1960's where they
were trying to prove that voice disorder (high voice for boys and low
voice for girls) was an indication of sexual mis-identity. When I told
my son's SLP... she laughed and told me to never bother with a medical
topic book less than 5 years old.

Mark Probert

Dec 9, 2000, 1:26:21 PM12/9/00
In article <90tt1h$qme$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Excellent documentation. Too bad BajaBOZO cannot possibly understand it.

--
Mark Probert

Make sure your vote counts--DO NOT vote from the Banana Republic of
Florida!

cnha...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 1:55:19 PM12/9/00
In article <90ttg8$qs9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Mark Probert <mtre...@aol.com> wrote:
...>

> Excellent documentation. Too bad BajaBOZO cannot possibly understand
it.

> --

And it only took me 15 minutes to find!

Mark Probert

Dec 9, 2000, 3:40:05 PM12/9/00
In article <90tv6l$s7f$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

cnha...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90ttg8$qs9$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Mark Probert <mtre...@aol.com> wrote:
> ...>
> > Excellent documentation. Too bad BajaBOZO cannot possibly understand
> it.
> >
> > --
>
> And it only took me 15 minutes to find!

No doubt. Hoqwever, BajaBOZO and s/h/it's ilk couldn't find it in a
m,illion years. Why? becuase it does not fit their warped view of
reality. Therefore, they will never look.

--
Mark Probert

Make sure your vote counts--DO NOT vote from the Banana Republic of
Florida!

cnha...@my-deja.com

Dec 9, 2000, 4:03:34 PM12/9/00

What is so funny about this comment by Bajabum (the "under bum"?):

> The current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
> has for years clearly defined the criteria required to make a
diagnosis
> of autism and other autistic spectrum disorders.
> The argument that these increases are solely due to better detection
is
> not valid because standardized diagnostic criteria have remained
> unchanged for years.

Is that the DSM IV is _ONLY 6 YEARS OLD_!

But even if it hasn't changed in the last SIX years... there is
continuing study into early diagnosis and treatment of autism. And in
my experience the best medical personnel I know actually keep up with
most recent developments in peer re-viewed journals (and not former
short order cooks with an advanced degree of questionable accredidation
who quotes studies consisting of only 22 data points!).

I just recently read of a study where researchers are looking into
video tapes of the 1st birthday of kids who have been diagnosed with
autism to see if there are any consistent behaviors to differentiate
them from typically developing kids.
http://depts.washington.edu/autism/Outlook/STY4mrkout.html

Perhaps an outcome of that and other studies will be included in the
next revision of dianostic criteria in DSM V or DSM VI.

Jeffrey Peter, M.D.

Dec 9, 2000, 4:46:41 PM12/9/00
In article <90tlkq$l49$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Actually, it is that they are better diagnosed. However, whether they
are instiutionalized or not, they still get put into the same
statistics.

Jeff Utz

D. C. Sessions

Dec 10, 2000, 12:00:42 AM12/10/00
goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> Date: 12/03/2000
> Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
>
> Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer locked
> up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment it
> is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen more,
> thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.

There are several known risk factors for autism. One of them is
parental age at conception. Which, IIRC, has been increasing ...

--
| Engineers solve problems -- it's what we do. |
| Do you want to be a problem? |

PF Riley

Dec 10, 2000, 12:55:07 AM12/10/00
On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 16:39:46 GMT, baj...@my-deja.com wrote:

>This very affected generation of children is unquestionably the most
>vaccinated yet, and as a group, their parents have also certainly been
>more extensively vaccinated than any previous parents’ group.

This very affected generation of children is unquestionably the most

exposed to television yet, and as a group, their parents have also
certainly watched more television than any previous parents' group.

Therefore, television causes autism!

CBI

Dec 10, 2000, 9:54:00 PM12/10/00
"PF Riley" <pfr...@watt-not.com> wrote in message

So watching the congressional hears on TV caused more cases than it
prevented.

--
CBI, MD

goddess...@my-deja.com

Dec 11, 2000, 10:32:06 AM12/11/00
In article <3A330DFA...@lumbercartel.com>,

"D. C. Sessions" <d...@lumbercartel.com> wrote:
> goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> > Date: 12/03/2000
> > Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
> >
> > Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer
locked
> > up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment
it
> > is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen
more,
> > thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.
>
> There are several known risk factors for autism. One of them is
> parental age at conception. Which, IIRC, has been increasing ...

As far as you know, has there been any tracking done on instances of
ADHD in the families of autistic children?

I wonder about this correlation because my autistic niece seems to have
the same traits as those of us in our family who are ADHD to some
degree, only hers are a more extreme degree of those traits.

Tim MacK!

Dec 12, 2000, 12:18:19 AM12/12/00
Get over it ! WOW, little late to post, but this has discussed me so much, I
had to say. MAYBE IT IS VACCINES, AND MAYBE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TWO
PEOPLE LOVING EACH OTHER. You are something, and I'm not allowed to say
what, but that must give you a clue. Lets all keep looking for the cause and
see what we find. The next child would appreciate us not quitting. We must
be close if the opposition make comments like this. Timfxd

Mark Probert

Dec 12, 2000, 12:43:13 AM12/12/00
In article <HmiZ5.5318$sZ4.4...@news.uswest.net>,

"Tim MacK!" <tim...@qwest.net> wrote:
> Get over it ! WOW, little late to post, but this has discussed me so
much, I
> had to say. MAYBE IT IS VACCINES, AND MAYBE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH
TWO
> PEOPLE LOVING EACH OTHER. You are something, and I'm not allowed to
say
> what, but that must give you a clue.

Listen, moron, get over it. Call me what you wish. It willstill mean
you are a moron.

Lets all keep looking for the cause and
> see what we find.

I didnot say anything different. The cause should be found.
However,that does not mean parents should walow in this pathetic form
of self pity.

The next child would appreciate us not quitting. We must
> be close if the opposition make comments like this.

Opposition to what? You are a moron.

Timfxd
> Mark Probert wrote in message <90trmf$phk$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >In article <3a31b250....@news.nwlink.com>,
> > pfr...@watt-not.com (PF Riley) wrote:

> >> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:34:16 GMT, Mark Probert <markprobe@my-

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 2000, 10:02:18 AM12/14/00
In article <91091f$d1l$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

Another intelligent fact filled statement from a member of our honored
medical establishment. Thanks for your gifted knowledge doc.

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 2000, 9:57:40 AM12/14/00
In article <90u6n3$1qv$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

cnha...@my-deja.com wrote:

> What is so funny about this comment by Bajabum (the "under bum"?):
>
> > The current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Fourth Edition (DSM
IV)
> > has for years clearly defined the criteria required to make a
> diagnosis
> > of autism and other autistic spectrum disorders.
> > The argument that these increases are solely due to better detection
> is
> > not valid because standardized diagnostic criteria have remained
> > unchanged for years.
>
> Is that the DSM IV is _ONLY 6 YEARS OLD_!

DSM I 1952
DSM II 1968
DSM III 1979
DSM IIIR 1987
DSM IV 1994

DSM has been used for many years. If you have evidence that proves the
recent increases in autism are due to changes in the DSM let's see it.

baj...@my-deja.com

Dec 14, 2000, 10:26:06 AM12/14/00
In article <90u981$3mp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Jeffrey Peter, M.D. <dr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <90tlkq$l49$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > In article <90r4ln$pbt$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > goddess...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > > baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > <snipped>
> > >
> > > Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> > > Date: 12/03/2000
> > > Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
> > >
> > > Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer
> > locked
> > > up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the
moment
> > it
> > > is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen
> more,
> > > thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher
rate.

> > And what scientic evidence do you rely on to make these claims?
> >

> Actually, it is that they are better diagnosed. However, whether they
> are instiutionalized or not, they still get put into the same
> statistics.

Better diagnosed? Got any real data to support your claims? We have
heard this time and time again but no one seems to have any evidence to
support this claim. What is the cause for the increases in autism,
better diagnosis or is it because we don't institutionalize?
Sorry but I just can't believe we just see these kids more today than
in the past and now we have better methods for diagnosing this disorder.

PF Riley

Dec 14, 2000, 11:59:39 AM12/14/00
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:02:18 GMT, baj...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <91091f$d1l$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
> "CBI" <c_ish...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> "PF Riley" <pfr...@watt-not.com> wrote in message

>most
>been
>> >
>> > This very affected generation of children is unquestionably the most
>> > exposed to television yet, and as a group, their parents have also
>> > certainly watched more television than any previous parents' group.
>> >
>> > Therefore, television causes autism!
>>
>> So watching the congressional hears on TV caused more cases than it
>> prevented.
>

>Another intelligent fact filled statement from a member of our honored
>medical establishment. Thanks for your gifted knowledge doc.

Apparently the irony escapes you.

CBI

Dec 14, 2000, 9:32:27 PM12/14/00
<baj...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:91andm$qrl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <91091f$d1l$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

> Another intelligent fact filled statement from a member of our honored
> medical establishment. Thanks for your gifted knowledge doc.

You know what they say, "garbage in, garbage out."

--
CBI, MD

CBI

Dec 14, 2000, 9:33:09 PM12/14/00

> Apparently the irony escapes you.

Just add it to the list.

--
CBI, MD

amp_sp...@my-deja.com

Dec 15, 2000, 5:15:48 AM12/15/00
In article <91aoq5$s21$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

When you use uptake numbers for social welfare programs as the measure
of population incidence, you run the risk of confounders such as
diagnostic criteria, public awareness, funding availability, treatment
changes, and a miraid of others.

Until you separate out these effects, the proposition that there is a)
an increased real incidence; 2) that the real incidence increase is
coincident with a specific event, and 3) that this event is causal in
the change in incidence cannot be supported.

The simple observation that more kids have been identified as autistic
and are being treated for their condition is not proof that the
condition in itself is more prevalent.

If you look at the DDS data and calculated percentage change over time
before and after the 1984 birth year, you could make an argument that
the post 1984 group had a slowing in the change in incidence. Not that
this is in any way shape or form proof of anything, it just adds an
interesting component to the mix of suppositions.

Or is it just easier to say that 7000 is more than 6000 and conclude
that MMR vaccination causes autism?

amp

amp

Mark Probert

Dec 15, 2000, 6:52:03 AM12/15/00
In article <91an51$qfk$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Nice list, BajaBOZO. Did you bother to read the diagnostic criteria in
each edition? Somehow, I do not think so.

--
Mark Probert

Make sure your vote counts--DO NOT vote from the Banana Republic of
Florida!

John

Dec 20, 2000, 4:08:31 PM12/20/00

<goddess...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <90dm65$24a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> baj...@my-deja.com wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> Subject: Autism-Why the Increased Rates?
> Date: 12/03/2000
> Author: bajabum <baj...@my-deja.com>
>

> Oh, that question is an easy one, baja. Autistics are no longer locked
> up in sanitariums or hidden away in other facilities from the moment it
> is discovered that they are different. Therefore, they are seen more,
> thus giving the impression that austism now occurs at a higher rate.

What a load of bollocks as Dr Rimland points out
http://www.whale.to/v/rimland.html

John

Jeffrey Peter, M.D.

Dec 20, 2000, 8:34:16 AM12/20/00
In article <91qaso$lu4$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>,

The only load of bollocks is the whaleto site. The author is so
ashamed, he does not put his name on it. He is obviously not trained in
formal thought nor does he have an understanding of medicine or
vaccination. I do not recommend this site.

Jeff