Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Exercise Drink: Carbs + Aminos = Anti-Catabolic

1 view
Skip to first unread message

JMW

unread,
Apr 28, 2006, 8:43:50 PM4/28/06
to
Before I start lifting, I mix a small bottle or can of carb drink with
about two ounces of whey protein powder and consume it during my first
half-dozen or so sets. It appears that recent research shows I have
been doing the right thing.

An Australian study shows that those who consumed Gatorade and an
essential amino acids supplement during resistance training showed an
11% DROP in cortisol levels (pre- to post-exercise), as opposed to the
placebo group that showed a 105% INCREASE in cortisol levels. The
CHO+EEA group also showed 27% DROP in muscle fiber protein degradation
(using urinary excretion of 3-methylhistidine as a marker), while the
placebo group showed a 56% INCREASE in muscle fiber protein
degradation.[1] Serious difference!

Naturally, I should note that some special EEA supplement is not
necessary; whey protein has been shown to yield an equivalent to that
of pure EAAs, perhaps extended over a longer period of time.[2,3]

Just thought I'd share that with you.
----
[1] Bird SP, Tarpenning KM, Marino FE. Liquid carbohydrate/essential
amino acid ingestion during a short-term bout of resistance exercise
suppresses myofibrillar protein degradation. Metabolism. 2006
May;55(5):570-7.
[2] Borsheim E, Aarsland A, Wolfe RR. Effect of an amino acid,
protein, and carbohydrate mixture on net muscle protein balance after
resistance exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2004
Jun;14(3):255-71.
[3] Tipton KD, Elliott TA, Cree MG, Wolf SE, Sanford AP, Wolfe RR.
Ingestion of casein and whey proteins result in muscle anabolism after
resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 Dec;36(12):2073-81.

t...@tbr.net

unread,
Apr 28, 2006, 9:55:47 PM4/28/06
to
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:43:50 -0400, JMW
<jmwil...@enforcergraphics.f2s.com> wrote:

>An Australian study
LOLOLOLOLOL

Pete

unread,
Apr 28, 2006, 10:21:46 PM4/28/06
to
"JMW" <jmwil...@enforcergraphics.f2s.com> schreef:

> Naturally, I should note that some special EEA supplement is not
> necessary; whey protein has been shown to yield an equivalent to that
> of pure EAAs, perhaps extended over a longer period of time.[2,3]
>
> Just thought I'd share that with you.

Interesting, very interesting.
Do you think that the effect is just as powerfull with people who take
anabolic steroids?
I consume a liter of fruitjuice (without protein) half an hour before a
workout.
During the workout itself, i do not consume anything.

----
Pete


JMW

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 12:10:00 AM4/29/06
to
"Pete" <phou...@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

As with most of the similar studies, the effect of carbs alone or
amino acids alone was not as great as the combination of the two. I
assume that the effect is the same with a higher androgen load.

spodosaurus

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 12:47:34 AM4/29/06
to

Hi,

Sounds great unless you work out hard, in which case you do not want
protein in your stomach during a workout (except for those that enjoy
doing the bovine cud regurgitation bit). Even before I became seriously
ill I could not eat within an hour of exercise, and if I drank too much
water during exercise that'd be a problem too. I'm assuming you've
downloaded that first reference, what quantities of amino acids and
carbohydrates were consumed, and with what volume of water?

Regards,

Ari

--
spammage trappage: remove the underscores to reply

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

JMW

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 2:37:55 AM4/29/06
to

Six grams of the EAA mix used in the UT studies, mixed with about 2/3
liter of Gatorade.

spodosaurus

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 3:31:50 AM4/29/06
to

That's not bad at all. I was assuming much much more than that.

J...@fauxlawyer.com

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 4:38:51 AM4/29/06
to
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:47:34 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:


>Sounds great unless you work out hard,

Like you do tugging your wee one?

>in which case you do not want
>protein in your stomach during a workout (except for those that enjoy
>doing the bovine cud regurgitation bit). Even before I became seriously
>ill I could not eat within an hour of exercise, and if I drank too much
>water during exercise that'd be a problem too. I'm assuming you've
>downloaded that first reference, what quantities of amino acids and
>carbohydrates were consumed, and with what volume of water?
>
>Regards,
>
>Ari

So when the fuck are you going to croak-off? We really are getting
sick of these empty promises from you.

voi...@inmyhead.com

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 4:39:39 AM4/29/06
to
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:31:50 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like.

But not soon enough for us!

JMW

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 11:53:54 AM4/29/06
to
spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

But keep in mind that you'll need one or two ounces of whey protein to
match those match those pure EAA values. Still, I use two ounces of
flavored whey protein powder with only 8-10 ounces of carb drink, and
it mixes fine, tastes good, and isn't too filling.

BTW, Lyle always whined that the results in the UT studies were after
an eight-hour fast. This study used only a four-hour fast, which is
more like the normal time between meals and less likely to result in a
significant decrease of baseline circulating amino acids.

Steve Freides

unread,
Apr 29, 2006, 11:06:30 PM4/29/06
to
"JMW" <jmwil...@enforcergraphics.f2s.com> wrote in message
news:dcd552p3hn6o9305p...@4ax.com...

> Before I start lifting, I mix a small bottle or can of carb drink with
> about two ounces of whey protein powder and consume it during my first
> half-dozen or so sets. It appears that recent research shows I have
> been doing the right thing.

Isn't this, at least approximately, the same basic 4:1 carb:protein
ratio that Endurox R4 and Endurox Accelerade use? They've been around
for several years and I thought they worked very well for me when I used
to do a lot of endurance work. I find now that I lift more and do very
little endurance work, I prefer more protein.

And, granted I'm no scientist at this stuff, but I would think there is
a time and a place when an increase in cortisol levels is OK, e.g., if
you're trying to lose weight and not gain it. It's not like the stuff
is poisin, is it? I'd be curious to know, e.g., what cortisol levels
are like in people who do multi-day fasts.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just playing devil's advocate in
the hope of learning some more on this subject.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

JMW

unread,
Apr 30, 2006, 12:07:20 AM4/30/06
to
"Steve Freides" <st...@fridayscomputer.com> wrote:

>"JMW" <jmwil...@enforcergraphics.f2s.com> wrote:
>> Before I start lifting, I mix a small bottle or can of carb drink with
>> about two ounces of whey protein powder and consume it during my first
>> half-dozen or so sets. It appears that recent research shows I have
>> been doing the right thing.
>
>Isn't this, at least approximately, the same basic 4:1 carb:protein
>ratio that Endurox R4 and Endurox Accelerade use? They've been around
>for several years and I thought they worked very well for me when I used
>to do a lot of endurance work. I find now that I lift more and do very
>little endurance work, I prefer more protein.

I deal in generic components and always have. I don't know anything
about "Endurox," and I've never had much interest in magical
proprietary blends. Some of those blends may actually be pretty good,
but even then, they're probably overpriced for what they are.

>And, granted I'm no scientist at this stuff, but I would think there is
>a time and a place when an increase in cortisol levels is OK, e.g., if
>you're trying to lose weight and not gain it. It's not like the stuff
>is poisin, is it? I'd be curious to know, e.g., what cortisol levels
>are like in people who do multi-day fasts.
>
>I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just playing devil's advocate in
>the hope of learning some more on this subject.

Cortisol isn't evil and it has important purposes. I'm just talking
about minimizing cortisol levels during resistance training, when one
experiences the most muscle protein breakdown. Muscle protein
accretion is a balance between muscle protein synthesis and muscle
protein breakdown. Minimizing myofibrillar protein degradation, when
set against protein synthesis, leads to a greater net gain.

JamesG

unread,
May 1, 2006, 9:25:23 AM5/1/06
to
JMW,
I appreciate the post. I didn't know about the study but I had come
up with a preworkout blend of gatorade, whey protein, banana, and
lecithin that has really been working for me. I also like to eat a
preworkout meal of oatmeal or pasta. I guess it is a person to person
thing about working out with food in the stomach; I really do a lot
better when I have eaten this type of meal. I fill up before
weightlifting or running, not stuffed but content.

Thanks,
James

T.the.Ma...@gmail.com

unread,
May 1, 2006, 10:09:34 AM5/1/06
to


I usually drink a pint of skim milk before lifting; old school. ;-)

JMW

unread,
May 1, 2006, 1:42:37 PM5/1/06
to

That'll work somewhat, too. Just don't forget that the simple sugars
and the resultant insulin response are an important component. You'll
get some carbohydrate from the lactose in the skim milk, although a
shortage of lactase in your system may make it less than favorable.

0 new messages