Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

Info (?) on Dave Rhodes

7 visningar

David C. Peterson

oläst,
6 apr. 1994 10:49:001994-04-06
till
I received the following via email from someone who doesn't have posting
capabilities to this group. I don't know whether it is true or false,
but (with my correspondent's permission) decided to post it for
whatever value it might have.

Dave Peterson

: You know those chain letter things that pop up on Usenet every so
: often? Thought you'd find this interesting:
:
: >To the USENET Community:
: >
: >You may be familiar with a rash of postings to various newsgroups
: >by various entities purporting to describe a scheme by Mr. David
: >Rhodes of Oxford, Kentucky on the subject of "Make Money Fast."
: >These schemes have as their theme a list of people to whom you,
: >the mark, should send money -- followed by reposting of the
: >article with your name added to the list. In this wise, the scam
: >purports, everyone who participates will become fabulously rich.
: >
: >The FBI wishes to inform you that under no circumstances should
: >you:
: >
: > 1) Believe that this scam will work. It won't. It's a
: > classic con principle to promise massive returns on
: > your meager investment.
: > 2) Participate in the re-posting of the article. If you do
: > so, you are guilty of a Class IV felony.
: > 3) Propagate this scam further in any way.
: >
: >We wish to further inform you that cases are pending in the
: >federal courts against several individuals who disregarded U.S.
: >statutes and attempted to defraud their fellow citizens.
: >
: >Finally, we wish to inform you that David Rhodes himself is in a
: >Federal Correctional Institution for his part in the origination
: >of this scam and will not see the light of day until the year
: >1997, barring parole or pardon from higher authority.
: >
: >Thank you for doing everything you can to stamp out this scam.
: >Confidence men benefit no one but themselves. Don't fall victim
: >to schemes like this.
: >
: >Sincerely,
: >
: >Melvin Purvis,
: >Federal Bureau of Investigation

Trivial FTP user

oläst,
6 apr. 1994 12:14:111994-04-06
till
David C. Peterson (d...@alpha.sunquest.com) wrote:
> : >Melvin Purvis,
> : >Federal Bureau of Investigation

While the information content may very possibly be correct, I'd want to
verify this with the FBI before I pass on as fact a third-hand report from
an anonymous source. Any idea what office Mr. Purvis works out of?

Gary

David C. Peterson

oläst,
6 apr. 1994 16:22:001994-04-06
till
In article <stephenc.4...@pcmail.cbil.vcu.edu>, step...@pcmail.cbil.vcu.edu (Chris Stephens) writes...

>>While the information content may very possibly be correct, I'd want to
>>verify this with the FBI before I pass on as fact a third-hand report from
>>an anonymous source. Any idea what office Mr. Purvis works out of?
>
>>Gary

To Gary: No, I don't know what (if any) office Mr. Purvis works out
of. And you raise a good point about verifying information before
posting it. While I did put in the disclaimer about not knowing its
truth value, the original message could get passed on without the
disclaimer. I'll remember that next time. Thanks.

>I've seen this post on other boards and it was billed an april fool's joke.
>

>Chris...

To Chris: This brings up an interesting question, namely: why would
someone post a warning about a (possible) scam as a joke? It doesn't
make sense to me.

I'll research this as far as I can, and will post whatever information
I find out.

Dave Peterson

Chris Stephens

oläst,
6 apr. 1994 09:25:241994-04-06
till

>While the information content may very possibly be correct, I'd want to
>verify this with the FBI before I pass on as fact a third-hand report from
>an anonymous source. Any idea what office Mr. Purvis works out of?

>Gary

M Flynn

oläst,
6 apr. 1994 19:41:281994-04-06
till
In article <6APR1994...@alpha.sunquest.com>, d...@alpha.sunquest.com
(David C. Peterson) wrote:

> >>While the information content may very possibly be correct, I'd want to
> >>verify this with the FBI before I pass on as fact a third-hand report from
> >>an anonymous source. Any idea what office Mr. Purvis works out of?
> >
> >>Gary
>
> To Gary: No, I don't know what (if any) office Mr. Purvis works out
> of. And you raise a good point about verifying information before
> posting it. While I did put in the disclaimer about not knowing its
> truth value, the original message could get passed on without the
> disclaimer. I'll remember that next time. Thanks.

First, the post was dated April 1, which should be the first clue that it
is less-than-legit. Secondly, if my memory serves me well, Melvin Purvis
was the FBI guy who made a quite famous bust on organized crime. (Capone?
Pretty Boy Floyd? somebody like that)

Although I agree that this post was well-intentioned, it also is not
authentic.

Finally, despite what you may read, the MAKE.MONEY.FAST post is indeed
illegal, and is a really stupid idea.

M. Flynn
Swarthmore College

Robert J. McIlree

oläst,
7 apr. 1994 11:20:551994-04-07
till

This has to be a hoax. Melvin Purvis was a contemporary of J. Edgar Hoover
in the 30's busting bad guys with the other G-Men. He died many years ago.

Bob McIlree
rm...@well.sf.ca.us

fr...@xlnt.zk3.dec.com

oläst,
7 apr. 1994 12:54:211994-04-07
till

Gary,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Bob.

P.S. Melvin Pervis was THE FAMOUS G-MAN responsible for bagging

Johnny Dillinger.

Melvin has LOOOONNNNNNG since left us.

Gary Fritz

oläst,
7 apr. 1994 13:42:571994-04-07
till
OK, OK, OK!! :-)

I have been repeatedly advised that Melvin Purvis is no longer with the FBI.
(I *thought* that name sounded familiar...) And I was expressing doubt
about the post, remember?

But even if the original spoof was perpetrated on April 1, may I point out
in my defense that the post *here* was dated April 6. So I plead innocent
of excessive and incurable Foolishness. :-)

Gary

VB

oläst,
7 apr. 1994 19:34:321994-04-07

step...@pcmail.cbil.vcu.edu (Chris Stephens) wrote:

>>While the information content may very possibly be correct, I'd want to
>>verify this with the FBI before I pass on as fact a third-hand report from
>>an anonymous source. Any idea what office Mr. Purvis works out of?

Check the FBI cemetery -- Melvin Puris was with the bureau in the 1930's. He
became quite a national hero with his exploits. He left after J. Edna Hoover
got jealous of his stardom. Hoover had never made an arrest until one was
staged shortly after Purvis left for the movies. It was Hoover's only -- the
prisoner yelled out insulting things about Hoover's sexuality and all the
Press that had been notified far in advance to cover the daring arrest had a
great time.

David C. Peterson

oläst,
8 apr. 1994 10:53:001994-04-08
till
In article <viktor.11...@192.100.81.105>, vik...@netcom.com (VB) writes...

Okay, Okay, Okay.... mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I posted the original message to this group. I also posted a
disclaimer saying that it was unverified. I received it third-hand
from a net-acquaintance (I suppose I should have been suspicious ;-)
with no posting date for the original. Silly me.... :-)

Anyway, if any feathers were ruffled, I apologize. I was just
attempting to forestall some of the MAKE.MONEY.FAST messages we see
every so often.

Dave

0 nya meddelanden