Google Summer of Code 2008?

lus

Feb 18, 2009, 7:04:43 AM2/18/09
to minix3
I would like to know about the project of last years Google Summer of
Code, I cannot find anything on Goodgle's pages.

lus.

Rafael Vargas

Feb 18, 2009, 7:15:13 AM2/18/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM, lus <twanny_a...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know about the project of last years Google Summer of
> Code, I cannot find anything on Goodgle's pages.

I don't know about other projects but it seems that most of them
failed (but one, http://code.google.com/soc/2008/minix/about.html ). I
was one of the two students chosen to develop a USB Stack for Minix
(as well as some drivers for mass storage, mice and other usb
devices). The two of us dropped out.

Best regards.

--
Rafael Vargas
http://rafavargas.com

Ben Gras

Feb 18, 2009, 9:54:21 AM2/18/09
to minix3
Hi Lus,

The projects we had last year were:
. A storage driver implementing software raid like functionality to
provide end-to-end data integrity (in the face of nonmalicious driver
bugs and hardware failure)
. An NDIS wrapper port (to run windows binary-only drivers as minix
driver processes)
. A partial USB stack port
. A port of Minix the ARM and PowerPC
. A minix based electronic voting machine

There isn't much other documentation about all of these I don't think.
The first project was successful. Minix is applying as an GSoC
mentoring organisation again this year. The new 'ideas page' is still
being put together.

=Ben

Arun Thomas

Feb 18, 2009, 10:16:36 AM2/18/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi lus,

You can find the 2008 GSoC page here: http://www.minix3.org/soc-2008.

As Ben said, the storage driver project was the most successful. The
ARM port and the voting machine projects are still being actively
developed by VU students. The NDIS project is being proposed again
this year. The USB project is not, however, as it may be too large
even for "a tenacious student who thinks sleeping is a waste of
valuable coding time."

Arun