Virtual Memory Minix 3.1.4

Iuri Andreazza

May 30, 2009, 3:27:08 PM5/30/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I'm looking the Minix source code (3.1.4 r4220) and trying to find where are the procedures that manages pages in the disk from vm server.

if someone can help me, in advance, thanks.

----
Att
Iuri Andreazza

Guanqun Lu

May 30, 2009, 11:34:08 PM5/30/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luri,

Your questions are kind of vague.
However, I suggest you have a look at servers/vm/i386/*, where there
are the low level details regarding the operation on x86 architecture.
--
Guanqun

Jens de Smit

Jun 3, 2009, 2:45:10 AM6/3/09
to minix3
On May 30, 9:27 pm, Iuri Andreazza <iuri.andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I'm looking the Minix source code (3.1.4 r4220) and trying to find
> where are the procedures that manages pages in the disk from vm server.

There are no pages on disk, because there is no swapping, only paged
virtual memory. Some sources confuse the two, unfortunately. Minix'
virtual memory is virtual in the sense that there is no static
relation between a process' adress space and the physical adress
space. There is (yet) no swapping to secondary storage involved to
create the illusion of having more physical memory than is actually
present.

Regards,

Jens

johnmic...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2009, 4:32:57 PM6/28/09
to minix3

On Jun 3, 2:45 am, Jens de Smit <jfds...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 30, 9:27 pm, Iuri Andreazza <iuri.andrea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm looking the Minix source code (3.1.4 r4220) and trying to find
> > where are the procedures that manages pages in the disk from vm server.
>
> There are no pages on disk, because there is no swapping, only pagedvirtualmemory. Some sources confuse the two, unfortunately. Minix'virtualmemoryisvirtualin the sense that there is no static
> relation between a process' adress space and the physical adress
> space. There is (yet) no swapping to secondary storage involved to
> create the illusion of having more physicalmemorythan is actually
> present.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jens

Are there plans to add paging capabilities to the Minix3 memory
manager? Would this be added to Minix3, or would it be more
appropriate for a later version?

Tomas Hruby

Jun 28, 2009, 5:05:56 PM6/28/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
Considering the vast amount of RAM and the speed of secondary storage,
paging does not have a high priority, however, any patch is always
welcome ;-)

Chauhan, Himanshu

Jun 30, 2009, 12:34:29 PM6/30/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
If Minix3 is being considered as an effort for embedded systems, I am wondering if its a right assumption.

-Himanshu

Tomas Hruby

Jun 30, 2009, 3:02:06 PM6/30/09
to min...@googlegroups.com
well, minix currently runs on x86. In this world the assumption is
certainly reasonable.

Does paging has meaning in embeded world? If you have device with no
secondary storage it is certainly not an option. Do the emdedded
applications use more memory than available? Imagine that your cell
phone starts swapping during a phone call ;-) Also not all embedded
devicec have too small amount of memory.

This does not mean that we wouldn't like to se such a feature in
Minix!

T.

> -Himanshu

Bianco Zandbergen

Jun 30, 2009, 5:18:05 PM6/30/09
to minix3
You mean swapping capabilities here. As Jens stated some people
confuse swapping with virtual memory ;-)

On Jun 28, 10:32 pm, "johnmichaell...@gmail.com"