The Bell Inn, Fradley, Staffordshire

dickin...@trident78976who.plus.com

Dec 1, 2009, 3:02:51 PM12/1/09
to Midlands Pubs
One of my ancestors used to be the publican at the Bell Inn in
Fradley ~ I am not sure whether it was classed as a pub or a
beehouse.
The Bell Inn used to be run by Thomas Fisher & his wife Mary Fisher.
Thomas Fisher died leaving Mary a widow & my ancestor, Thomas Jones,
who was a farmer in Fradley married Mary. Thomas's brother John
continued to run the family farm whilst Thomas Jones moved into the
pub and became a working part of the family team in the running of the
pub.
I believe that Thomas & Mary married in 1909 and remained at the pub
for some years. In the 1940's the running of the Bell Inn passed on to
Thomas S Fisher, Mary's son.
I have been unable to find out any information about the Bell Inn in
Fradley so if anyone knows of it I would be most grateful for any help
please. I would especially like to see a picture of it if at all
possible.
There is another pub in the nearby village of Whittington by the same
name ~ there were definitely two pubs by the same name & it is the
Fradley pub in which I am interested.

With many thanks,
Jan.

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Dec 1, 2009, 7:43:58 PM12/1/09
to Midlands Pubs
There certainly was a Bell Inn at Fradley. Not far from the Bull's
Head Inn. I regret to inform that I have not conducted any research in
this area. However, the A38 is a road I often venture along so I will
endeavour to stop and have a look around to see what's left of the old
settlement. I fear that much will have been lost.
Kind regards
Kieron

On 1 Dec, 20:02, "dickinson...@trident78976who.plus.com"

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Dec 1, 2009, 8:49:42 PM12/1/09
to Midlands Pubs
I see that Kelly's trade directory for 1896 records Thomas Sommers as
a beer retailer at Fradley. This was indeed the Bell Inn as he and his
wife Emma were there in the census of 1891. Not that much help to you
but at least narrows the dates down a bit as to when they took over
the running of the pub. The beer retailer reference confirms that it
was a beer house. Fully licensed public houses tend to be listed by
their sign in trade directories whereas the names of beer houses are
almost always omitted. Not that this is such a bad thing - there's
many an old beer house that has survived to be a marvellous 21st
century pub. Anyway, in 1891 your ancestor and her first husband
Thomas were living in Burton-on-Trent in 1891. They resided at No.35
Napier Street from where Thomas worked as a general labourer. Their
daughter Mary Ellen was born three years earlier in Burton so the
couple had seemingly been there for a few years before the census of
1891. I suspect that the Ellen name comes from Thomas's mother. Both
she and her husband Thomas [Thomas's parents] kept the Bell Inn in the
early 1860's. Young Thomas was recorded at the pub in the census of
1861 aged 3. Go back even further and you find Thomas's grandmother
Mary Fisher at the Bell Inn. The census records her as a licensed
victualler but this is probably an error on the part of the enumerator
as a trade directory lists her as a beer house keeper at a location
called 'Bridge'. So, as you can see, the Fisher's have a long line in
pubs! Hope this is of help.
Kind regards
Kieron

On 2 Dec, 00:43, "www.midlandspubs.co.uk" <kie...@midlandspubs.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Jan.- Hide quoted text -

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Dec 1, 2009, 9:02:32 PM12/1/09
to Midlands Pubs
Further to my last message... I have the location of the house as the
bridge taking the A38 over the canal to the west of Dunstall is marked
on a map as Bell Bridge, though on older maps it was known as Limekiln
Bridge. You can view a satellite image of the location at:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=fradley&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fradley,+Lichfield,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ei=X8oVS9j3CI2I4QaqlKnRBg&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA&ll=52.711245,-1.765875&spn=0.002203,0.003996&t=h&z=18
Kind regards
Kieron

On 2 Dec, 01:49, "www.midlandspubs.co.uk" <kie...@midlandspubs.co.uk>

John Dickinson

Dec 2, 2009, 2:26:23 AM12/2/09
to midlan...@googlegroups.com
Wow, Kieron, what a wonderful font of knowledge you are!
Thank you so much for your very kind help & the info is very much
appreciated.

Jan.

7:59 AM