Font Folder

comsum

Jan 23, 2001, 7:10:57 PM1/23/01
When I click on a font (ttf type) in my Fonts folder I get a message which
says "The requested file was not a valid font file". This happens on every
font file. I installed FontNav from Corel and I'm able to view the fonts.
In the File Types, ttf is registered to fontview.exe. Any ideas? I have
TweakUI and did a font repair but that didn't help.
Comsum

Char@cter

Jan 26, 2001, 10:04:21 PM1/26/01
Try deleting the hidden file \WINDOWS\ttfcache and restarting.
The file can occasionally become corrupted; windows will rebuild
it with no problem.

comsum

Jan 27, 2001, 1:10:05 PM1/27/01
Thanks for the response... removed ttfcache and restarted.... same
problem.... get error message... xxxx.ttf was not a valid font file
Any other possibilities?
Comsum

"Char@cter" <Ch...@cter.org> wrote in message

Thomas Ferguson

Jan 27, 2001, 3:01:10 PM1/27/01
How many fonts are installed?
--

Tom
MSMVP PS-D

"comsum" <com...@attglobal.net> wrote in message
: Thanks for the response... removed ttfcache and restarted.... same

:
:

comsum

Jan 27, 2001, 9:22:47 PM1/27/01
458 fonts installed.
Comsum

"Thomas Ferguson" <to...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Thomas Ferguson

Jan 27, 2001, 10:04:46 PM1/27/01
OK. Thanks for the information. Make ,sure your font files (*.ttf) are
backed up so you can install needed/wanted ones later. Remove all fonts
except for the core set. (Do not delete Arial, Courier New, Times New
Roman, Marlett, Symbol, Wingdings, Tahoma (if Office is installed), any
fonts used by your Word or other templates, and fonts used by Equation
editor.) Delete ttfcache (see *).

Quit Windows. Shut down and restart the system.

If this solved the problem, reinstall any needed fonts. I recommend you
install in small groups so that is one or more cause problems you will
have a good idea about which to remove.

[*
Open a DOS window and type-
cd c:\windows
attrib -h ttfcache
del ttfcache

attrib +s fonts
]

If this does not solve the problem, there are further steps to take do
let us know.
--

Tom
MSMVP PS-D
Please make any reply to the news group
so all might benefit. The e-mail address
is valid; however, I do not have the
time sometimes to make individual replies.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"comsum" <com...@attglobal.net> wrote in message

: 458 fonts installed.

: > :
: >
: >
:
:

comsum

Jan 27, 2001, 10:47:48 PM1/27/01
Tried the suggestion but it didn't solve the problem.
Comsum

"Thomas Ferguson" <to...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Thomas Ferguson

Jan 28, 2001, 12:17:39 AM1/28/01
OK.

Back up system.dat and user.dat. Start the registry editor by typing
regedit.exe in the Start Run slot. Navigate to
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fonts
by clicking on each + in turn. Highlight every entry in the right pane
except the first
(default) (value not set)

Delete them all.

Exit Regedit and close the window. Delete ttfcache again. Shut Windows
down and restart.

As Windows restarts, ttfcache will be rewritten based on the fonts in
c:\windows\fonts. The registry entry will be rewritten to system.dat.

You could also delete desktop.ini from c:\windows\fonts and replace it
with a fresh copy from the Windows CD or from a working Windows machine.

This _usually_ solves the problem.

Let us know.
--

Tom
MSMVP PS-D

: Tried the suggestion but it didn't solve the problem.

: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

comsum

Jan 28, 2001, 7:38:54 PM1/28/01
Did everything suggested... still getting the same error message. Thanks
again for your involvement.
Comsum

"Thomas Ferguson" <to...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Thomas Ferguson

Jan 28, 2001, 10:26:29 PM1/28/01
OK. Now I'm really puzzled.

What happens if you double click on the font file name with the left
mouse button?
Tom

: Did everything suggested... still getting the same error message.

: > : > :
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

comsum

Jan 30, 2001, 10:55:43 PM1/30/01
When I double click on the font name I get a message box with Font View
Application in the program bar and in its window is the message (preceded by
a yellow exclamation mark)
The requested file "C\WINDOWS\Fonts\Adve.TTF" was not a valid font file.
I get this same message for every one of the 457 installed fonts. However,
if I go to a program or to Corel's Font viewer it shows me the font
properties.

Thomas Ferguson