inverted circumflex

Gord Dibben

Jun 22, 2004, 8:02:50 PM6/22/04
A circumflex over a letter looks like a pointy roof.

e.g. Â (alt + 0194)

What is the name of the inverted circumflex that looks like a "v"

e.g Ž (alt + 0142)

Thanks, Gord

Jezebel

Jun 22, 2004, 8:16:04 PM6/22/04
A hacek or hácek ("?", pronounced HUH-check), also known as a caron, is a
diacritic placed over certain letters to indicate palatalization or jotation
in the orthography of some Slavic and Baltic languages.
The word hacek means "little hook" in Czech. It looks like an inverted
circumflex (^).

> A circumflex over a letter looks like a pointy roof.
>
> e.g. Â (alt + 0194)
>
> What is the name of the inverted circumflex that looks like a "v"
>

> e.g Z (alt + 0142)
>
> Thanks, Gord

garfield-n-odie

Jun 22, 2004, 8:22:34 PM6/22/04
I'd call it an upside down circumflex. But you could call it a hacek or
caron.

Thomas Ferguson

Jun 22, 2004, 8:28:56 PM6/22/04
Caron, possibly.

In word, open Insert Symbol. Navigate to combining diacritical marks/

Might be useful:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0300.pdf

Tom
MSMVP-DTS

>A circumflex over a letter looks like a pointy roof.
>
> e.g. Â (alt + 0194)
>
> What is the name of the inverted circumflex that looks like a "v"
>

> e.g Z (alt + 0142)
>
> Thanks, Gord

Jay Freedman

Jun 22, 2004, 9:00:44 PM6/22/04
Hi Gord,

It's called a hacek or a caron. See www.fact-index.com/h/ha/hacek.html

Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Gord Dibben