"Install new font" missing from File menu in Win XP Home

Geoff

Jul 11, 2006, 11:21:58 PM7/11/06
Is there a fix for this? I used to be able to add fonts, but now the
file menu is just the generic list - no way to add fonts.

garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Jul 11, 2006, 11:27:45 PM7/11/06
Do you have a question about Microsoft Word?

Geoff

Jul 11, 2006, 11:36:17 PM7/11/06

No, about trouble installing fonts in XP. Is this he wrong NG?

Character

Jul 11, 2006, 11:39:28 PM7/11/06
Geoff wrote:
> Is there a fix for this? I used to be able to add fonts, but now the
> file menu is just the generic list - no way to add fonts.

Download, install, and run Microsofts' free TweakUI. Run the "repair
font folder". (the last item on the list is "Repair"; select "repair
font folder" from the drop-down menu).

The cause is usally that the Fonts folder has been diddled with and
has lost its "System File" attribute.

- Character

Geoff

Jul 11, 2006, 11:39:57 PM7/11/06

Thanks, I'll try it.

Character

Jul 11, 2006, 11:49:21 PM7/11/06
garfield-n-odie [MVP] wrote:

> Do you have a question about Microsoft Word?

This is the only current font-related Microsoft forum; it's probably
more attuned to questions like this than the more general operating
system fora.

- Character

Alan Edwards

Jul 12, 2006, 1:39:37 AM7/12/06
Fonts folder has lost its system properties.
This will be obvious if viewing the fonts folder. You will not have
the names and the "Install new font" option under file.
If so:
Check the protection in Properties on folder c:\windows\fonts
If it is not shown with a check in System, then you cannot install
new fonts. It should also be protected, so you may not be able to
alter from Explorer.
In DOS mode, (or from Start-Run) use the command
attrib +s c:\windows\fonts
Reboot and all should be OK

or...
Use TweakUI
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm

The system attribute is normally the problem and the DOS fix is the
solution in the majority of the last few hundred responses I have made
to similar problems. The Fonts folder will not function as a special
folder without the system attribute. The other common problem is that
the hidden desktop.ini is missing or corrupt and TweakUI will fix
that.
There is a third problem mentioned here but, in my experience, this
one is uncommon.
(Fontext.dll file may be missing or damaged)

Missing Menu Commands in the Fonts Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q133/7/25.asp

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows -Internet Explorer

...Alan
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Geoff

Jul 12, 2006, 2:07:42 AM7/12/06