Double file size with Word 2003

Stuart K

Mar 24, 2004, 1:43:21 PM3/24/04
Hi everyone,

I have found that if I open a Word document I previously
created in Word 2000 and then save it again with no other
changes the file size increases dramatically (virtually
doubles). Any ideas why?

Some things that ARE NOT happening:
1) I don't think it is anything to do with smart tags as
I've turned these options off and asked the document not
to embed smart tags when saved
2) Track changes isn't on..I think this can increase the
file size
3) No versions are being saved or anything like that

My best guess is there some save option such as 'make a
backup copy' or 'make a recovery copy' that is adding data
that is increasing the file size. But, I don't know!

Again, any help from a passing guru much appreciated.

I think I'm already close to having to buy Suzanne some
kind of present...

Cheers,
Stu

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Mar 24, 2004, 6:06:36 PM3/24/04
Well, here's my boilerplate on file bloat, but it sounds as if you've
already checked out the most likely culprits:

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Picture: Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on.
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.

7. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stuart K" <stu_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stuart K

Mar 25, 2004, 5:10:00 AM3/25/04
Hi Suzanne,

Very helpful as always, thanks. Just 2 quick follow up
questions regarding point 4 (i.e. Track Changes).

1) If I open a document that has Track Changes information
from Word 2000 and then just save it again (with no
further changes) would you expect the file size to
increase? I.e. does Word 2003 require a larger file size
for the same Track Changes information?

2) I didn't follow your directions for point 4 very well.
If you go to Tools > Track Changes this just turns track
changes on (and makes the review toolbar appear). On the
toolbar, where can I find the option to make sure the
highlight changes on screen is turned on? At the moment I
think you just do this via the SHOW menu on the toolbar
making sure all reviewers are ticked and that all changes
information is ticked....is this right or am I missing
something?

As usual, many, many thanks
Stu

>.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Mar 25, 2004, 10:53:20 AM3/25/04
Saving any Word 2000 document in Word 2003 will probably result in a larger
file. Every successive version of Word creates larger files because more
"stuff" is included. You can disable some of the "stuff" (such as Smart
Tags).

In Word 2002/2003, change tracking is turned on and off in the usual way
(from the Tools menu or by double-clicking TRK on the status bar). When the
Reviewing toolbar is displayed, you have a choice of four views, two with
and two without "markup." This can be deceptive, because hiding markup
doesn't turn Track Changes off, and neither turning Track Changes off nor
hiding the markup removes the tracking. You must turn Track Changes off
*and* Accept All Changes in Document in order to remove all traces of
previous versions.