RE: Word 2007 Send as Email greyed out

Richard

Mar 15, 2007, 5:19:15 AM3/15/07
I have the exact same problem, OS is XPHE.

"Ben Coyle" wrote:

> Hi
> I have just bought MS Office 2007 Home and Student edition. When I try to
> send a document as an email attachment in Word (or any other Office program
> for that matter) all the email options are greyed out, with no explanation
> as to why I can't send. Sending from Wordpad works fine.
> My default mail client is Windows Mail. I am running Vista Home Premium OS.
> Is this problem occuring because I am not using Outlook? Or is there some
> other issue?
> THanks

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Mar 16, 2007, 8:25:00 PM3/16/07
Here is some information posted by Peter Jamieson. It may not be applicable
to your operating system and mail program, for which it might be better to
ask your question in the microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail newsgroup, to
which I have cross-posted this response.

First, make sure that the e-mail program you want to use is set up to be the
default e-mail program (e.g. via Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet
Options|Programs, and send at least one message using it.

Then Word needs some stuff in WIN.INI and/or in the Windows registry
before it will show you the E-mail option. I believe that for Word 2003 it
needs to be in the Windows registry, but that may depend also on the version
of Windows so it is probably better to put the information in both places.

For WIN.INI,
a. find the WIN.INI file in your Windows folder (typically c:\WINDOWS),
make a backup copy of it, and open it in Notepad.
b. ensure that the following text is in there, and add it if not

[Mail]
MAPI=1
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll
CMC=1
MAPIX=1
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1
OLEMessaging=1

You will need to close all copies of Word before this change has a chance of
taking effect. It is probably safest to restart Windows to be completely
sure.

If that isn't enough, you will need to edit the registry. Proceed with
caution!

c. In your Windows folder, locate and run regedit.exe. If you're on an
older version of Windows you might need to use regedt32.exe.

Look for a key called

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

I would be surprised if it was not there in recent versions of Windows, but
if it is not, add it.

If it is there, I would expect to see
d. a subkey claled MSMapiApps
e. a number of "values" with the same names as are in the above list -
MAPI, MAPIX etc.
f. an additional value called InstallCmd

If you cannot see the (e) values, you need to add them. For each of the
values in the above list
g. right click "Windows Messaging Subsystem" and select New|String Value.
Note that although some of these items have numeric values, they should all
be entered as String Values.
h. enter the name, as above
i. double click on the name. A dialog box appears. Enter the value (e.g.
for the name CMCDLLNAME, enter mapi.dll) and click OK
j. You may also need to create the InstallCmd value, although I rather
doubt it. I am less sure about this and about what should go in there. On my
system, the value is:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection MSMAIL 132 msmail.inf

When you have done them all, press F5. Then close all copies of Word and
restart it - or restart Windows, then restart Word and see if the e-mail
option has appeared.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ben Coyle" <frenz_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

B@communities.nospam Walter Blanchard

Mar 17, 2007, 10:13:46 AM3/17/07
Not allowed to save edited win.ini with Vista.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <d...@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message

Keen@discussions.microsoft.com Bob Keen

Apr 25, 2007, 1:00:02 AM4/25/07
Solved problem of greyed out send email by downloading from the Microsoft
website the 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Save as PDF or XPS. This added
these features and opened the greyed out Sending email.
Now my problem is that no one can open these .docx files unless they have
Office 2007 or downloaded the Microsoft converter for the 2007 programs!

DNMotion

May 11, 2007, 12:06:03 AM5/11/07

DNMotion

May 11, 2007, 12:14:01 AM5/11/07
I talked to microsoft last night and boy was I furious and livid. I just
purchased a Sony VAIO and this problem occurred. I have tried to correct the
problem on my own. First of all I had to go through Customer Service in
order to get Technical Support and they wanted $59, as I explained to them
that I have just purchased this computer and totally frustrated because
sometime I work at home and need to email my product to work. Yes, I can
save the file on within Vista to email but that should happen because
Microsoft is communicating with their own problems. It was explained to me
that Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 is missing to two files that
would eleviate our problems. I explained that they need to supply us with a
patch. They also gave me the alternative to by downloading the add-ins which
also didn't for me. WE NEED A PATCH, NOT BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR SOMETHING
THAT MICROSOFT DID NOT FORSEE. I AM NOT PURCHASING OUTLOOK AS SUGGESTED
BECAUSE AS FAR AS MY HOME COMPUTER IS CONCERNED I'VE NEVER HAD THE PROBLEM
BEFORE. I INSTRUCTED MICROSOFT NOT TO CLOSE MY TICKET UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS
RESOLVED. I AM LIVID.

Msra...@aol.com

May 24, 2007, 10:11:01 PM5/24/07
Has anyone gotten a resolution for Microsoft for this issue? I'm at the
same problem and cannot get a satisfactory correction.

Please let me know if you've got a solution.

Thanks

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

May 24, 2007, 11:55:03 PM5/24/07
Have you checked/done the other things suggested in this thread by myself
and Bob Keen. What version of Word do you have? what email program are you
using. If you want anyone to who you send a document to be able to open it,
you should save if first in Word 97-2003 format, rather than as docx

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

<Msra...@aol.com> wrote in message

Msra...@aol.com

May 28, 2007, 8:22:30 PM5/28/07
I'm using Word 2007 that's part of Home and Student Office 2007 and I'm
using Winmail that's part of my Vista Premium operating system. I've
already sent my default save as to Word 97-2003 format. I really don't want
to buy Outlook 2007 just to get this function operational and don't feel I
should have to since I'm already using two of the most up to date Microsoft
products!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

May 28, 2007, 11:31:26 PM5/28/07
See the following Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918792

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

<Msra...@aol.com> wrote in message

DNMotion

May 29, 2007, 2:42:01 PM5/29/07
IT WORKED!

DNMotion

May 29, 2007, 2:55:01 PM5/29/07
For my programs I had to add all of the files located in KB Article for it to
work! On to the next problem.

Msra...@aol.com

May 29, 2007, 9:03:02 PM5/29/07
It worked here to. I had to add all the words in the article. Thanks for
the help!

madmist78

Jun 21, 2007, 10:33:00 AM6/21/07
Havin the same problem, attempting to use a Groupwise 6.5 client. Have read
all previous fixes, regedit, and win.ini have been updated, and Groupwise is
properly setup as default mail client.

I have reinstalled Groupwise just in case to no avail.

Any ideas?

-G

Art

Jul 31, 2007, 12:00:02 AM7/31/07
I am having the same problem. Outlook 2003 is my default mail program
(check), I looked in the Registry and all values are present (check), I added
the PDF and XPS attachments. I added "Send to mail recipient" to the Quick
Task bar where it remains "gray."

I got all that info from the Help section on Word 2007. Their last
alternative is to send the document as an attachment which seems to me to
defeat the purpose and is not a viable workaround for my project (an email
Newsletter).

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jul 31, 2007, 1:49:44 AM7/31/07
I think that the issue may be one of Compatability between Word 2007 and
Outlook 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Art" <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Art

Aug 1, 2007, 12:20:06 AM8/1/07
Compatability may well be a problem, I know I can not use word as my email
editor but from reading other posts here I get the feeling that MS has
disabled the "Send to Email recipient" function in the 2007 Home and Student
program. The rational seems to be that that function is a "commercial"
function. I disagree with that logic because a lot of people just wont open
ANY email attachments so the need to send a document as an email is fully
justified, IMHO, for use in the Home & Student version. I hope that someone
can get through to MS and that they will activate the function in the H & S
version. (Well I can dream can't I? <grin>)

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Aug 1, 2007, 1:43:09 AM8/1/07
If you set Outlook Express as the default mail program, you should then be
able to use it for the purpose.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Art" <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Julian

Aug 1, 2007, 1:51:35 AM8/1/07

> If you set Outlook Express as the default mail program, you should then be
> able to use it for the purpose.

Outlook Express on Vista?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Aug 1, 2007, 2:12:03 AM8/1/07
I don't see where Vista was mentioned anywhere in the posts to which I was
responding.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Julian" <Julia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Julian

Aug 1, 2007, 2:46:57 AM8/1/07

>I don't see where Vista was mentioned anywhere in the posts to which I was
>responding.

The OP is running Vista and this is a Vista Forum.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 1, 2007, 3:05:44 AM8/1/07
Try this:
Run your 2007 Home and Student edition CD and choose the option
to add specific components. Although there is no option to install Outlook,
you should have an option to install MAPI handlers. The MAPI handler
needs to be present before Word can "send to Email recipient".

Gary VanderMolen

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Aug 1, 2007, 4:53:50 AM8/1/07
Not where I am seeing it - microsoft.public.word.mail

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Julian" <Julia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Aug 1, 2007, 7:54:45 AM8/1/07
...and make sure that Windows Mail is set as the default mail program
(assuming the user doesn't have some other MAPI mail client installed).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Peter Jamieson

Aug 1, 2007, 2:33:24 PM8/1/07
There are so many diferent possible configurations in this area...

> Run your 2007 Home and Student edition CD and choose the option
> to add specific components. Although there is no option to install
> Outlook,
> you should have an option to install MAPI handlers. The MAPI handler
> needs to be present before Word can "send to Email recipient".

FWIW,
a. when I run the Home and Student CD and/or when I used the Control
Panel|"Programs and features" options to do the same thing, I saw no MAPI
option of any kind. If it's there in your version, can you provide really
specific pointers?
b. I would expect the necessary MAPI stuff to be installed with Outlook
2003, if anything. Here, I installed OL2003 first, then Office Home and
Student 2007. I can certainly use Word|Office button|Send|E-mail|As an
attachment (and I didn't really expect to be able to do that, given that
previous versions of Word/Outlook generally had to be the same to achieve
that kind of interoperability). However, here, I happen to be working with
Microsoft Exchange Server and that might also have a bearing on the
issue(s).

Peter Jamieson

red

Aug 9, 2007, 2:06:04 PM8/9/07

red

Aug 9, 2007, 2:08:01 PM8/9/07

red

Aug 9, 2007, 2:26:02 PM8/9/07

Bill Heston

Oct 12, 2007, 5:38:30 PM10/12/07
Ben did you ever get a response? I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate and
MS Office 2007 Home and Student edition and have the same problem. Is there
a way to set up Word so we can send a ducument within Word 2007 using our MS
Mail?

Thanks,

Bill
bh...@comcast.net

Brian Gladman

Oct 25, 2007, 4:02:23 PM10/25/07
madmist78 wrote:
> Havin the same problem, attempting to use a Groupwise 6.5 client. Have read
> all previous fixes, regedit, and win.ini have been updated, and Groupwise is
> properly setup as default mail client.
>
> I have reinstalled Groupwise just in case to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you using Vista Ultimate x64?

None of this worked for me either. But I then discovered that on the x64
version of Vista the relevant registry keys are in a different place:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem

Brian Gladman

David Burrows

Sep 18, 2008, 12:32:09 PM9/18/08
Thank you for the link to the knowledgebase article. The registry edit in
Method 2 did the trick. We will push the modified registry key to our users.

gerardo

Nov 27, 2008, 10:20:43 AM11/27/08
garsias
"David Burrows" <DavidB...@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:3693BF1B-9C2D-4CF4...@microsoft.com...

T. Horn

Dec 19, 2008, 2:23:01 PM12/19/08

"Richard" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem, OS is XPHE.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted