Headings in the Header

Jim Millard

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Although I don't have any difficulty getting the STYLEREF field to
show the text of headings (and the heading number) at any level, I'm
looking for a way to show continuing sections of the document, without
putting lots of section breaks in the thing.

eg:

new page has the following header, based on the previous page's
contents and what follows the header:

II. Section Two Header Text (Cont'd)
D. Item Four Text (Cont'd)

(item 4 text continues here)

Is there any way to make this happen????

*PLEASE EMAIL IN ADDITION TO POSTING HERE!!!*
--
Jim Millard
Information Systems

John Nurick

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:33:41 GMT, jmil...@stratco.com (Jim
Millard) wrote:

>Although I don't have any difficulty getting the STYLEREF field to
>show the text of headings (and the heading number) at any level, I'm
>looking for a way to show continuing sections of the document, without
>putting lots of section breaks in the thing.

>eg:

>new page has the following header, based on the previous page's
>contents and what follows the header:

>II. Section Two Header Text (Cont'd)
> D. Item Four Text (Cont'd)

>(item 4 text continues here)

>Is there any way to make this happen????

>*PLEASE EMAIL IN ADDITION TO POSTING HERE!!!*

You can do it with complicated {IF} fields something like

{ IF "{Styleref "Heading 2" \n}"="I" "Section One Header
Text"}{If "{Styleref "Heading 2" \n}"="II" "Section Two Header
Text"}...
{ IF "{Styleref "Heading 3" \n}"="I.A" "Item I.A Header
Text"}{If "{Styleref "Heading 3" \n}"="I.B" "Item I.B Header
Text"}...

but frankly it seems easier to use section breaks!

John
To e-mail me, drop clanger from address.

Jim Millard

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
John,

> You can do it with complicated {IF} fields something like
>
> { IF "{Styleref "Heading 2" \n}"="I" "Section One Header Text"}{If
> "{Styleref "Heading 2" \n}"="II" "Section Two Header Text"}...
> { IF "{Styleref "Heading 3" \n}"="I.A" "Item I.A Header Text"}{If
> "{Styleref "Heading 3" \n}"="I.B" "Item I.B Header Text"}...
>
> but frankly it seems easier to use section breaks!

Thanks for the input, but what you're suggesting in the {IF...} is
accomplished by the {STYLEREF "Heading 1"} field, without the "\n"
switch. The problem isn't the ability to ADD the text, it's the
problem of adding the text from the correct section. And
unfortunately, even using section breaks is inconsistent in the
handling.

It turns out that the only way to do it (that I can figure) is to use
embedded fields in the main document, rather than the headers. This
eliminates all the flow and editability, but at least the fields
themselves can be copied and pasted throughout the finished
document...

John Nurick

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:16:24 GMT, jmil...@stratco.com (Jim
Millard) wrote:

>Thanks for the input, but what you're suggesting in the {IF...} is
>accomplished by the {STYLEREF "Heading 1"} field, without the "\n"
>switch. The problem isn't the ability to ADD the text, it's the
>problem of adding the text from the correct section. And
>unfortunately, even using section breaks is inconsistent in the
>handling.

>It turns out that the only way to do it (that I can figure) is to use
>embedded fields in the main document, rather than the headers. This
>eliminates all the flow and editability, but at least the fields
>themselves can be copied and pasted throughout the finished
>document...

I have clearly misunderstood your problem. Would you like to
have another go at explaining just what it is you need to get
into the heades?

Doug Robbins

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Hi John/Jim,

I think I understand what you are trying to do, and the problem is going to
be to determine if the text under the headings is actually continued onto
the next page.

I can't think of a way of doing it merely by using fields.

On the basis that with enough persistence almost anything can be done with a
macro, I think that is probably the only way that it can be done, other than
manually by inserting a continuous section breaks and bookmarks, the text of
which referenced in the Header.

Regards,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
John Nurick <j.nu...@dial.pipex.clanger.com> wrote in message