Problem with using a table within a frame

Paul Roberts

Nov 21, 2001, 1:09:32 AM11/21/01
I am trying to setup a template that allows users to type anything they want
(tables, pictures, etc.) into only certain parts of the document. The
problem I am having is when I add a table to the frame the frame loses its
borders, resizing the table makes the frame look like it is two frames with
a table in the middle. Is there anyway of doing this? Or am I setting up
this template in the wrong way.

Thanks
Paul

John McGhie [MVP]

Nov 23, 2001, 5:43:23 AM11/23/01
Hi Paul:

Welll... I would be wondering why you are using a Frame at all. But I
suspect that you do not mean "Frame".

To restrict certain sections of a document, you use section breaks. You
then use Tools>Protect Document and protect nominated sections for Forms.

A Frame is a positioning mechanism you can use to position material
accurately when it is not in the text layer. In modern versions of Word you
rarely use Frames, and I cannot think why you would put a table inside one;
because you can position the table just the same using the layout properties
without the frame.

So I think I have misunderstood you, and I will have to ask you to describe
what you are doing in a whole lot more detail. Try to use the names for
things that Word uses in the Help so I do not get confused again.

I wonder if this is a good time to gently suggest that I believe it is
usually a waste of time trying to protect sections of documents so users
can't type in them. It smacks of over-controlling the user. Anyone who has
been using Word more than a day or so will simply remove the protection just
for the hell of it. Other users will get annoyed by it and leave. So
personally, I wouldn't do it.

Users don't come to work to try to do a bad job. They come to work trying
to do the best they can. I believe that our job should be to help them, not
to restrict or control them.

But that's just the way I feel.

Give me a bit more detail and I can tell you how to do this anyway.

Hope this helps

On 21/11/01 5:09 PM, in article eNxJkMlcBHA.988@tkmsftngp03, "Paul Roberts"
<paul.r...@btfinancialgroup.com> wrote:

--
Please post replies to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Microsoft MVP: Word for Macintosh and Word for Windows
Consultant Technical Writer
<jo...@mcghie-information.com.au>
+61 4 1209 1410; Sydney, Australia: GMT + 10 hrs