OLE_LINK1 - what is this bookmark?

vcvc

Apr 24, 2007, 3:40:03 PM4/24/07
In Word 2000, sometimes (but not always) when I copy and paste text, Word
automatically puts a bookmark around the copied text and names the bookmark
OLE_LINK1. I can't figure out when it does this and I can't make it happen
on purpose.

Can anyone tell me 1) when it happens and 2) how to turn off this automatic
feature?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 24, 2007, 4:15:35 PM4/24/07
The consensus seems to be that they are created when you paste text between
Word and another application (either to or from Word).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"vcvc" <vc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

vcvc

Apr 24, 2007, 10:50:02 PM4/24/07
Thanks Suzanne. I'll try to make it happen/watch more closely. Is there any
way to turn this automatic feature off?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 24, 2007, 11:34:56 PM4/24/07
Not that I know of. The consensus seems to be that they're harmless, anyway.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"vcvc" <vc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BookmarkWord

Apr 25, 2007, 7:14:02 PM4/25/07
The copying and pasting to another program may be an element, however, it
doesn’t explain fully. I have had the same thing happen and it is seemingly
sporadic and I use the feature to copy from and paste into 2 other programs
(company tailored ones) upwards of 20 – 50 times a day. For my purposes,
there are 6 set bookmarks and have not added to them since originally setting
up.

Here‘s what happened in the last week & this week: After going several days
without it happening (usually even couple weeks can go by), come in next
morning – 2 olelinks appeared overnite. Stayed all day (I chose not to
delete to see what would happen) with no change. Come in after a weekend not
on the PC – 4 appeared and stayed all day. Next day, first usage in the
morning and there were 6 and stayed all day. Next day, in the morning, it
was back to 4. Again, no changes during day. Now through all this, I could
have as many as 8 different phrases that I copy and paste that is located
under each initial Bookmark – I do not copy and paste what is actually
bookmarked – they are just headers for quicker location.

I wondered if a macro is running somewhere. There must be a fix. Please
let me know if this is not a normal Word behavior and if it might be an
outside influence.

Thanks -

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 25, 2007, 9:18:54 PM4/25/07
What do you mean by "they are just headers for quicker location"? Are you
clicking on hyperlinks in the TOC or using Shift+F5 to go back to previous
edit points?

FWIW, I searched the MSKB for "OLE_LINK," and the only article I found was
one of Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 2. One of the improvements or fixes
is described as follows:

OLE_LINK bookmarks no longer appear when a clipping file is created
This service pack fixes the unintended creation of an "OLE_LINK" bookmark in
a Word document if you drag content from the document to the desktop to
create a clipping file. This service pack also fixes an issue that causes
Word to close unexpectedly when you paste tables and OLE objects into other
documents.

So it would appear that the OLE_LINK bookmark is pretty much undocumented,
whatever it does.

--

"BookmarkWord" <Bookma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message