DISPLAY FILE PATH IN WORD 2007?

brucehogmanalu...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jul 22, 2008, 11:49:00 AM7/22/08
How do I display the full file path in Word 2007 when editing the same named
document in two sessions, where those documents reside on two separate
servers or paths?

Word 2003 provided the VIEW, TOOLBARS, WEB menu selection choices to show
the full file path and name. That made it very easy to know which document
you were working with, as well as to make it very easy to insert a document
into email as an attachment.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e729f21f-b110-4df5-9942-3be0c8c3fd9d&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

brucehogmanalu...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jul 22, 2008, 11:49:01 AM7/22/08

Jay Freedman

Jul 22, 2008, 12:14:52 PM7/22/08

Right-click the Quick Access Toolbar and choose the Customize item.

In the Customize dialog, set the category to Commands Not in the Ribbon.

Select the Document Location command and click the Add button in the center
of the dialog, then click OK.

The document's full path will be in the box on the Quick Access Toolbar. You
can click in the box and copy the content to the clipboard, or scroll it
left and right with the arrow keys to read the whole path.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

brucehogmanalu...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jul 22, 2008, 1:13:03 PM7/22/08
Thanks.
Adding the "DOCUMENT LOCATION" item under that quick access toolbar shows
the document's full path.
This is the way to accomplish the WORD 2003 VIEW,TOOLBARS,WEB display of the
full path of the document in WORD 2007.

Many thanks.
BTW, WORD 2007 HELP was completely without help on this topic.

Stefan Blom

Jul 28, 2008, 4:33:00 AM7/28/08
See the reply in the other thread.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Roll@discussions.microsoft.com Gary Roll

Aug 12, 2008, 4:51:02 PM8/12/08
I can't seem to find the other thread, can you direct me to that or provide
the solution? I would like to be able to display the full file path in Word
and Excel

Thanks!

Graham Mayor

Aug 13, 2008, 4:14:07 AM8/13/08
Display it where? In the title bar?

You need a macro saved in the normal template

Word 2007:

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
End Sub

Excel 2007:
Ask in an Excel forum

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Gary Roll

Aug 13, 2008, 9:42:15 AM8/13/08
The macro does accomplish what I was looking for, thanks for providing that.

Word 2003 has an option to display a Web menu toolbar which would
automatically display the full file name path as one of the toolbars if
selected. I was looking for an equivalent in Word 2007, but have not been
able to find that. It's easy enough to run the macro if you want to have that
info, but the old option was nice in that it displayed automatically as part
of the Web toolbar.

Jay Freedman

Aug 13, 2008, 8:00:20 PM8/13/08
The "other thread" that Stefan referred to was in fact the beginning of this
thread back on July 22, to which I replied with the answer you're looking for:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/browse_thread/thread/d524f2b7fc983633/a2d213cd8c3f242f?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#a2d213cd8c3f242f

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman