Hyperlink to bookmark in Word 2007

John Blight

Feb 12, 2010, 5:46:01 AM2/12/10
I can hyperlink to a bookmark in a Word document if the document is opened in
Word 2003, where the link is of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark

However, in Word 2007, the document is opened at its top; the bookmark is
ignored.

Could anyone confirm whether this is a known problem with Word 2007? I have
seen another instance reported:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Word/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/2008-10/msg00410.html

but supporting evidence would be helpful.

Thanks.

Stefan Blom

Feb 12, 2010, 5:58:54 AM2/12/10
In a quick test, hyperlinking to a particular bookmark seems to work for me.
Note that I haven't tested with a Word document on the internet, only on my
local computer (which of course may be relevant).

Another thing to consider: Are you using the most recent updates with
Word/Office?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 12, 2010, 7:12:01 AM2/12/10

Thanks, Stefan.

Good point about the updates; I'm trying that now.

What was the hyperlink url that worked for you? You say you were linking to
a document on your local PC, so did that include an explicit file:// prefix?
Presumably it wasn't an http link?

John

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> .

John Blight

Feb 12, 2010, 8:33:01 AM2/12/10
I've applied all Office updates and all critical updates, but there's no
change in behaviour.

I can't link to a bookmark in a locally or network saved Word document either.

I'm using Windows XP. Are you using a different version of Windows?

Stefan Blom

Feb 12, 2010, 9:29:24 AM2/12/10
Here's the hyperlink field code:

{ HYPERLINK
"file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\target.docx" \l
"test" }

I'm using Windows XP too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 12, 2010, 12:12:04 PM2/12/10
You're hyperlinking from one Word document to another?

Thanks for your help on this, Stefan. Could I ask you to try something else
for me, please?

If you execute this url in your browser, does it work?
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

Something similar for me doesn't work.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> .

Stefan Blom

Feb 13, 2010, 7:42:07 AM2/13/10
You are right: THAT doesn't work (unless I remove the #test part). :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 15, 2010, 4:11:01 AM2/15/10
Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

I assume this is a glitch in Word 2007, rather than intended behaviour.

I'm going to look for a workaround. If I find out anything useful, I'll post
it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> .

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 15, 2010, 8:35:53 AM2/15/10
Why do you need a workaround? If you use a properly formatted link (such as
the one in Stefan's example), it works, right?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 15, 2010, 12:29:03 PM2/15/10
The link is from a webpage to a Word document. Links in the form decribed by
Stefan don't work from a browser.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> .

Stefan Blom

Feb 16, 2010, 8:24:11 AM2/16/10
I'm wondering if this could be a security setting, not necessarily within
Word, but within the browser.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 17, 2010, 6:53:01 AM2/17/10

I don't think it's a security issue, Stefan.

Links of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

work when opening the document in Word 2003, so the behaviour seems to have
changed in Word 2007. Such links are

Links of the form:

file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\target.docx

don't look like standard links to me. I've seen the use of '\\' as a path
delimiter in C-based code, or in Windows Registry paths, but not in web links.

I've been trying to find a way of opening a Word document at a bookmark
through command-line switches, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable one.

I can save the DOC as a PDF in Word 2007, and link to a page in that PDF,
which isn't as accurate as linking to a bookmark.
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.pdf#page=2

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> .

Stefan Blom

Feb 18, 2010, 2:39:04 PM2/18/10
I forgot that you got it to work in Word 2003 (which I haven't tested).

Sorry, I have no further suggestions. I suspect you will have to use the
workaround you've found (saving as PDF).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

John Blight

Feb 22, 2010, 5:00:01 AM2/22/10
Thanks for your efforts, Stefan. They're appreciated.

I'm going to raise it with Microsoft. If anything comes of that, I'll post.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> .

John Blight

Mar 1, 2010, 3:36:01 AM3/1/10
An explanation and potential workaround are given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2003826

Thanks to Suresh Krishnan at Microsoft for that.

Note that at this time, the workaround included the instruction to "click to
clear the Browse in same window check box". This is actually the default
configuration that causes the problem. The box needs to be checked, not
cleared.

Stefan Blom

Mar 1, 2010, 5:34:54 AM3/1/10
Thank you for the follow-up!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" <JohnB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jim roberts

Sep 21, 2010, 11:29:59 AM9/21/10
I know this is old but wanted to add some info not specified in the MKB article. Upgrading from IE6 to IE8 while still using office 2003 will also change the file association behavior. The same fix will listed resolves the issue.