Re: Using MS word 2003 and 2007 on the same computer

Tony Jollans

Mar 27, 2007, 8:15:31 PM3/27/07
We have only recently become aware of how to solve this problem. I reproduce
below part of a post by a contact at Microsoft.

It goes without saying, I hope, that you should not mess with the registry
unless you are comfortable with it and know what you are doing.

The Windows Installer is
running because it is setting the CurrentVersion information in the registry
between the versions. It is possible to set a registry key to block the
Windows Installer kicking in. You'll want to only do this after confirming
that double-clicking on a document file from the Windows Desktop opens in
the version Word that you would like to be the default version for editing
Word documents. It will still be possible to open the document in either
version of Microsoft Word via File|Open.

The registry modification is ...

Use the NoRereg key for whichever version you don't want to register.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options

Add a DWORD named NoRereg set to 1

Enjoy,
Tony