Re: dont know how to word this

1 view

Greg Maxey

Feb 10, 2008, 1:36:46 AM2/10/08
See:
http://www.gmayor.com/white_space.htm

Being a notorious poor speller myself I am going to suggest that you
investigate the spell check feature and perhaps experiment with the shift
key. Mastery of both will go a long way in making your questions easier to
read.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

revivalgurl wrote:
> hi
> i am having problems with the ms 2003 word. around the side of the
> screen there is ushaly a grey space aprox 2cm but now when i open it
> up the white goes to the very edge of the screen i tried to reinstil
> ms word to go back to the defult settings but i opened msword again
> and i am still having the same problems with it how can i change this

grammatim

Feb 10, 2008, 8:00:46 AM2/10/08
Are there no courtesy requirements for becomng an MVP?

What, if anything, did you see in that gray space?

Did you try clicking the "Document Map" button on the toolbar (just
left of the paragraph-mark button)?

Or the "Styles Pane," which I find no earthly use for, but you can get
from the View menu IIRC?

> > and i am still having the same problems with it how can i change this-

Greg Maxey

Feb 10, 2008, 8:35:39 AM2/10/08
What pray tell is discourteous about answering the question to the best of
my ability (I still believe the answer is contained in the link I posted)
and then offerring a suggestion that correct spelling or a little more care
in preparing the question might make it easier to answer. Please don't give
me the line of horse#$%* that not everyone speaks English as a native
language and may not be able to do any better. There are support formums in
other languages as well.

I suppose you feel you must take a jab at an MVP when the opportunity
arises. Have a nice day.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 10, 2008, 11:18:51 AM2/10/08
It sounds as if you normally operate in Print Layout view and have wandered
into some other view--Normal or possibly Web Layout. On the View menu,
choose Print Layout and see if that restores what you usually see.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"revivalgurl" <reviv...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

grammatim

Feb 10, 2008, 1:42:30 PM2/10/08
I certainly would not have replied to "Greg Maxey"'s email if I had
known he had committed the ultimate discourtesy of emailing a copy of
a newsgroup posting to me.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 10, 2008, 2:25:17 PM2/10/08
I think Greg must be having an off day. Please accept my apology on his
behalf.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"grammatim" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Feb 10, 2008, 3:25:05 PM2/10/08
Suzanne,

There is nothing wrong with my day. I just don't care for someone come out
firing guns at me without cause.

I tried to answer the girls question by directing her to Graham's page on
white space.

Apparently Grammatim didn't see the link. That isn't my fault. Instead he
decided to declare himself the courtesy police.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

grammatim

Feb 10, 2008, 4:23:57 PM2/10/08
I won't bother replying to the _followup_ email he sent me.

OP's query was about a "2 cm grey space around the side of the
screen," which has nothing to do with the White Space command.

Never before have I seen MVPs making remarks about people's spelling
or punctuation, but that he reacted so testily suggests that he has
been called on this before.
--

On Feb 10, 3:25 pm, "Greg Maxey" <gma...@mvps.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
> Suzanne,
>
> There is nothing wrong with my day.  I just don't care for someone come out
> firing guns at me without cause.
>
> I tried to answer the girls question by directing her to Graham's page on
> white space.
>
> Apparently Grammatim didn't see the link. That isn't my fault.  Instead he
> decided to declare himself the courtesy police.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Greg Maxey -  Word MVP
>
> My web sitehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org

> Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:OjUWxqBb...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> >I think Greg must be having an off day. Please accept my apology on his
> >behalf.
>
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA

Greg Maxey

Feb 10, 2008, 5:19:16 PM2/10/08
Don't flatter yourself. At least now you seem to grudingly admit that there
was more to my original reply than a complaint about the girls spelling.
Perhaps it was an incorrect response but it certainly wasn't a complaint and
you certainly had no business lecturing me about courtesy here or anywhere
else.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

grammatim wrote:
> I won't bother replying to the _followup_ email he sent me.
>
> OP's query was about a "2 cm grey space around the side of the
> screen," which has nothing to do with the White Space command.
>
> Never before have I seen MVPs making remarks about people's spelling
> or punctuation, but that he reacted so testily suggests that he has
> been called on this before.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 10, 2008, 5:29:12 PM2/10/08
FWIW, if you haven't seen MVPs (or anyone else) commenting on spelling and
punctuation, just stick around. There are several who from time to time get
impatient with people "texting" their questions (often in the subject line
rather than the message body), and, as Greg suggested, it's not always a
result of unfamiliarity with the language--just plain laziness or
slovenliness. If I'm short of time I won't even bother trying to decipher
questions that appear to be all one long phrase (no punctuation or
capitalization), though in fairness these often do appear to have been
posted by speakers of Asian languages that don't have such refinements.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"grammatim" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Helmut Weber

Feb 10, 2008, 6:15:15 PM2/10/08
Hi submariner,

>you certainly had no business lecturing me about courtesy
>here or anywhere else.

sure. Yes.
Don't know what's wrong with grammatim.
--

Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Vista Small Business, Office XP

grammatim

Feb 10, 2008, 9:16:00 PM2/10/08
On Feb 10, 5:19 pm, "Greg Maxey" <gma...@mvps.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
> Don't flatter yourself.  At least now you seem to grudingly admit that there
> was more to my original reply than a complaint about the girls spelling.

True. I'm generally blind to links in messages, especially with no
text around them like "this essay may be helpful," because messages
are full of useless links such as the one that's the label for the
message being responded to, or the one to a poster's homepage, etc.

> Perhaps it was an incorrect response but it certainly wasn't a complaint and

I didn't say it was a complaint. I said it was discourteous.
Unleashing sarcasm isn't rude?

> you certainly had no business lecturing me about courtesy here or anywhere
> else.

I would have found it offensive if you had addressed it to me, and you
addressed it to a teenage girl, perhaps in England, perhaps in Japan.

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Greg Maxey -  Word MVP

Beth Melton

Feb 10, 2008, 11:11:40 PM2/10/08
As an attempt to get your question back on track, could you let us know if
you have the issue resolved?

To summarize the suggestions offered:
- Verify the issue isn't due to suppressed white space. If what you are
missing is the top margin and visual of "gray space" isn't present at the
top: Go to Tools/Options/View and make sure "White space between pages" is
selected.

- Verify you are using Page Layout view. If you aren't seeing any "gray
space" around the entire document: on the View menu, choose Print Layout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/9801.aspx#AboutTheBook

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

revivalgurl

Feb 12, 2008, 3:05:00 AM2/12/08
thankyou for all your guys help! (please note the use of punctuation - for
all that are worried) unfortunitly (excuse my spelling) none of that worked
but thankyou for your time and patience. i guess i will just have to put up
with it.

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

Feb 12, 2008, 7:26:04 AM2/12/08
Hi gurl,

If you are in Print Layout view (View=>Print Layout), what is the View=>Zoom setting you have? If it's set to 'page width' that can
push the 'page' to the edges of the screen.

If you've changed your Windows desktop appearance/screen settings it's possible that something there or in the Windows accessibility
settings would change the color you saw as grey.

================

thankyou for all your guys help! (please note the use of punctuation - for
all that are worried) unfortunitly (excuse my spelling) none of that worked
but thankyou for your time and patience. i guess i will just have to put up
with it. >>

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Bev

Feb 12, 2008, 10:31:03 AM2/12/08
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This post and its responses were entertaining if nothing else. Thank you
Ms. Barnhill for suggesting the print layout view, as that's what I thought
of first. It could very well be the cause.

revivalgurl: Don't be intimidated. Peoples frustrations are often
misplaced, so don't take it too personally. Hope you find a soluton to your
problem.

mistur maxy: chill

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 13, 2008, 9:15:44 AM2/13/08
I'm glad this tortured thread did at least provide a solution!

--

> hi suzanne
> thankyou for your reply your sugestion worked!!!
> i am so rapped now :) i can go back to typing songs without frustration
> thankyou so much

revivalgurl

Feb 14, 2008, 12:23:01 AM2/14/08

hhehehe :)