how can I remove hyperlinks from text copied from the web?

removing hyperlinks from copied text

Aug 10, 2009, 6:16:01 PM8/10/09
?When I copy a list from the internet, I often get items highlighted in blue
that have embedded jump sites or other information. I can clean these up one
at a time, but that is very tedious if I have a whole list of documents, each
of which has embedded information.

How can I strip a document clean all at once?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 10, 2009, 8:13:42 PM8/10/09
If hyperlinks are the only fields in the text, select it and press
Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink the fields.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"removing hyperlinks from copied text"
<removinghyperlin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:23B5472C-02C4-435E...@microsoft.com...

Greg Maxey

Aug 10, 2009, 8:36:53 PM8/10/09
Or use a macro:

Sub NailNeedsHammer()
Dim oFld As Word.Field
For Each oFld In ActiveDocument.Fields
If oFld.Type = wdFieldHyperlink Then
oFld.Unlink
End If
Next oFld
End Sub

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> If hyperlinks are the only fields in the text, select it and press
> Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink the fields.
>

> "removing hyperlinks from copied text"
> <removinghyperlin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:23B5472C-02C4-435E...@microsoft.com...
>> ?When I copy a list from the internet, I often get items highlighted
>> in blue
>> that have embedded jump sites or other information. I can clean
>> these up one
>> at a time, but that is very tedious if I have a whole list of
>> documents, each
>> of which has embedded information.
>>
>> How can I strip a document clean all at once?

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 10, 2009, 10:45:15 PM8/10/09
I was going to let this go, but then I saw Greg's arrogant postings in
the "Paste Unformatted" thread.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Under what _possible_ circumstances is this preferable to Suzanne's
two-keystroke solution to the problem?

On Aug 10, 8:36 pm, "Greg Maxey"

<gma...@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote:
> Or use a macro:
>
> Sub NailNeedsHammer()
> Dim oFld As Word.Field
> For Each oFld In ActiveDocument.Fields
>   If oFld.Type = wdFieldHyperlink Then
>     oFld.Unlink
>   End If
> Next oFld
> End Sub
>

> Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> > If hyperlinks are the only fields in the text, select it and press
> > Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink the fields.
>
> > "removing hyperlinks from copied text"

> > <removinghyperlinksfromcopiedt...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:23B5472C-02C4-435E...@microsoft.com...

> >> ?When I copy a list from the internet, I often get items highlighted
> >> in blue
> >> that have embedded jump sites or other information.  I can clean
> >> these up one
> >> at a time, but that is very tedious if I have a whole list of
> >> documents, each
> >> of which has embedded information.
>
> >> How can I strip a document clean all at once?
>
> --
> Greg Maxey -  Word MVP
>
> My web sitehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org

> Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org-

Greg Maxey

Aug 10, 2009, 10:56:25 PM8/10/09
Suzanne's answer was "conditional." Or maybe you don't understand plain
English. "If" generally means that there could be other circumstances.
Let's see here's one. "Hyperlinks are not the only fields."

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 11, 2009, 8:38:36 AM8/11/09
So your "solution" solves a problem the OP didn't ask about.

As I said, I was going to let this go, but you chose to engage in your
standard nasty discourse in another thread.

On Aug 10, 10:56 pm, "Greg Maxey"

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 11, 2009, 8:53:48 AM8/11/09
Could we please keep the "nasty discourse" confined to the thread in which
it occurs and not introduce it here? Thanks!

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Peter T. Daniels" <gram...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Aug 11, 2009, 7:15:15 PM8/11/09
Peter,

What your hold on to and what you let go matters not to me.

Back to your question. "Under what _possible_ circumstances is this

preferable to Suzanne's two-keystroke solution to the problem?"

It could be that you are simply dazed and reeling from your recent
spankings, but for a person supposedly skilled in a gazillion different
languages you seem particularly dense when is comes to comprehending plain
English. Suzanne offered a correct and perfectly sensible answer to the
OP's original question and I felt that she took care to state that her
answer was conditional. That condition being: "If hyperlinks are the only
fields in the document." I think a reasonable person could conclude that if
hyperlinks are not the only fields in the document then the process that
Suzanne provided may not produce the desired result.

The possible circumstance being the OP has copied a list containing
hyperlink fields into a document that contains other types of fields.

Now your statement: "So your "solution" solves a problem the OP didn't ask
about."

The OP did not state that there are other fields and the OP did not state
that there are not other fields. At this point we don't know if there are
other fields or not. There may be other fields and there may not be other
fields. We may never hear from the OP again and never know if there are
other fields or not. In any case you are correct, my solution solves a
problem that the OP didn't ask about.

So my high crime is solving a problem that the OP didn't ask about. Is this
the point that you have taken so much effort to highlight and drive home?
Bask in the glory of your small victory Peter.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 11, 2009, 7:27:40 PM8/11/09

In my original answer, I should have pointed out that the OP could select
just the portion of text that had been pasted in from the Web and unlink
fields only in that portion. It's unlikely that Web text would contain
fields other than hyperlinks.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Greg Maxey" <gma...@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Aug 11, 2009, 7:47:10 PM8/11/09
Suzanne,

Your original post was fne. My orignial post was fine. Peter is just being
Peter.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> In my original answer, I should have pointed out that the OP could
> select just the portion of text that had been pasted in from the Web
> and unlink fields only in that portion. It's unlikely that Web text
> would contain fields other than hyperlinks.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 11, 2009, 10:10:10 PM8/11/09
I think you and Peter just need a beer summit.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"Greg Maxey" <gma...@mIKEvICTORpAPAsIERRA.oSCARrOMEOgOLF> wrote in message

Greg Maxey

Aug 11, 2009, 10:33:57 PM8/11/09
With a brace of pistols.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 12, 2009, 12:03:25 AM8/12/09
Fortunately, the Cambridge policeman is more civilized than you.

On Aug 11, 10:33 pm, "Greg Maxey"