Using Keyboard to accept track changes

CDY

Jul 27, 2007, 12:20:04 PM7/27/07
Is there a way I can use the keyboard to accept track changes? Currently I
highlight and then right mouse click.
Thanks.

Jay Freedman

Jul 27, 2007, 1:54:45 PM7/27/07

There is a way, with a little customization.

Open the Tools > Customize dialog. In the Categories list, choose All
Commands. In the Command list, find "ToolsReviewRevisions", drag it to the
Tools menu, and hover there while holding the mouse button. When the menu
drops down, continue dragging and finally drop the item below the Track
Changes item.

The next bit is helpful but not necessary. Right-click the new "Accept or
Reject Changes" item. In the Name box, delete the & symbol before the 'A'
and insert it between the 'e' and 'j' in Reject. That will change the hotkey
for the command from 'a' (which is already in use for AutoCorrect Options)
to 'j', saving you an extra Enter keystroke when you want to invoke the
command.

Close the Customize dialog. I recommend at this point holding the Shift key
while you click File, then choose Save All to save the Normal.dot template,
where your new command is stored. Otherwise, you can wait until you're
shutting down Word; if you're prompted to save Normal.dot, say yes.

The new command (shortcut Alt+T, j) opens the old pre-Word 2003 Accept Or
Reject Changes dialog, which you can operate with Alt-key shortcuts. The
newer Reviewing toolbar doesnt respond properly to keystrokes, and has the
further disadvantage that accepting or rejecting a change doesn't select the
next change automatically -- the old dialog does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CDY

Jul 30, 2007, 12:58:04 PM7/30/07
Thanks. I use use Word 2007 and am having problems finding the "tools"
option. Please advise.

Jay Freedman

Jul 30, 2007, 8:40:33 PM7/30/07
Word 2007 is an entirely different proposition from any previous
version, largely because its customizability has been reduced by
probably 75%. However, there is still a possibility.

Click the down arrow at the right end of the Quick Access Toolbar and
click More Commands. In the dialog, click the Keyboard Shortcuts
Customize button. In the next dialog, click the Review Tab category.

In the Commands list, click the entry AcceptChangesOrAdvance. Put the
cursor in the "Press new shortcut keys" box and press a key
combination that you want to use for accepting a change. It can be one
that isn't yet assigned, or you can steal the shortcut from another
command -- the dialog will show you what the shortcut is assigned to,
and you can use it or press Backspace to remove it and try another
one. When you're satisfied, click the Assign button.

In the Commands list, click the entry RejectChangesOrAdvance. Repeat
the previous steps to assign a shortcut to this one. Don't forget to
click the Assign button before clicking Close and then OK.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Barbara

Oct 17, 2007, 11:27:04 AM10/17/07
Thanks so much for this tip, Jay. This was the one thing that I really missed
about the older UI for change tracking. (It took me a little bit of time to
figure out that your instructions are to be carried out in the Commands tab
of the Customize dialog. But apart from that your instructions are very
clear.) Thanks again.
--
Barbara Hill