<sp> tags appearing in Word with Text Boxes

GKnight

Jan 11, 2006, 6:05:31 AM1/11/06
Hello there, I am not sure if this is the right newgroup to be posting this
in but if not I would appreciate it if someone could advise which group I
should be using.

Here is the problem, I have a user who whenever they open a document or
create a new one that has a text box in it the txt <SP> seems to appear
along side it.

This cannot be removed without the text box being removed. Does anybody
have any idea why this would be happening and how to prevent it?

Many Thanks
Glen Knight

GKnight

Jan 12, 2006, 10:36:26 AM1/12/06
Can anybody help??

"GKnight" <glen....@gpisolutions.co.uk> wrote in message

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Jan 12, 2006, 11:57:04 AM1/12/06
Hi GKnight,

Well, this isn't normal for Word, which is probably why you haven't gotten a
response. Everyone is waiting for someone who HAS seen it to chime in, and
the question hasn't really been up here THAT long, yet. Not mentioning the
Word version where you're seeing this doesn't help...

If you want my opinion, you have an Addin on your machine that's probably the
cause. Start Word in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

GKnight

Jan 12, 2006, 12:01:12 PM1/12/06
It is in Word 2003, it isn't anything to do with the machine as I have tried
this particular user on other computers.

However if another user opens the same word document it doesn't appear.

You cannot delete the <sp> tag without the picture box being removed. It
also comes out on the printouts.

Any advise would be greatly received.
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" <C.Mei...@hispeed.ch> wrote in message

Tony Jollans

Jan 12, 2006, 12:54:03 PM1/12/06
I'm afraid I have no answer for this, but I have seen the issue raised once
before. In that case it was a backspace character (ascw code 8, length 1) -
but that information didn't help solve it - and I couldn't get a backspace
artificially inserted into a document to display like that (although there
may be a font which does so).

Absolutely any further information you can provide may help - but, as Cindy
says, this ain't normal!

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"GKnight" <glen....@gpisolutions.co.uk> wrote in message

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Jan 19, 2006, 11:33:20 AM1/19/06
Hi GKnight,

You still haven't reported whether things behave any differently if Word is
started in Safe Mode?

If you're using PROFILES (apparently so), then that still doesn't rule out an
Addin. In this case, it would be something specific to the user profile, is
all. You might start by checking what's in his/her STARTUP folder for Word.

> It is in Word 2003, it isn't anything to do with the machine as I have tried
> this particular user on other computers.
>
> However if another user opens the same word document it doesn't appear.
>
> You cannot delete the <sp> tag without the picture box being removed. It
> also comes out on the printouts.

Cindy Meister

Andrew Tate

Apr 6, 2006, 8:43:02 PM4/6/06
I am getting the same behavior in Word 2003. Safe mode removes the problem.

But there's nothing disabled when in safe mode.

And there's no add-ins or templates running on startup.

Any other suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks

Andrew Tate

Andrew Tate

Apr 6, 2006, 9:08:02 PM4/6/06
I have solved the problem by the renaming the folder in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data

When I restarted Word, the problem was not there.

Andrew Tate

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Apr 7, 2006, 1:39:39 PM4/7/06
Hi Glen,

> I have solved the problem by the renaming the folder in the registry
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data

Thanks for posting back with the "solution". Given that the DATA key
was storing the setting (whatever it is), my best guess is that the
behavior is related to either an Asian or right-to-left language
setting.

Possibly, some addin or macro once activated a setting that would be
available in Tools/Options if whatever-environment this comes from
were running on the machine... As I say, just my best guess. But I'll
try to remember this the next time a similar issues crops up and
someday might even figure out what it is!