How to stop auto-formatting from changing to default on re-boot?

Troubled479

Mar 31, 2006, 9:23:02 AM3/31/06
I keep unchecking the auto formatting options; and the button to Allow
Starting in Reading Layout; and the number under recently used file list.

Each time I reboot my settings are changed to default.

How can I make my settings permanent?

Graham Mayor

Mar 31, 2006, 9:44:56 AM3/31/06
Is this a personal or company machine? If the former then it is probably
that your Word data key in the registry is corrupt. Delete it and Word will
create a new one - see http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm
(which shows the location of the data key).

I the latter you need to take it up with your IT department.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Troubled479

Mar 31, 2006, 10:59:02 AM3/31/06
Graham:

It is my personal computer. I tried the "fix" but when I re-boot the
computer it still reverts to the default settings. I re-booted a couple of
times just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

Graham Mayor

Apr 1, 2006, 12:48:06 AM4/1/06
You did delete the whole data key and not just the toolbar key?
I can't readily see any mechanism by which registry changes are routinely
wiped on a reboot.
It would be worth checking out the standard fixes
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm . Repair Word and
run chkdsk on your hard drive.

Shauna Kelly

Apr 1, 2006, 6:51:47 AM4/1/06
Hi Troubled, Graham

Another person on this newsgroup reported similar problems earlier this
week. He was using something called CCleaner, which is apparently a registry
"cleaner" available for free. It was deleting his Word data key, and his
settings with it.

The post is at:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/browse_frm/thread/8a53ff29d0f6f007/507c419a625f848a

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Apr 1, 2006, 8:03:45 AM4/1/06
Ah! Impressive :(

Troubled479

Apr 1, 2006, 12:20:02 PM4/1/06
I checke dtheother link and it was RIGHT ON TARGET. CC Cleaner was the
culprit. I like that program so I am going to see how the settingsd might be
changed so it does not cause this problem in WORD 2003. Many thanks to you,
Graham, for sticking with me!

By the way, do you recommend a registry cleaner? I think CC Cleaner is easy
to use and safe.

Steve

Shauna Kelly

Apr 1, 2006, 8:08:52 PM4/1/06
Hi Steve

I've never felt a need for a registry cleaner, and the experience you and
the other recent poster have with CCleaner doesn't encourage me to try.

I will report the problem to www.ccleaner.com.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Troubled479" <Troub...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Apr 2, 2006, 1:09:59 AM4/2/06
Generally speaking, if you don't understand the registry and its entries,
you should avoid 'cleaners' like the plague. One that I use occasionally is
registry rescue from http://www.pcprivacysoftware.com/ but whether I would
recommend it to you is another issue entirely.

Clearly CC Cleaner isn't safe as it is stripping Word's registry entries.
What else is it removing that you haven't discovered yet?