Word will no longer save across network

1 view

Chuda

Jan 12, 2006, 11:31:41 AM1/12/06

I save Word documents on a remote PC across a home network.

I recently fully updated Windows and I suspect that one of the updates has
caused the following behaviour.

Today, when I tried to save a new document, Word announced that "The folder
may be loacated in an unavailable location, protected with a password, or the
filename contains / or \." and wouldn't let me save.

I've found a work-around...

I go into Windows Explorer, navigate via My Network Places to the PC and
folder in question, right-click in the file pane and choose New --> Microsoft
Word Document and give the new file the filename required. I then return to
Word, create my document, do a Save As..., select the pre-created file and
choose Replace File. Voila!

Bizarre!

Any guesses?

Thankyou for your time.

Graham.

garfield-n-odie

Jan 12, 2006, 12:40:07 PM1/12/06
If you installed Windows update KB885250 "MS05-011: Vulnerability
in server message block could allow remote code execution" on the
WinXP computers, try uninstalling KB885250 in Start | Control
Panel | Add/Remove Programs (if there is a "Show all updates" box
at the top of the Add/Remove Programs window, then make sure the
box is checked). This update is available as an individual
update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, and is included in Update
Rollup 1 for Windows 2000. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=895900 "You cannot save a file
from your Windows XP-based or Windows 2000-based computer to a
shared folder on a file server" for more information.

Chuda

Jan 12, 2006, 1:41:04 PM1/12/06
Spot-on.

Thanks very much.