Hyperlink Too Long

Amanda

May 22, 2007, 2:47:01 AM5/22/07
I am trying to insert a Hyperlink into a document. Unfortunately the
hyperlink is extremely long (and I do not have the option of altering it).
When inserting the link MS Word is not capable of holding the complete
address and keeps cutting the end of the address off.

Is there any way that I can utilise a Cmd Button to open up a web page with
a Web address? Or do I have another option?

Terry Farrell

May 22, 2007, 7:06:28 AM5/22/07
Use Ctrl+K, paste the long hyperlink into the box at the bottom. In the box
at the top, remove the hyperlink details and give it a short logical name or
just ClickHere. Ditto with the tooltip. Then close the dialog and the
shortened name will appear.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Amanda" <Ama...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Amanda

May 22, 2007, 7:58:01 PM5/22/07
Hi terry,
Thanx for your help, but unfortunately it is not that simple. I understand
the use of Hyperlinks and having the hyperlink down the bottom and the
display text up the top.
The problem is that the hyperlink is 835 characters long (ridiculous) and
when I go and paste it into the hyperlink box only 514 characters are pasted.
Have tried a number of options including trying to type in the rest of the
address manually but the hyperlink box will not allow past the 514 characted.

This is why I'm wondering whether there is another work around that I could
use.

Once again, thanx
Amanda

Jay Freedman

May 22, 2007, 8:21:57 PM5/22/07
Hi Amanda,

I thought I might be able to work around it by using a macro to set
the address of the hyperlink, but it failed. Regardless of how I
manipulated it, the address maxed out at 514 characters.

There are several free services that let you create a short alias for
a long URL, such as http://tinyurl.com/. You could create an alias
there and use it in your hyperlink.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Amanda

May 22, 2007, 10:28:01 PM5/22/07
Thanx - this worked a treat

Terry Farrell

May 23, 2007, 2:32:05 AM5/23/07
Amanda

Wow 835 characters! I hadn't appreciated how long your really meant. <g>

Terry