Can't open a .doc file, says the file is not available

S.@discussions.microsoft.com Monte S.

Apr 11, 2006, 2:24:02 PM4/11/06
I try opening a .doc file and get a message that the file is not available.
Doesn't matter how I try, whether I double click a .doc in Windows Explorer
or open it within Word. Even does this just after I close a saved document...
when I try to reopen it, it says it's unavailable. I have run detect and
repair twice and also chose the reinstall office option. The message still
appears. The documents are there, they appear in the Open Document window.
Just plain weird... and very frustrating! Can anyone please help solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 11, 2006, 3:11:18 PM4/11/06
If you are running Norton AntiVirus, disable its Office Plug-in.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Monte S." <Monte S.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Monte S.

Apr 11, 2006, 4:02:01 PM4/11/06
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have Norton SystemWorks 2004 installed, and
did have the Antivirus installed with it. But my subscription was up and I
bought Computer Associate's Internet Security Suite instead of upgrading
SystemWorks. I uninstalled the Antivirus application but still have the rest
of SystemWorks installed. I have been getting NAV errors though when I try
launching Password Manager from my Quick Launch. Maybe there's a connection.
I clicked the error link and tried the first remedy they suggested but the
error still comes up. Any ideas about that? Here's the error code and link:
Error: "Norton AntiVirus has encountered an internal program error, uninstall
and then reinstall Norton Antivirus" (3002,1530)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2002080212022306?OpenDocument&seg=hho&src=_mi&product=NAV&version=10.0&language=english&module=3002&error=1530&build=STANDARD

Thanks!
Monte

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 11, 2006, 4:29:03 PM4/11/06
If Norton AV was installed at one time then the DLL for the Office
Plug-in could still be registered.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "<path>\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Monte S." <Mon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Monte S.

Apr 11, 2006, 9:54:02 PM4/11/06
I did as you suggested and they open fine now. Thanks for your help Suzanne!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Apr 11, 2006, 10:16:57 PM4/11/06
Glad I could help.