Left mouse click does not work in Word

Dick Swager

Oct 30, 2008, 12:27:01 PM10/30/08
I posted this question under General, but it should probably be asked here
instead.

I have Office Home and Student 2007 on a Windows Vista machine. When I am
using Word the left mouse click does nothing. Also when I close the
application it crashes every time. The document is saved though. I do not
have this problem with any of the other Office applications.

I have removed and reinstalled the Office package and I have installed all
of the updates but this did not cure the problem.

How can I fix this problem?

--
Dick

Jay Freedman

Oct 30, 2008, 12:33:14 PM10/30/08

This problem has been reported many times in the newsgroups. For example,
read
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/browse_thread/thread/7acb2108423c4023/db585d56149fd803?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#db585d56149fd803.

The solution for most people has been to delete Word's Data key in the
registry and let Word rebuild it. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions,
and note that the version number for Word 2007 is "12.0".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Dick Swager

Oct 30, 2008, 1:16:08 PM10/30/08
Thanks Jay. Removed the Settings key and that fixed it.

But shouldn't an uninstallation have removed those registry keys also?

--
Dick

Jay Freedman

Oct 30, 2008, 2:25:31 PM10/30/08
Dick Swager wrote:
> Thanks Jay. Removed the Settings key and that fixed it.

Excellent!

> But shouldn't an uninstallation have removed those registry keys also?

No, Office is different from most packages in that uninstalling it doesn't
remove some registry entries or the Normal template. The developers'
assumption is that if you uninstall the program, you may plan to reinstall
it and you wouldn't want to lose whatever customizations you had before --
but that doesn't take into account that lots of people uninstall because
they're trying to cure a problem caused by corruption of exactly those
elements.

Andrey Egorov

Nov 5, 2008, 11:31:01 AM11/5/08
Hi Jay!

For me removing DATA registry key doesn't solve the problem. Just after file
opening mouse work and I can select text but when I switch to any other
program and return back in Word mouse doesn't work. In the profile Temp
directory there appears file WordRqmErrors.log but in event log no errors
shown.

Jay Freedman

Nov 5, 2008, 11:59:55 AM11/5/08
Hi Andrey,

I don't know of any other solutions that are likely to work, but you can try
the steps in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm.
Another possibility is to borrow a different mouse and install its driver,
to see if that helps.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Andrey Egorov

Nov 5, 2008, 12:12:04 PM11/5/08
Thanks Jay,

The problem solved. It was Sybase PowerDesigner 12 template add in. Just
removed it and Word started to work properly.