[Word 2007] Mouse Doesn't Work (i.e. Can't Highlight Text)

Matt

Feb 20, 2007, 4:10:40 PM2/20/07
I have never seen this before, but for some reason, the mouse has stopped
working in Word 2007 when trying to select or edit text within the Document.
It works for selecting menu items, but when you try and drag it over text or
left/right click within the document, nothing happens. All other office 2007
programs (Excel, Access, Outlook, etc) function as normal. Also, it doesn't
work in the Word 2007 options menu...it won't select the different options
tabs on the left hand side of the options window. Is there some sort of
security feature in Word 2007 that disables the mouse?

-Matt

Jay Freedman

Feb 21, 2007, 9:46:31 AM2/21/07
No, there's no such "security feature" (and I can't imagine how it would be
"secure" anyway). We've had some reports of the mouse wheel failing to
scroll the Word window, but not this sort of thing.

Try reinstalling the mouse driver, or see if there's an updated driver at
the manufacturer's web page. The path for the driver is Start > Settings >
Control Panel > Mouse > Hardware > Properties > Driver > Update Driver.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

skyn...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2007, 12:05:39 PM2/21/07
On Feb 21, 9:46 am, "Jay Freedman" <jay.freed...@verizon.net> wrote:
> No, there's no such "security feature" (and I can't imagine how it would be
> "secure" anyway). We've had some reports of themousewheel failing to

> scroll the Word window, but not this sort of thing.
>
> Try reinstalling themousedriver, or see if there's an updated driver at

> the manufacturer's web page. The path for the driver is Start > Settings >
> Control Panel >Mouse> Hardware > Properties > Driver > Update Driver.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jay Freedman
> Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
> Emailcannotbe acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so

> all may benefit.
>

> Matt wrote:
> > I have never seen this before, but for some reason, themousehas
> > stopped working in Word 2007 when trying to select or edit text
> > within the Document. It works for selecting menu items, but when you
> > try and drag it over text or left/rightclickwithin the document,
> > nothing happens. All otheroffice2007 programs (Excel, Access,

> > Outlook, etc) function as normal. Also, it doesn't work in the Word
> > 2007 options menu...it won't select the different options tabs on the
> > left hand side of the options window. Is there some sort of security
> > feature in Word 2007 that disables themouse?
>
> > -Matt- Hide quoted text -

I am having the same issue. I have an IBM T42 laptop. I can not
click or highlight text in Word or even with an external USB Mouse. I
have repaired and reinstalled Office 2007 and changed the mouse
drivers etc.

Is this a known issue? There are no updates for office for my
machine.

Mark

T.@discussions.microsoft.com Francis T.

Feb 21, 2007, 3:01:11 PM2/21/07
Same problem for me. Did you find an anwer ?

Thanks.

Matt

Feb 22, 2007, 12:39:00 PM2/22/07
I still haven't found an answer unfortunately. But I am glad to see that it
isn't just me. Also, we are having the exact same issue with another
computer at work. So there is defenetly something weird going on. BTW, my
machine is running Vista while the other machine is running Windows XP, so it
doesn't appear to be OS related.

-Matt

Matt

Feb 22, 2007, 2:38:26 PM2/22/07
Ok...found a solution, this really isn't so much a fix but a work-around
untill MS addresses the issue. My assumption that this problem is cuased by
a security features appears to have been correct. If you run Word with
administrator privileges (by either logging in as an Admin or by selecting
"Run As Administrator"), everything works as normal...you can highlight text,
use the scroll bar and select the different options tabs in the options menu.
So, the next step is to figure out why a user's access level restricts the
mouse abilites in Word. Does anyone know what the best way is to contact MS
and tell them about this?

Thanks,
Matt

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

Feb 23, 2007, 7:46:44 AM2/23/07
Hi Matt,

This problem has been seen as being caused by using certain add-ins with Word as well. Laser Fiche is one that isn't compatible.

What happens if you start Word in Office safe mode (hold ctrl key while starting Word)?

What profile restrictions were you using when not logged in as Administrator?

You can contact the MS folks through the links on http://support.microsoft.com

=================
<<"Matt" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AE62AFF-9836-4CA7...@microsoft.com...

Ok...found a solution, this really isn't so much a fix but a work-around
untill MS addresses the issue. My assumption that this problem is cuased by
a security features appears to have been correct. If you run Word with
administrator privileges (by either logging in as an Admin or by selecting
"Run As Administrator"), everything works as normal...you can highlight text,
use the scroll bar and select the different options tabs in the options menu.
So, the next step is to figure out why a user's access level restricts the
mouse abilites in Word. Does anyone know what the best way is to contact MS
and tell them about this?

Thanks,
Matt >>
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Tim Anderson

Feb 23, 2007, 8:10:49 AM2/23/07
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" <75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com> wrote
in message news:OVu2Yf0...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> Hi Matt,
>
> This problem has been seen as being caused by using certain add-ins with
> Word as well. Laser Fiche is one that
> isn't compatible.

I had this problem, and it turned out to be Flash Paper add-in and template
that was causing it.

More on my blog:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=140

Tim

Matt

Feb 23, 2007, 5:50:17 PM2/23/07
Well...now that I am able to access the add-ins option (by running Word as
Administrator), I was able to locate the culprit...and indeed it WAS
Laserfiche. I had my suspicious but an least I can now confirm it. However,
it appears the many different types of add-ins are causing this problem...and
I have seen the same problem with both Word 07 and Word 03...so, I am not
really sure if this is a problem with Word or just a common problem sharded
by many different add-ins. I have several contacts with the development
teams at Laserfiche so i will contact them and see if we can at least find a
solution for their add-in...

Thanks,
Matt

WicstunTomo

May 19, 2007, 8:15:00 AM5/19/07
I am logged on as admin but still cannot use mouse on document part of word
2007 when on vista laptop - works fine on Office Xp machine

Sorry - not answer, just anothe rpiece in puzzle!!

I have now uninstalled 2007 on vista laptop - now everytime open office 2003
app it installs - I've contacted MS help and tried first suggestions to no
effect any one else had similar problems - even uninstalling Ofice 2003 does
not work!!
--
Wicstun Tomo