Word 2007: Equations don't print on page with pictures

Christopher King

Apr 26, 2007, 5:32:01 PM4/26/07
To reproduce:
1) Open new Word 2007 document.
2) Insert a picture from a .gif or .jpg file.
3) Copy the picture and "paste special" it into the document as "Picture
(PNG)". (The original picture in the document may be deleted.)
4) Insert an equation.
5) Print the page.

Expected: The picture and equation should both print
Observed: The picture prints, but not the equation. The equation appears
on the screen, but not on the printed page.

If the .png picture is deleted, then the equation prints.

Chris

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a646aa60-24b1-4a72-9dac-e5f760389a81&dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Apr 26, 2007, 11:20:38 PM4/26/07
Click the Office button (upper left corner), Word Options, Display tab, and
make sure that "Print drawings created in Word" is enabled. Do both print
correctly now?

Note: with this option turned off, I get the opposite of what you get... the
equation prints, but not the picture. With the option turned on, both
picture and equation print fine.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Christopher King" <Christo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A646AA60-24B1-4A72...@microsoft.com...

Christopher King

Apr 28, 2007, 11:44:00 AM4/28/07
So you can't reproduce it. That is peculiar. The "Print drawings created in
Word" button is enabled on my computer. I tried printing to a network
printer and had the same result, so it is unlikely to be a printer driver
issue. I'm using Windows XP. Hmm.

Chris

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Apr 28, 2007, 11:40:50 PM4/28/07
I'm using Vista, but I wouldn't think that that would make a difference in
this instance.

When you print to a network printer, am I correct that it's a different
printer?

What about if you print to Microsoft Office Document Image Writer? Do both
equation and picture show up in that printed result?

The problem could be the result of a corrupted registry entry (e.g., this
can sometimes result in Word ignoring some settings). I would try starting
Word in Safe mode to see if the problem occurs that way (press Ctrl as Word
is starting, and click Yes to starting in safe mode).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Christopher King" <Christo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:128688CE-43C6-49CB...@microsoft.com...

philip...@googlemail.com

May 1, 2007, 7:17:59 PM5/1/07
On Apr 28, 4:44 pm, Christopher King

<ChristopherK...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> So you can't reproduce it. That is peculiar. The "Print drawings created in
> Word" button is enabled on my computer. I tried printing to a network
> printer and had the same result, so it is unlikely to be a printer driver
> issue. I'm using Windows XP. Hmm.
>
> Chris
>
> "Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
> > Click the Office button (upper left corner), Word Options, Display tab, and
> > make sure that "Print drawings created in Word" is enabled. Do both print
> > correctly now?
>
> > Note: with this option turned off, I get the opposite of what you get... the
> > equation prints, but not the picture. With the option turned on, both
> > picture and equation print fine.
>
> > --
> > Herb Tyson MS MVP
> > Author of the Word 2007 Bible
> > Blog:http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
> > Web:http://www.herbtyson.com
>
> > "Christopher King" <ChristopherK...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:A646AA60-24B1-4A72...@microsoft.com...

> > > To reproduce:
> > > 1) Open new Word 2007 document.
> > > 2) Insert a picture from a .gif or .jpg file.
> > > 3) Copy the picture and "paste special" it into the document as "Picture
> > > (PNG)". (The original picture in the document may be deleted.)
> > > 4) Insert an equation.
> > > 5) Print the page.
>
> > > Expected: The picture and equation should both print
> > > Observed: The picture prints, but not the equation. The equation appears
> > > on the screen, but not on the printed page.
>
> > > If the .png picture is deleted, then the equation prints.
>
> > > Chris
>
> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
> > > this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> > >http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a646...

Hi,
Im having the same problem. This was the only post I could find on the
net about it. Did you ever get it solved? Im having to take a screen
shot and paste the equation back as a picture.
Thanks

Phil Winder

ahin...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2007, 10:48:04 PM6/6/07
> Phil Winder- Hide quoted text -

I've been having the same problem also. Word seems to be particularly
sensitive to PNG files, a single image will cause the equations on
that page to not print. BMPs aren't as bad but do still cause
intermittent problems. The work around that I found was to import the
images as JPEGs. I've been reworking my document replacing all the
PNGs with JPEGs and the equations all print afterword.

Terry Farrell

Jun 7, 2007, 2:42:54 AM6/7/07
If you go to Word, Options, Advanced tab and at the bottom of the list
select the Web Options button, select the Browsers tab and check Allow PNG
as Graphics Format, does that resolve the problem?

Terry