port 3389 Not listening remote desktop connection

coxwj

Jul 14, 2005, 11:13:37 PM7/14/05
Im running XP Pro with SP2. I cannot get port 3389 to listen when using
Remote Desktop Connection. At this point I am at a loss. I have checked
Terminal Service Reg KEYs (all fine), Disabled Norton 2005 (made no
difference), and checked firewall settings. I am confident that it is a
problem with this particular machine, as I have no problem setting up
any of the other computers on my network. I'm guessing that for SOME
reason The remote desktop connection is not telling Terminal Services
to listen on that port. Should I reinstal SP2? Repair xp? Is there some
way to force that port to listen on an XP Pro machine?

As to my knowledge there is no TSCC availible on an XP Pro machine as
it is simply there to work with RDC.

Another thing is that I have ran RDC on this machine before, with the
same OS though another hard drive. Somewhere in the upgrade there must
have been a glitch and now i seem to be screwed. Any suggestions are
MUCH appreciated, I've spent way too many hours on this already.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Jul 15, 2005, 6:23:44 AM7/15/05
Is "Terminal Services" running on the PC?

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"coxwj" <co...@msn.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

coxwj

Jul 15, 2005, 6:50:40 PM7/15/05
Yes it's running. Thanks for that link...but I've been through it a
million times.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Jul 16, 2005, 7:36:46 AM7/16/05
Well, you might try...

1. Re-registering Remote Desktop using the command line that
follows...Reboot the PC after doing this...

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

2. Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP.

NOTE the warnings on the page...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"coxwj" <co...@msn.com> wrote in message

coxwj

Jul 18, 2005, 3:21:58 PM7/18/05
Rebooting regsvr32 had no affect. Any other suggestions before I do a
repair? I would really like to use that as a last option, as the rest
of computer has no problems at all, not to mention it is a server that
I use on a daily basis.

What about my original thread, is there a way to force that port to
listen?

Also, is this a problem that other folks do not have? I seem to find
many threads on "Port 3389 NOT LISTENING", but no real answers ever
surface, or they simply didn't enable Remote Desktop Connection in the
first place. I find it strange that instruction on setting up a RDC
often ask you to check netstat -a to see if 3389 is listening, but then
never tell you how to proceed if it is not. Am I alone on this?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Jul 19, 2005, 7:23:24 AM7/19/05
I think that the repair installation is your best option at this point. Note
the warnings on the page. I also recommend backing up sensitive data as a
precaution.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"coxwj" <co...@msn.com> wrote in message

BishopNB

Jul 22, 2005, 11:34:02 AM7/22/05
Go to a command prompt and type in the following

c:\>netstat -na |more

It should display what IP addresses and ports your machine is mapping.
Something like this:
Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1040 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1433 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:2967 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:3908 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

Look for the one that says 3389 like what I have above. Is it listed on
yours? Is it listening? If it's not listed then TS isn't running. Let me
know.

coxwj

Jul 24, 2005, 11:02:30 PM7/24/05
no, see that's the weird part. TS is running under services, but for
some reason port 3389 is not listing, actually, that's my whole
problem. I'm not sure what the deal is exactly. Obviously RDC is on, so
that should have told TS to listen on port 3389, but no dice. I've
thought about changing the port, but that seems like more trouble than
it's worth. Sooner AI told me to repair, but I'd rather not at this
point, seems to risky.

Any suggestions on how to manually configure TS? is that even possible
with XP Pro?

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jul 25, 2005, 5:26:57 AM7/25/05
coxwj <co...@msn.com> wrote:

> no, see that's the weird part. TS is running under services, but for
> some reason port 3389 is not listing, actually, that's my whole
> problem. I'm not sure what the deal is exactly. Obviously RDC is on,
> so that should have told TS to listen on port 3389, but no dice.

What makes you think that port 3389 is not listening? Can you post here the
output of the command

netstat -ano

Have you enabled Remote Desktop in control panel System?

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

coxwj

Jul 26, 2005, 9:27:50 PM7/26/05
Why do I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over. Port 3389
is not listed and yes RDC is enabled, which is the whole problem.
Following the steps to enable RDC have been followed to a "T" and I
can't figure out why this port won't enable. TS is running, so it
should just configure when i turn RDC on.

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin>netstat -ano

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

PID
TCP 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
1252

TCP 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

1252

TCP 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

1252

TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

660

TCP 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

1252

TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

4
TCP 0.0.0.0:1025 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
1252
TCP 0.0.0.0:2869 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
836
TCP 127.0.0.1:1026 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
2056
TCP 127.0.0.1:1032 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
2492
TCP 127.0.0.1:1052 127.0.0.1:1051 TIME_WAIT
0
TCP 127.0.0.1:1056 127.0.0.1:1057 ESTABLISHED
3996
TCP 127.0.0.1:1057 127.0.0.1:1056 ESTABLISHED
3996
TCP 192.168.1.98:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
4
TCP 192.168.1.98:1036 68.16.64.30:80 ESTABLISHED
2724
TCP 192.168.1.98:1054 66.166.189.67:80 TIME_WAIT
0
TCP 192.168.1.98:1060 216.239.57.147:80 ESTABLISHED
3996
TCP 192.168.1.98:1061 216.239.57.147:80 ESTABLISHED
3996