DVD Editing Software Asking For Encoder

NJITGS

Oct 2, 2006, 11:59:11 PM10/2/06
Greetings All~

Recently I purchased a new Presario Desktop computer that was built with Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 and I installed an addtional LightScribe DVD Writer to it along with it's DVD editing software that came with it when installing the drivers disk for it, -all went successfully, the hardware installed successfully, jumper pins in their respective postions and the drive functions normally.  Problem is now with the ArcSoft Showbiz DVD 2 software that it came with will not export to .MOV (Quictime) format or Window Media file .wmv format, when attempting to save the editied video files as either one I get a message asking me to install Windows Media Player 9.0 or another compatable encoder.  OK! great! sounds easy enought huh? well after upgrading my Windows Media Player to 11 I get no results, Showbiz software still asking me for 9.0 encoder, so I went to the MS website and located the 9.0 encoder download and after having installed it successfully and rebooting my computer I find that the issue is still not resolved!  In my other attemps, I also updated my Quicktime Player in hopes that afterwards Showbiz will allow me to save my media projects in that format, -no such luck!

My next attempt was to contact ArcSoft directly via thier email support as I have done so in the past with good results, however now when I try to send an email to arcsoft...@arcsoft.com I get an auto reply telling me that I have to now register with their website for support, ok, sounds good, so I go to thier website register with thier site and enter my product type and ID and it tells me that trial and hardware bundled versions are not eligible for email support and that I will have to visit thier Knowledge Base that does not have any topics pertaining to my issue, -I can't even get email support or phone support from them now!  Microsoft and Hewlett Packard both tell me that it's a third party software and that they do not offer support for it even though it came with thier product! -like that makes any kind of sense!

Prior to uninstalling the DVD Writer drive from my other computer that was Windows XP Home Edtion SP2 and installing it on the new one it was working perfectly fine and was performing all it's tasks without error, I have since ruled it out being a hardware issue as the drive itself is in good working order, it's just that the software isn't with Windows XP Media Center Edtion.

Can anyone please help!!!

Climbing the walls....

Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff

Andrew E.

Oct 3, 2006, 2:41:02 AM10/3/06
Mostly the cdrw-cdrom-dvdrom-dvdrw software is worthless,many disk hardware
mfg simply throw in the cds......To play/edit dvds,one does need an encoder +
dvd software.With ATI video adapters,they give the user free add on software
to play/edit dvd,it works well and gets updated reguluar.To get other dvd
software,
microsoft.com/WM home page lists several,or try downloads.com

decoder

Oct 3, 2006, 2:49:46 AM10/3/06
Snipped > original post in annoying font, and html>

It is an accepted marketing practice, otherwise software houses
would go out of business, and piracy would be rampant.
The software was "bundled" with your original PC.
You transferred a burner from one PC to another,
when trying to install the software it at least allowed you
to install, but it is now not with the OEM PC, so it is deemed
to be a trial, want to use it, then pay the fee.

Oct 3, 2006, 12:21:10 PM10/3/06
You misunderstood. This DVD Writer that came with the ArcSoft Showbiz DVD 2
software (on the drives driver instasllation disk) was purchased separately
earlier this year and is still under warrany but HP will not support the
software. The drive was removed from my ohter computer and installed on my
new one, but now for some reason will not export in the .MOV or .WMV formats
though it worked perfectly fine on my other Windows XP SP2 V2002 computer.
So I don't think that removing the drive from my other computer has anything
to do with it becuase it was an add on drive that I purchased. As for
software companies going bankrupt, why then would they include thier
software on the DVD drives installation disk?

Thanks for your reply!\

EB-W
"decoder" <REM...@ANDyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

decoder

Oct 3, 2006, 1:10:59 PM10/3/06

"NJITGS" <nji...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> You misunderstood. This DVD Writer that came with the ArcSoft Showbiz DVD
> 2 software (on the drives driver instasllation disk) was purchased
> separately earlier this year and is still under warrany but HP will not
> support the software. The drive was removed from my ohter computer and
> installed on my new one, but now for some reason will not export in the
> .MOV or .WMV formats though it worked perfectly fine on my other Windows
> XP SP2 V2002 computer. So I don't think that removing the drive from my
> other computer has anything to do with it becuase it was an add on drive
> that I purchased. As for software companies going bankrupt, why then
> would they include thier software on the DVD drives installation disk?
>
> Thanks for your reply!\

Hi
That clears up just one or two points........
Installation of a drive/burner in another PC is not an issue.
It's the software, In your original post you state that HP and
arcsoft offer no support as it was "bundled", as indeed it was
with the drive when you bought it.
As you've followed instructions for plug-ins and that seemingly
didn't work, I checked the site:
http://www.arcsoft.com/products/showbiz/

And their Knowledge base articles, intriquingly Win MCE is not
listed as an OS? Though the KB dosen't list it as a problem niether?
It maybe that these are functions not available when run with MCE?
http://tinyurl.com/zwr6s

Have you tried XP's software compatibility mode?

NJITGS

Oct 3, 2006, 11:21:48 PM10/3/06
No, what is XP's software compatability mode before I throw my computer out
the window....?

So glad that someone else thinks alongs the sames lines in regard to the MCE
causing it to malfunction -thank you!

If you have any further elaborations on the matter please send then along,
all will be appreciated!

"decoder" <REM...@ANDyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

NJITGS

Oct 3, 2006, 11:40:03 PM10/3/06
BTW- thank you, yes I did visit the ArcSoft Download page and accordingly
downloaded the update for my version and it did not seem to do anything and
it certainly didn't correct the problem.

NJITGS

Oct 3, 2006, 11:42:06 PM10/3/06
Come to think of it MCE seems to be playing everything on my computer in
High Definition, perhaps there's something to do with that that's preventing
my Showbiz software from allowing me to export (or save) as WMV or MOV.

NJITGS

Oct 5, 2006, 8:53:36 PM10/5/06
Well, to add closure to this thread since it doesn't seem like it will be getting any more hits, I would just like to note that in my opinion and according to my computer's manufacturer, Microsoft created strict liscensing conditions on thier MCE and obviously ArcSoft (Showbiz DVD2) may have concluded that, considering what the other bundled software's are allowing thier product to perfon, they gave too much away with the bundle version of thier software and must have come to some sort of agreement with MS not to allow those liscensing conditions export in Window's Media File types or Quicktime MOV formats, I suppose so that they can sell upgrades or tech support for thier products.

Thanks to everyone with the dedication and compassion that took the time to reply!

All the best!

Elaine Beauxrauxgard-Weiderhoff

decoder

Oct 7, 2006, 6:06:16 AM10/7/06
Hello Elaine,
That is one annoying font you use?
My apoligies, but I've been away for a few days.
It could be a whole pile of factors, from plug-ins, patches
that were installed on your previous XP pc, now not available
with your XP MCE pc. To Software incompatibilty, DRM,
corrupt installation of Encoder, etc etc
MCE is preinstalled by OEM's on minimum spec PC's
it cannot be "downloaded and installed", the first port
of call for you now should be the OEM you purchased
the MCE pc from.
Also look here and follow links:

NJITGS

Oct 7, 2006, 1:19:12 PM10/7/06

None of the information in the links you provided helped, -thank you anyway! it is appreciated.

I have surrendered to the suspicion that it's a deliberate effort with the newer builds of XP MCE that I cannot use my Showbiz Software to it's full extent as I was able to in the past with XP Home Edition, I guess like the saying goes "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't" and to further that, I really doubt that anyone in this forum would admit that MS put licensing restrictions on third party software.

As time passes it is my opinion that less and less software’s will be free to use and more and more will have to be purchased as things become more fine tuned with the computer industry.

EB-W

NJITGS

Oct 10, 2006, 3:33:02 PM10/10/06
I thinks it's a real attrocity the way, since the public inception of the internet and computers into mainstream society, we have been made to be guinee pigs for software manufacturing companies and now that we've ironed out all the glitches for them their going to charge us for every little thing that our pc's can now do.  Christ's sake! before too long buying a computer will mean just buying hardware with nothing on it besides a BIOS and everything else will have to be paid for separately, I figure this judging by all the crap that my "loaded" computer supposedly came with, trial-ware crap! just to make it look like thier giving me things.  Reading through this thread you will find a perfect example of this greed.  After all ther's no real manual labour going into it and all the brain that software is created with indirectly comes from making society a mental farm to obscure other attrocities!

EB-W