Slipstreaming SP2 over SP1a

Brian

Nov 16, 2007, 10:17:01 PM11/16/07
I'm sick of this. Why are there are these complication when all I want to do
is basically write essays and make html files for school? My computer won't
start up, I try a repair installation and it tells me "The fie 'asms' is
needed", then I learn about slipstreaming it, and now I learn that I can't
slipstream SP2 into Dell's reinstallation disk because it has SP1a.

I gues my rant asked my question already. Can anyone tell me a workaround to
slipstream SP2 into SP1a? Please don't give me a link to the Microsoft KB, it
doesn't have sufficient information. My OEM is Dell.

Andrew E.

Nov 16, 2007, 11:18:00 PM11/16/07
Make a new cd with XP OS,& add SP2 with it...Also,youre wasting youre time
with a "repair",perform a new install.

Brian

Nov 17, 2007, 12:11:00 AM11/17/07
Well, that's helpful. Make a new Win XP disk. How the ... do I do that? My
reinstallation disk came with SERVICE PACK 1a.

And I already know clean install works better.

Shenan Stanley

Nov 17, 2007, 1:46:07 AM11/17/07

First - it's best to always ignore Andrew E. around here.

Your problem with slipstreaming has *nothing* to do with the fact you have
an SP1a integrated CD - but that it is a modified OEM installation CD - not
generic. SP1a is SP1 without JavaVM. That's it. It makes no difference in
slipstreaming SP2. I've done it with CDs that have no SP, SP1 and SP1a.
Then I integrated 89 other updates into it after that.

You seem to be in a similar situation as Claymore was a few posts in and
solved it by a deletion...
http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Slipstream-Xp-Sp2-ftopict33272.html

--
Shenan Stanley