File sharing

Paul Froehle

May 31, 2005, 12:47:33 PM5/31/05
I have and XP pro with all security updates and
a Windows ME with all security updates.

At some point my file and print sharing changed.
Before it worked perfectly.

Now I can share folders and printers on the ME from the XP system,
but when ME tries to access the XP printer or a shared folder,
I get password not accepted.

Both system use the same login "paul"

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Paul . . . pfro...@hotmail.com

Michael Evanchik

May 31, 2005, 9:01:01 PM5/31/05
Paul, make sure of 3 things

1) they computers are on the same workgroup name (or domain if your using one)
2) the xp machine has a the username and password that the person logs in
with on the ME machine in the xp control panal > users or right click my
computer and go to manage.

that always does the trick

mike

www.michaelevanchik.com

Paul Froehle

Jun 1, 2005, 11:52:01 PM6/1/05
That is the way it was set up and it worked.
Something has happened in the updates that has made it so no password works.
Why should I need a password to connect a shared printer?

I know one is set right because the ME machine can see the shares.
If I try to open one it asks for a password, but it won't accept it.

Hope someone can help,
Paul ..pfro...@hotmail.com
"Michael Evanchik" <Michael...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:E511B3C2-B556-4AEC...@microsoft.com...

Michael Evanchik

Jun 2, 2005, 12:14:38 AM6/2/05
on the xp maching are u sure u can sign on with the same username and
password as the me machine? try it

Lord Dark Helmet

Jun 2, 2005, 3:00:02 PM6/2/05
This maybe a Windows Firewall problem. If you are up to date on you service
packs, and you have installed Service Pack 2 then you now have the Windows
Firewall running. By default File and Print Sharing is turned off. Check to
see if File and Printer Sharing is allowed in your Windows XP System. You
can check that in the Control Panel--Windows Firewall. All you have to do is
check the box. See if that works

Paul Froehle

Jun 5, 2005, 1:40:55 AM6/5/05
Yes I can. This is the account on the XP machine that I am sending this
from.
Also note that the printer wants a password that it won't accept and if I
click on the computer name in Network places on the me machine, it wants a
password and won't accept the xp password.

"Michael Evanchik" <Michael...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:45387291-EC29-4997...@microsoft.com...

Paul Froehle

Jun 5, 2005, 1:49:20 AM6/5/05
The windows firewall is on File and print sharing is on. However if I turn
off the firewall, I still can't get in. the ME machine will not accept my XP
password even though the accounts are the same.
The xp account is an administrator account.

The only thing I can figure is somewhere there is another switch that
forbids XP to accept any outside user or password.

I have a friend with 2 XP Home machines that do the same thing. One can
access the other but not backwards. Both use the same user name and
passwords, both are in the "@home" workgroup.

In both cases, the scheme worked for a while and sometime the auto
corrections turned it off in one machine. The wizards say everything is OK,
but no passwords are ever accepted.

Anyone have any ideas.

"Lord Dark Helmet" <LordDar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7AAB5180-EBF3-49A6...@microsoft.com...

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Jun 5, 2005, 1:00:17 PM6/5/05
Paul Froehle wrote:

> The windows firewall is on File and print sharing is on. However if
> I turn off the firewall, I still can't get in. the ME machine will
> not accept my XP password even though the accounts are the same.
> The xp account is an administrator account.
>
> The only thing I can figure is somewhere there is another switch
> that forbids XP to accept any outside user or password.

> (snip)
Hi,

It could be a ForceGuest issue...

Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, default all connections
coming from "the network" will be authenticated as the Guest User.

Note that for WinXP Home you cannot disable the ForceGuest behavior
(only in WinXP Pro).

A direct registry edit is possible to change this setting:

HOWTO: Validate User Credentials on Microsoft Operating Systems

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;180548

<quote>
On Windows XP, the ForceGuest registry value is set to 1 by default in
the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

On a Windows XP computer that is a member of a workgroup:

If ForceGuest is enabled (set to 1), SSPI will always try to log on
using the Guest account.

If the Guest account is enabled, an SSPI logon will succeed as Guest
for any user credentials.

If the Guest account is disabled, an SSPI logon will fail even for
valid credentials.

If ForceGuest is disabled (set to 0), SSPI will log on as the specified
user.

</quote>

Note that "Folder Options/Use simple file sharing" and GPEDIT.MSC and
the "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts"
policy setting is just another way of changing the ForceGuest value.

More about ForceGuest here as well:

How to Set Security in Windows XP Professional That Is Installed
in a Workgroup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290403

SMTP Authentication Configuration on Windows XP Professional Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304707

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Paul Froehle

Jun 9, 2005, 5:25:39 PM6/9/05
This fixed half the problem. I can now access the ipc and printers.
It still will not accept my password to share a file. If it is not hidden it
makes a connection, but when I try to access it, I says that the other
computer rejected the connection.

Anyone have any ideas?
paul

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote in message

sinanco

Jun 20, 2005, 10:34:56 AM6/20/05

this is actually pretty simple,

as Torgeir quoted-

Note that for Windows XP in a workgroup setting, default all
connections
coming from "the network" will be authenticated as the Guest User.

so all you have to do is go to user accounts and enable the 'Guest
User' and then go to Edit Accounts and edit guest account, either
change the password or don't use one.. that should fix the password
problem.

--
sinancoPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access