would someone PLEASE help me?

Gary

Aug 14, 2003, 7:22:55 AM8/14/03
Getting a little frustrated that I've had no one offer
any help after almost a week of posting here.

So here goes, again....

When I try to access user accounts in my contol panel, I
get a message that says "wrong number of arguments or
invalid property assignment".

When I right-click on My Computer, go to Manage, and then
to Local Users & Groups, Local Users & Groups is X-ed
out, and when I click on the x-ed out Users & Groups, it
says 'unable to access computer: the error was bad syntax'

What the heck has happened? How do I fix this? Can I fix
this?

Hope someone out there or at Microsoft will help me!!
Gary

my computer: IBM ThinkPad R32
my OS: XP Professional

Mike Woolley (MSFT)

Aug 20, 2003, 5:23:46 PM8/20/03
Hi Gary,

What with the viruses going around we've been busy ;)

Try these steps, this has worked for others with the same issue:

Extract a new copy of nusrmgr.cpl (User Account) from the setup disc to
isolate the
issue as the following:

1. Rename C:\windows\system32\nusrmgr.cpl:

1) Open Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu, and click Folder
Options.

2) On the View tab, select the 'Show hidden files and folders'
option,
deselect the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option, and click OK.

3) Navigate to C:\windows\system32.

4) Right click nusrmgr.cpl, click Rename, type nusrmgr.old in the
box, and
press Enter to confirm.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD.

3. Click Start, click Run, type "CMD" (without the quotation marks), and
then
click OK.

4. Type <cdrom>: and then press Enter.

Note: <cdrom> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive. For example,
if the
CD-ROM drive is D:, type D: and press Enter.

5. At the CD-ROM drive prompt, Type "CD I386" (without the quotation
marks), and
then press Enter.

6. At the I386> prompt, type "expand nusrmgr.cp_
C:\Windows\system32\nusrmgr.cpl"
(without the quotation marks), and press Enter.

Note: There are two spaces in this command.

7. Type "exist" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter to close
the
command window.

8. Check to see if User Accounts can be opened properly in Control Panel.

originated.

Gary

Aug 21, 2003, 6:24:37 PM8/21/03
Thanks! Will give it a shot and get back to you....

>.

Gary

Aug 23, 2003, 9:14:59 AM8/23/03
Here's my dilemma....I think.

Windows XP came preinstalled on my computer, and I don't
appear to have a Windows XP CD. I have the Office XP
CD's, though, but I think that what you are asking me to
find is not on those disks....

Got a Plan B?

>.

Mike Woolley (MSFT)